Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Clubs to Vote on VAR removal

Ceej

Feb 1, 2013
Manchester
How many of actually care, even if it's the opposition that score if a player is 6 inches offside?
They should take a quick look and if it's not obvious just let the goal stand.
Complete waste of time and a pain in the backside.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
How many of actually care, even if it's the opposition that score if a player is 6 inches offside?
Indeed. Also, it's the one thing that was never over-analysed in forensic detail by pundits before. If it was clear, yes, but not if it was extremely marginal - the assessment would be it was 'too close to call' - the player 'may have been' offside. Because we didn't have the nonsense with the angles and lines.

Fine, if VAR spots an obvious mistake (which is what it was meant to be for), but it is actually impossible with current technology to know whether a player was definitely offside or not. They can't measure the precise nano-second the ball was kicked and also can't measure accurately enough with precise angles whether a tiny part of a forward's anatomy may be ahead of the defender at that specific moment.

If it's not clear within seconds of looking at it, go with the on-field decision. That seems a screamingly obvious solution, but of course the football authorities can't see it.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Just watching olympic taekwondo on TV. VAR has UHD pictures that can not only zoom right in but have 360 degree visibility. A foot to the head took seconds to decide.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
I think this is what most of us thought we were getting, not the absolute to the mm rule book we now have. Hand of god type incidences, cleared off the line, penalties, deliberate handball, obvious offside etc. I certainly didn't envisage clear and obvious to mean if we closely examine it from multiple slow motion angles for five minutes.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think this is what most of us thought we were getting, not the absolute to the mm rule book we now have. Hand of god type incidences, cleared off the line, penalties, deliberate handball, obvious offside etc. I certainly didn't envisage clear and obvious to mean if we closely examine it from multiple slow motion angles for five minutes.
Yes, but try explaining this to PGMOL. They just don't have the nouse or common sense to realise this.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I think replays could be used to fix obvious blown calls. VAR was not getting that job done. Let's hope EPL finds a way to make it work.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Yes, but try explaining this to PGMOL. They just don't have the nouse or common sense to realise this.
And this is what I don't get. I would strongly suspect that the way I thought things were going to work and how I think they should work is shared by the vast majority of people involved in the game, from fans, to players, club employees etc. So who the f*** is in charge of ignoring the wishes of the majority? If they really cannot manage to separate precision refereeing from clear and obvious then we need another system, I have long been in favour of how tennis and cricket do it. Each team has one VAR call. If the protest is upheld you keep the call, if not you lose it and that's your VAR for the game.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
The "technology" of a fat middle-aged man watching a TV screen was ancient and obsolete before it even arrived. I give it 5 years until the ref gets a signal in his clock saying, with AI judging if its a foul or not, if its supposed to be a goal kick or corner etc.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
And this is what I don't get. I would strongly suspect that the way I thought things were going to work and how I think they should work is shared by the vast majority of people involved in the game, from fans, to players, club employees etc. So who the f*** is in charge of ignoring the wishes of the majority? If they really cannot manage to separate precision refereeing from clear and obvious then we need another system, I have long been in favour of how tennis and cricket do it. Each team has one VAR call. If the protest is upheld you keep the call, if not you lose it and that's your VAR for the game.
Sadly, many people - even some on here - think it is wonderful to be able to have an 'absolute' yay or nay on offside. They might moan about the time it takes, or about the VAR trying to find ways to disallow goals, but they still go down the line that 'offside is offside' even by a toenail.

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
It would never ever work if used this way, though, as within 5 minutes of the call, the online world would be awash with evidence that - although very marginal - the call was indeed offside, and the goal shouldn't have stood, or whatever. Whilst on paper it sounds good, it would be about the most controversial way to use the technology. It would make VAR calls subjective, and everyone has an opinion. Bin it.

Reactions: SAC

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
It’s far too entrenched at world level now to scrap it. It’s crap, everyone knows it’s crap, but too many mouths are being fed by it for it to be removed. It’s a sort of emperor’s suit of clothes situation that‘s got totally out of hand.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
The "technology" of a fat middle-aged man watching a TV screen was ancient and obsolete before it even arrived. I give it 5 years until the ref gets a signal in his clock saying, with AI judging if its a foul or not, if its supposed to be a goal kick or corner etc.
Agreed, thought a while ago that it would be better to let AI make the decision IF you are going to use technology , it would at least be more consistent once it has been fed a load of previous decsions.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Sadly, many people - even some on here - think it is wonderful to be able to have an 'absolute' yay or nay on offside. They might moan about the time it takes, or about the VAR trying to find ways to disallow goals, but they still go down the line that 'offside is offside' even by a toenail.
The thing is, the laws are the laws so, whether people expected it to be checking for a 2mm offside or not, they were never going to apply it any other way. To me though, what it's highlighted is the lack of consideration taken for how those rules were going to be interpreted in a VAR environment.

Whether we like it or not, offside IS offside. Whether it's a toenail or a whole person and, as unsatisfying as it is to everyone who actually loves football, the laws give no margin for error. They need to create laws that enable it.

Just look at the total mess they've made of handball. How many law changes have there been on that alone? One week it hits Dunk on the elbow when it's tucked into his body and it's a pen, the next week a player slaps the ball mid-air and it isn't. When is a handball not a handball? What does "deliberate" even mean, and even if you know the answer in this context, how to you prove intent?

I still think VAR isn't the problem but that doesn't mean that it's implementation hasn't been a total shambles

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here