Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Clooney, Wahlberg, Neeson etc.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
What drives these actors to keep on churning out films of increasingly diminishing quality, often for streaming services, middle and older aged men, Stallone, Pitt, Damon, Cruise, pre-dementia Willis etc.? It can surely only be ego or boredom because none of them need the money. Not a new phenomenon I appreciate, but it does seem to be largely the preserve of men, often in the 'action' genre, which makes the whole thing even more absurd.

Super Sub

Aug 13, 2016
I guess it’s all about personal preference and what kind of films you like but in the last 2 weeks, I’ve watched Arthur the King (Wahlberg) and Ticket to Paradise (Clooney) and enjoyed them both.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
What drives these actors to keep on churning out films of increasingly diminishing quality, often for streaming services, middle and older aged men, Stallone, Pitt, Damon, Cruise, pre-dementia Willis etc.? It can surely only be ego or boredom because none of them need the money. Not a new phenomenon I appreciate, but it does seem to be largely the preserve of men, often in the 'action' genre, which makes the whole thing even more absurd.
Fine set of actors….how dare you criticise Liam, so take that back…or…
I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will tickle you.

Last edited:

BiffyBoy

Aug 20, 2012
I imagine Mark Wahlberg is surprised people actually pay him to act. I guess he'll take the cash while he can. He is such a bad/one-dimensional actor; I'm sure he's delighted he can do movies instead of all that Marky Marky stuff.

SkirlieWirlie

Jan 6, 2024
My perception is it's not just the older middle age actors with careers are in decline. I've been taken aback by the number of supposedly younger 'A listers' appearing in mediocre streaming productions in quick succession.

I get a sense that the pandemic has had a part to play with cinemas losing importance more quickly than they were, but the reality and wider issue is the money shifting to Netflix/Prime/Apple/etc as that's where the public are spending their hard earned cash.

And the streamers are in a rush to generate as much of their own "exclusive" content as quickly as possible to grow and retain market share and I guess the actors don't have much of a choice if they want to continue in the industry.

Sad really. Used to love the likes of Film 87 with Barry Norman and the anticipation of going to the cinema for the release of the next big movie, which you knew you wouldn't see on TV/Video for several years if you missed it on the big screen. Much more of an occasion and made films much more enjoyable for me.

BiffyBoy

Aug 20, 2012
The streaming services must also be throwing cash at these actors to get some market share.

Everyone wants a big name attached to it. It reminds me of when independent filmmakers needed a big-name star, so they brought in heavy-hitting actors like Callum Best or Asif from Eastenders. Award-winning movies like "Dangerous Game" would have flopped without Callum Best.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I imagine Mark Wahlberg is surprised people actually pay him to act. I guess he'll take the cash while he can. He is such a bad/one-dimensional actor; I'm sure he's delighted he can do movies instead of all that Marky Marky stuff.
I liked him better when he was lead singer of The Fall.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
Damon, Cruise, Neeson, Butler, DiCaprio, Wahlberg. I still love most their movies. Nothing wrong with escapism, through a simple plot. Hip movies that appear in Guardian best movies lists are largely great too.
Early Wahlberg was good when he’s basically playing himself early bad boy BasketBall diaries. I don’t know what to make of religious family man Wahlberg now. Di Caprio imo was/is a level above the others. And dare I say it I think Tom Cruise is actually a good actor. Butler is B movie level imo, but the women love him or at least they used to.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Early Wahlberg was good when he’s basically playing himself early bad boy BasketBall diaries. I don’t know what to make of religious family man Wahlberg now. Do Caprio imo was is a level above the others. Dare I say it though I think Tom Cruise is actually a good actor. Butler B movie level the women love him though or at least they used to.

There’s often been snobbery about movies, of actors ‘selling out’ chasing money. Kermode is scathing of Neeson for lowering himself for the Taken trilogy. I love them.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I suspect there is quite a bit of cash involved in the decision.
I also doubt Mark Wahlberg was ever in it for the sake of art, has he ever made a film that wasn't just fun and not serious?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I suspect there is quite a bit of cash involved in the decision.
I also doubt Mark Wahlberg was ever in it for the sake of art, has he ever made a film that wasn't just fun and not serious?
I quite like Marky Mark, he's got some decent films in his back catalog

Boogie Nights
The Departed
The Fighter
Deepwater Horizon
The Perfect Storm

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
Maybe they like working?

SAC

May 21, 2014
Actors are self employed and similar to many self employed people will wonder where their next payday will come, so they take any old shit if the price is right.

We think that these multi millionaires can't need the money but perhaps they have expensive "habits", expensive children, expensive divorces etc to pay for. Or, they may just be bored when not working. If you enjoy the process, however shit the films turn out, then why not?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here