Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Club sign comedian as stand-in goalkeeper!

:J)

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Club signs comedian as stand-in goalkeeper!

Or should that be stand-up?

BBC web site

Southend have signed stand-up comedian Terry Alderton as a stand-in to solve a goalkeeping shortage.

Shrimpers have Bart Griemink injured and Darryl Flahavan suspended, leaving boss Andy Tilson short of cover.

Alderton, on Southend's books as a youngster, impressed playing in Sky's "The Match" where celebrities faced former professionals at Newcastle.

Alderton, 33, has registered on a non-contract basis and is available for the League Two match with Swansea.

Alderton, who used to host the National Lottery, told Southend's website: "It's fantastic to sign for the club I support.

"I was here as a youngster but football never really worked out for me and I took up comedy instead.

"It's great that I can now come back and tread the hallowed turf."

Alderton showed few nerves in front of a 50,000 crowd at St James Park, which included watching Shrimpers' boss Tilson.

Alderton said: "Playing in the match last week will be nothing compared to being at Roots Hall.

"Southend is far bigger because three points could be at stake against Swansea.

"Hopefully the boss will be able to get somebody else, but you never know," added Alderton, who has been given squad number 24.

---

Comedy Steve - when can we expect you to turn out for the mighty stripes?

Last edited:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
saw that on sky sports this morning - brilliant:lolol: :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here