Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

coca cola xmas ad

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Plus its not a true Coke xma sadd as it doesn't have THE song

Holidays are coming, holidays are coming.....tis the season....

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I miss the Lurpak ads with Douglas, that's when you used to know it was Christmas.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
bit of trivia but Father Christmas is red and not multi-coloured like the gay rainbow flag because of Coke adverts.

and dat's da truth.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Buzzer said:
bit of trivia but Father Christmas is red and not multi-coloured like the gay rainbow flag because of Coke adverts.

and dat's da truth.

I heard that that's just a marketing myth

In fact:

"Coca-Cola's advertising has had a significant impact on American culture, and is frequently credited with the "invention" of the modern image of Santa Claus as an old man in red-and-white garments; however, while the company did in fact start promoting this image in the 1930s in its winter advertising campaigns, it was already common before that.[22]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca_cola

Last edited:

dunno

Old Skool
Jul 6, 2003
At work - probably
desprateseagull said:
its a bit better than the M&S one, i suppose..

you're right but I think I'm obsessed by the one on the left - she does most of the lingerie ads

_41165068_mands.jpg

:love:

5 past Kuipers

Is that the time?
Feb 22, 2006
Tunbridge Wells
Buzzer said:

and dat's da truth.

As WW says, you have been got at by the marketeers. Give yourself minus 10 points in a QI stylee.

St Nick wears red because of some brilliant artist from the turn of last century. It was his drawings that became the abiding image of good old Santy.

Shegull

Jul 7, 2003
On a Bed of Roses
I like the Guinness ad :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: home of the black stuff dreaming of a white one

but not sure if you can get it over there

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Has the Toys R Us advert that hasn't changed in the last 20 years been on yet. 'There's a magical place we're all, now we're there, with toys in their millions all under one roof, it's called Toys R us"

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Billy the Fish said:
Has the Toys R Us advert that hasn't changed in the last 20 years been on yet. 'There's a magical place we're all, now we're there, with toys in their millions all under one roof, it's called Toys R us"

Am yet to see it, but was bluetoothed the song in a lecture the other week.

There's a magical place
We're on our way there.
With toys in their millions
All under one roof.
It's called Toys "R" Us!

Soon after bedtime
When dark night-time falls
Geoffrey and helpers
Stock up on the shelves.
>From ceiling to floor
Books, board games and bikes.
Teddies, puppets and dolls.
Bats, spaceships and trikes.
"There's millions!" says Geoffrey
"All under one roof".
It's called Toys "R" Us,
Toys "R" Us, Toys "R" Us.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
dunno said:
you're right but I think I'm obsessed by the one on the left - she does most of the lingerie ads

_41165068_mands.jpg

:love:

Twiggy would still get it, if only to claim my silver wings.

The one on the left looks FILTH when trying out the latest M&S skimpies.

Withdean Wanderer said:
I heard that that's just a marketing myth

In fact:

"Coca-Cola's advertising has had a significant impact on American culture, and is frequently credited with the "invention" of the modern image of Santa Claus as an old man in red-and-white garments; however, while the company did in fact start promoting this image in the 1930s in its winter advertising campaigns, it was already common before that.[22]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca_cola

Thus missing the point...

Nobody claims that Coca-Cola invented the red and white santa, but its marketing muscle has ensured that it has become the dominant one. Prior to the Coke ads, brown, yellow, green, red (but not bright red - more like russet) ... all sorts of colours were common. Indeed, in countries without a history of massive Coke marketing, they still are (I remember seeing all sorts of Santas except red in Vilnius back in the 1990s, although that's probably changed now...). But here, and in the States, and in most other places, the red and white santa has become the only one that is recognised - and that is down to Coca-Cola.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here