Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Club Shop

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
Is it not time the club had a proper presence in Churchill Square? There's enough closing down shops to choose from. The Habitat premises for example (and that one on the corner that was the old Virgin that sells all that dated novelty tat can't have long to go shirley).

Who know how much the club could sell to passing people who wouldn't normally seek out the club shop(s)? Besides, being in Churchill Square would FORCE them to open on a Sunday, as well as providing a few more local jobs. It's a no-brainer really.

Hi there friend,

The reality of the situation is that believe it or not, it HAD been decided that once the Amex shop was up and running properly, selling all their mis-spelt items like glasswear (haha), they were going to close the Queens Road store. In effect having no pressence in the town centre at all just like the good old days.

Amazingly, they came to their senses, or at least for now. I understand from one of the new members of staff within the new QRd team, that it is down to them to make a success of the store to keep it open.

Being incredibly sarcastic, the ticket office will make a few quid this week selling the car park bays to us disabled bunch at £180 a time. Nice work if you can get it!

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
Is it not time the club had a proper presence in Churchill Square? There's enough closing down shops to choose from. The Habitat premises for example (and that one on the corner that was the old Virgin that sells all that dated novelty tat can't have long to go shirley).

Who know how much the club could sell to passing people who wouldn't normally seek out the club shop(s)? Besides, being in Churchill Square would FORCE them to open on a Sunday, as well as providing a few more local jobs. It's a no-brainer really.

we are not manchester united....in a few weeks the shop will be near empty except on match days.

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
Erm....no it's not.

Sadly, being a believer in the Sabbath (Black that is!) In a normal week, not a school holiday, the figures reflect that Sunday at Churchill Sq is only just behind Saturday as quote "the busiest day".

Hard to believe I know but go up there on a rainy sunday and you cannot move for poor saps being dragged around unwillingly by their better halves.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Hi there friend,

The reality of the situation is that believe it or not, it HAD been decided that once the Amex shop was up and running properly, selling all their mis-spelt items like glasswear (haha), they were going to close the Queens Road store. In effect having no pressence in the town centre at all just like the good old days.

Amazingly, they came to their senses, or at least for now. I understand from one of the new members of staff within the new QRd team, that it is down to them to make a success of the store to keep it open.

Hiya mate

Not quite the same as having a presence in Churchill Square tho is it? Doubt very much that anybody using the Churchill Square car park, unless they're dyed-in-the-wool Albion fans, is even going to know of the Queen's Road shop's existence, let alone impulse-buy there. It's just plain stupid not to have a shop or at least a stall in Churchill Square. IMHO, like.

As for charging disabled fans £180 to park, well, about the best that can be said on that score is its very early days and the club will hopefully sort out that particularly painful teething problem. Unless they've changed for the worse from the club we know and love. Which I don't think they have. I just think they've had a blind spot there which will now be addressed.

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
Hiya mate

Not quite the same as having a presence in Churchill Square tho is it? Doubt very much that anybody using the Churchill Square car park, unless they're dyed-in-the-wool Albion fans, is even going to know of the Queen's Road shop's existence, let alone impulse-buy there. It's just plain stupid not to have a shop or at least a stall in Churchill Square. IMHO, like.

As for charging disabled fans £180 to park, well, about the best that can be said on that score is its very early days and the club will hopefully sort out that particularly painful teething problem. Unless they've changed for the worse from the club we know and love. Which I don't think they have. I just think they've had a blind spot there which will now be addressed.

You may or may not be aware of the shitfest brewing about this subject. Very simply, we were all told when buying our STs that parking would be virtually outside, and would be free. This was confirmed in an email of April 29th to the leader of Albion's Disabled supporters group, BODS. Suddenly out of the blue, last week they announced we had to apply for spaces, at the cost of £180 per bay.

You'll like this bit, the letters were sent out on the 20th (everyone's postmark is the same), they had to be returned by ... 22nd. This would be a difficult task to complete for those able bodied, but for those for are not, and may have a carer that only calls once a week (govt cut backs) the task was a near impossible one.

Now call me cynical, given that they have known I've been disabled for years, but particularly on this system since February i think it was, why have they waited until now, with an unrealistic deadline, if not in the hope that no-one replies and then they can sell them for £360 to the STHs.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Err humm ... really just wanted to know if the shop was going to be open, and it isn't. Didn't wish to stir up a hornet's (or Seagulls) nest so THREAD CLOSED!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You may or may not be aware of the shitfest brewing about this subject. Very simply, we were all told when buying our STs that parking would be virtually outside, and would be free. This was confirmed in an email of April 29th to the leader of Albion's Disabled supporters group, BODS. Suddenly out of the blue, last week they announced we had to apply for spaces, at the cost of £180 per bay.

You'll like this bit, the letters were sent out on the 20th (everyone's postmark is the same), they had to be returned by ... 22nd. This would be a difficult task to complete for those able bodied, but for those for are not, and may have a carer that only calls once a week (govt cut backs) the task was a near impossible one.

Now call me cynical, given that they have known I've been disabled for years, but particularly on this system since February i think it was, why have they waited until now, with an unrealistic deadline, if not in the hope that no-one replies and then they can sell them for £360 to the STHs.

Yup, I've been following that dialogue with mounting disbelief. I still think that with everything going on, the club have just had a hugely unfortunate blind spot on this issue. It would be just ridiculous IMHO that they changed overnight from a club that cared about all of its fans to one that behaved so (apparently) callously towards its disabled fans. I just refuse to believe it is intentional. Just as I refuse to believe they won't address the issue in a way that will satisfy the genuine concerns of those who are rightly feeling betrayed by the club at the moment. I'll judge the club on how it reacts to this, and I believe they'll still emerge as the good guys. I also believe they'll be mortified at the concern they have unwittingly caused.

