Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Clubs to Vote on VAR removal

dippy2449

May 24, 2004
Norfolk
Premier league statement saying there would be more errors without VAR.

Totally missing the point
If there were no VAR most would ignore the errors as "win some, lose some" and "evens itself out over a season".
With VAR the wealthier clubs seem to get the benefit more often that not. (Oh Yeah!! IMHO)

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
If there were no VAR most would ignore the errors as "win some, lose some" and "evens itself out over a season".

I don't think that's true. Fans still kicked off about injustices before we had VAR.

dippy2449

May 24, 2004
Norfolk
I don't think that's true. Fans still kicked off about injustices before we had VAR.
You may be correct but in my experience the winners say "good game wannit?" and the loosers say "F@*king Ref"

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This can be upgraded. If the robot spots someone blatantly diving, it produces a laser and vaporises the player.

it just needs to be looking the other way if buonanotte is playing

make it so Mr dippy
Like this?

1717685262851.png

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
As opposed to much more balls-ups by on-pitch refs. You think media will ignore mistakes just cos there's no VAR, I have a bridge to sell you
You're dead right - half the reason we got VAR in the first place was the media and bloody pundits using stills, slow-mo, probably lines as well, to make an enormous fuss about marginal refereeing decisions - showing us - and the football powers that be - that we had a 'problem' which needed to be corrected.
If they'd just stuck to the likes of 'Penalty? Hmm, maybe a bit harsh' or 'Offside? That was close!' instead of going down the same wormholes that VAR now grovels around in, things might have been so much better. Unfortunately, Genie-bottle-out-of etc. applies, and we're stuck with it.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I like your idea of vaporisation but think it a bit harsh, I think start with mild electric shocks for first offence. Also have a 10 metre static area around in case players try to harass the robot, not so easy to complain when your hair is frizzed and standing out at all angles.
I would however be in favour of random vaporisation for members in the VAR hub for every 30 seconds they take over a decision.
Perfect

ill vote for you.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As expected the Wolves proposal to scrap VAR was one of the most unpopular in EPL history. PL clubs have voted 19-1 in favour of keeping VAR.

I do hope that Wolves released a statement claiming that this result is the tyranny of the majority.

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
They keep saying that many more decisions are correct with var. But I'd like to see what the data says if you take out the extremely marginal offside decisions. Many of us don't consider that these were really wrong in the first place.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
As opposed to refs making decisions on their own in favour of the bigger clubs/players….
That still happens with VAR. Do you really think those five decisions that went against us at Spurs the other season would have been given if we were at home to Bournemouth?

Football is meant to be a spontaneous game. To examine every decision in forensic detail sucks all the joy out of it.

As usual, the fans' opinions count for nothing.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Premier league statement saying there would be more errors without VAR.

Totally missing the point
And it would be more exciting, the game will never be perfect.

If each club has polled STH on renewal whether to keep I wonder what the outcome would have been?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As expected the Wolves proposal to scrap VAR was one of the most unpopular in EPL history. PL clubs have voted 19-1 in favour of keeping VAR.
Interesting that clubs are, seemingly, so out of tune with supporters on this topic.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They keep saying that many more decisions are correct with var. But I'd like to see what the data says if you take out the extremely marginal offside decisions. Many of us don't consider that these were really wrong in the first place.
Maybe this is the case. But it’s a significant cost to spectator enjoyment.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
Interesting that clubs are, seemingly, so out of tune with supporters on this topic.
Indeed.

Barber constantly bangs on about ‘enhancing the matchday experience’. For me, that’s the match itself, not shiny accessories like a fan zone or flares being set off. My ‘matchday experience’ has certainly not been enhanced by VAR, quite the opposite, with spontaneity having been almost completely eroded.

I know it seems that we’re now in a world where fans opinions and desires count for very little but, if our club genuinely cared about ‘enhancing the matchday experience’ (rather than just trotting that out as a part of corporate-world buzzword bingo), they would properly survey our fans opinions and act/vote accordingly, rather than arrogantly assuming that their vote to retain VAR represents what fans actually want. But that would be seen as rocking the PL boat and that would never do!

This approach should be adopted across all 19 clubs. I’m surprised the FSA haven’t got more involved in trying to drive this through at each club. (Perhaps they have and I’ve not seen it).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But clubs make most of their income out of supporters that don't go to matches.
True but surely it's as frustrating for armchair fans as it is fans in the ground?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Maybe this is the case. But it’s a significant cost to spectator enjoyment.
How do you judge a correct decision?

Offside and ball over the line are the only 2 calls I can think of that are 100 percent provable to be a correct decision - off/on or over the line or not

The rest is subjective.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I'm really surprised that Wolves were the only club to want rid of VAR,I would be very interested on the reasons they decided to keep it.
On average I think I read that every game in the EPL last season took 103 minutes, obviously not all the time added would be for VAR but that's ridiculous,so could it be that clubs are taking more money in the extra time with a captive audience so thought nah keep it it's worth a extra 200 pints and 47 pies?

I just can't fathom why clubs keep saying football is nothing without fans,yet basically haven't listened to their own fans views on the monster that is VAR.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
How do you judge a correct decision?

Offside and ball over the line are the only 2 calls I can think of that are 100 percent provable to be a correct decision - off/on or over the line or not

The rest is subjective.
Offside isn’t 100% provable. There’s a margin of error due to camera frame speed and inability to determine precisely when the ball left the players foot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here