Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CMS Today

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
So a strike rate of 1 in 2 this season isn't good enough for you? a rate that is higher than most strikers at this level.
And do work rate or the other dimensions a player brings to the side count for nothing too? just goals?

If his contribution leads to a win, it shouldn't matter who scored the goals.

Would you rather have a striker who contributed very little for 90 minutes (lazy, uninterested, etc..) but scores penalties and had 15 to 20 so far this season and we lose more games and have less points or someone like CMS who adds so much more than just goals to the side and helps us to get more points with or without his goals.

Sounds like you described glenn murry.top scorer of our league and if he carrys on going will be the altime highest scorer in this league.cms his strike rate looks good but when you look at the amount he s missed or games when he s just run around its not good enough.he s to easily knocked off the ball and touch is nt good enough. He does try hard but thats what hes paid to do his finishing isnt clinical hence missing at millwall one on one at palace a penelty. as many points his contributied he s also csot us a few as well.i hope he does well for us as i do every albion player but needs tp get more goals as the chance to goal ratio poor and we did buy him for that reason.

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
So a strike rate of 1 in 2 this season isn't good enough for you? a rate that is higher than most strikers at this level.
And do work rate or the other dimensions a player brings to the side count for nothing too? just goals?

If his contribution leads to a win, it shouldn't matter who scored the goals.

Would you rather have a striker who contributed very little for 90 minutes (lazy, uninterested, etc..) but scores penalties and had 15 to 20 so far this season and we lose more games and have less points or someone like CMS who adds so much more than just goals to the side and helps us to get more points with or without his goals.

Sounds like you described glenn murry.top scorer of our league and if he carrys on going will be the altime highest scorer in this league.cms his strike rate looks good but when you look at the amount he s missed or games when he s just run around its not good enough.he s to easily knocked off the ball and touch is nt good enough. He does try hard but thats what hes paid to do his finishing isnt clinical hence missing at millwall one on one at palace a penelty. as many points his contributied he s also csot us a few as well.i hope he does well for us as i do every albion player but needs tp get more goals as the chance to goal ratio poor and we did buy him for that reason.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
imagine how much of a nightmare he'd be coming on for the last 20

He's a bloody nightmare when he starts never mind the last 20.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Obviously didn't notice that the only time we came under pressure was after Macca went off? We lost our shape and rhythm.. Macca is an important part of how Gus sets us up to play whether you see that or not.

At f***ing last !!!!!
someone else who actually was watching the match properly !!!
Exactly what happened my friend correct in every way !!!!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Obviously didn't notice that the only time we came under pressure was after Macca went off? We lost our shape and rhythm.. Macca is an important part of how Gus sets us up to play whether you see that or not.

I think you're reading a bit too much into Macca's substitution.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Can't believe some see cms as key to Gus' game plan. He can't control the ball but on the odd occassion he does, he then fails with the simpler task of retaining it or passing it. How you can draw a correlation between cms going off and Newcastle turning the screw is beyond me. It is a cup tie and they were down to 10 men. It wouldn't have mattered who had gone off, there was bound to be a spell of pressure.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
For all his good work rate CMS's main problem is that he operates at 200 miles an hour all the time - bloody chaotic in fact - which I believe is the cause behind his poor first touch the majority of time and complete lack of composure in front of goal unless his chances are snapshots where he's got no time to think about it. IMHO there is absolutely no way he would have converted the goal that Hoskins scored. CMS needs to calm himself down and leave his chaotic approach to hassling and closing down the other team's defenders. I believe this is the difference with Hoskins where generally he is far more composed when the ball is at his feet.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Most opposing teams are scared of CMS,he runs and runs...and any player who gives 100% effort is great in my book....he is still our top scorer....seems some fans must always have to have someone to be the bad boy. Delighted for Hoskins,his first touch was not too good but then did a great diamond move on the left and got his goal with great speed of thinking....overall,great game and cannot fault any player in the stripes....sometimes it seems if...I mean if...we beat Mn U 10-0 there would be someone criticising an Albion player.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Like it or not, when the Newcastle back 4 had time, they were pumping balls up in the air to our peno area, didn't happen when cms was pressing IMO!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Like it or not, when the Newcastle back 4 had time, they were pumping balls up in the air to our peno area, didn't happen when cms was pressing IMO!

Equally it could have been Newcastle getting increasingly desperate as time was running out?

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Equally it could have been Newcastle getting increasingly desperate as time was running out?

They started the 2nd half pumping balls up but cms restricted the flow, just my opinion :)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
He's a bloody nightmare when he starts never mind the last 20.

Chuckles - you know what I meant. People have gone a bit overboard with "get rid" lately, it's like players have to either be in the starting 11 or "get rid", there is such a thing as a squad player.

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
He didn't have good game but I am still a big fan of his!

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
For all his good work rate CMS's main problem is that he operates at 200 miles an hour all the time - bloody chaotic in fact - which I believe is the cause behind his poor first touch the majority of time and complete lack of composure in front of goal unless his chances are snapshots where he's got no time to think about it. IMHO there is absolutely no way he would have converted the goal that Hoskins scored. CMS needs to calm himself down and leave his chaotic approach to hassling and closing down the other team's defenders. I believe this is the difference with Hoskins where generally he is far more composed when the ball is at his feet.

I said pretty much the same thing on another thread a few days ago. He just needs to slow down a little when 200mph isn't needed. He does harass defenders and goalkeepers and I sure as hell would hate to play against him but he does need to vary his speed.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For all his good work rate CMS's main problem is that he operates at 200 miles an hour all the time - bloody chaotic in fact - which I believe is the cause behind his poor first touch.

CMS' first touches - first half

Good 8
Attacking 1 (first time cross)
Meh 1 (header attempting to loop over defender to Barnes).
Poor 1 (which was actually a shocking 3rd touch after some nice control)

Second half

Good 2
Attacking 1
Meh 0
Poor 1

Whichever way you cut it, 4 touches in the second half isn't right.
Oh yeah littered with poor touches, yesterday.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Most opposing teams are scared of CMS,he runs and runs...and any player who gives 100% effort is great in my book....he is still our top scorer....seems some fans must always have to have someone to be the bad boy. Delighted for Hoskins,his first touch was not too good but then did a great diamond move on the left and got his goal with great speed of thinking....overall,great game and cannot fault any player in the stripes....sometimes it seems if...I mean if...we beat Mn U 10-0 there would be someone criticising an Albion player.

Don't recall the Palace, Millwall, Newcastle, Watford, Middlesborough, et seq, centrebacks looking terrified by the guy trying in vain to close them down. Just stayed calm whilst smoking havanas.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You have to remember that Hoskins has had no game time so should improve even further with games under his belt. He lacks CMS energy but has better ball control and is much more capable of using the ball in tight spaces. I'd give him a run and use CMS as an impact sub. He'd maybe get his confidence back running at a tired defence too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here