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
Yup, I've been following that dialogue with mounting disbelief. I still think that with everything going on, the club have just had a hugely unfortunate blind spot on this issue. It would be just ridiculous IMHO that they changed overnight from a club that cared about all of its fans to one that behaved so (apparently) callously towards its disabled fans. I just refuse to believe it is intentional. Just as I refuse to believe they won't address the issue in a way that will satisfy the genuine concerns of those who are rightly feeling betrayed by the club at the moment. I'll judge the club on how it reacts to this, and I believe they'll still emerge as the good guys. I also believe they'll be mortified at the concern they have unwittingly caused.

Yes you are absolutely correct. It is bloody hard to believe!

I wouldn't mind if this was the only example of folk being "let down" by the rush for a few quid more, but the 'genuine' reasons for complaint number over a dozen now including travel vouchers (told would be free & club taking money for pensioners even though OAPs go free on Btn Buses), 1901 dress code, & others I am not allowed to publicly comment on.

I for one would love to believe this is all a bad nightmare, and I will wake up tomorrow with a new dawn. The problem is I have been told by senior employees these are BOARD policy decisions, like it or lump it.

After 30 odd years following the stripes, my excitement for falmer has been severely deflated.

Still there is always hope!

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003

Rent in Churchill Square would be much higher than Queens Road. Also, having a shop on Queens Road also picks up passing tourist trade that comes into town by train an heads straight for the beach.

As Sunday is now the second busiest shopping day of the week, whilst I wouldn't advocate opening the Amex store, I think that there is an opportunity missed by the club on not opening the Queens Roads store on Sundays - especially in the summer.

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
Rent in Churchill Square would be much higher than Queens Road. Also, having a shop on Queens Road also picks up passing tourist trade that comes into town by train an heads straight for the beach.

As Sunday is now the second busiest shopping day of the week, whilst I wouldn't advocate opening the Amex store, I think that there is an opportunity missed by the club on not opening the Queens Roads store on Sundays - especially in the summer.

Crikey! A completely logical post on NSC. Well done sir!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
What?! Do you even KNOW the meaning of the hyphenated word you just used? :shrug:

I just thought you were taking the piss. There are a few posters on NSC who are obviously of low intelligence but I didn't have you down as one of them, therefore thought you might be on a windup to think opening a shop in churchill square is a good idea.

I'd put that on a par with any of the final apprentice business plans, it would lose more money than a crystal palace owner. Why do think there are empty spaces in Churchill square in the first place, and what makes you think the club's assorted tat in the shop would sell in sufficient volume to warrant moving 30 seconds down the road to a much more expensive location.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I just thought you were taking the piss. There are a few posters on NSC who are obviously of low intelligence but I didn't have you down as one of them, therefore thought you might be on a windup to think opening a shop in churchill square is a good idea.

I'd put that on a par with any of the final apprentice business plans, it would lose more money than a crystal palace owner. Why do think there are empty spaces in Churchill square in the first place, and what makes you think the club's assorted tat in the shop would sell in sufficient volume to warrant moving 30 seconds down the road to a much more expensive location.

Sorry, we've obviously been talking at cross-purposes mate. I'd argue that just about everybody streaming down the road from the station is a day-tripper of some kind with little or no connection to Sussex or the club and only has eyes for the sea and barely notices the shop, if at all. Whereas just about everybody shopping in Churchill Square has probably some kind of Sussex connection. Even if they're only there on holiday. I genuinely believe moving 30 seconds down the road would result in a massive increase in sales for the club.

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
Sorry, we've obviously been talking at cross-purposes mate. I'd argue that just about everybody streaming down the road from the station is a day-tripper of some kind with little or no connection to Sussex or the club and only has eyes for the sea and barely notices the shop, if at all. Whereas just about everybody shopping in Churchill Square has probably some kind of Sussex connection. Even if they're only there on holiday. I genuinely believe moving 30 seconds down the road would result in a massive increase in sales for the club.

i think your right mate, also think it would be worth a limited opening time up The Amex on a sunday 11-3 or something, especially at the moment as people want to go and have the experience etc.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks

Good post. I've been in Brighton today and just about the only shop I saw that was shut was the Club Shop. Agree it would be a bit silly to open the Falmer store on Sundays, 1st couple of weeks would be ok but after that would be dead.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Good post. I've been in Brighton today and just about the only shop I saw that was shut was the Club Shop. Agree it would be a bit silly to open the Falmer store on Sundays, 1st couple of weeks would be ok but after that would be dead.

Unless it was in Churchill Square.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Unless it was in Churchill Square.

for what it's worth I totally agree , I'm still suprised by the amount of people who say they found it "by accident , just walking down from the train station - didn't know you had/ could afford* a club shop"

* said by many cocky Premiership fans

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Completely this. Would certainly be worth them opening it on a Sunday, probably more popular than a week day I would have thought.

Yep. Drove there the first Sunday after the SSCF. Turned away by security.

They are throwing away business, as plenty of other cars were being turned away at the same time.

With out of town shopping popular even on Sundays to avoid central Brighton congestion (Next, ASDA, Holmbush etc), th AMEX would make sense, not Queens Road.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

We don't always agree THPP, but you are 100% correct here. If we had a shiny shop in Churchill Square it would be taken much more seriously and I think it would immediately give the club a far more visible presence in the area.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here