Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Climate change: Tax frequent fliers and get rid of SUVs, + California on fire.

larus

Well, you must have some powerful time machines to find data showing the climate in the future to compare it with current models :ffsparr:
All you can do is take current models and compare it to historical data, as we CAN NOT have anything but historical data.
Can you let me know next weeks lottery tickets?

I'll try one last time with you.

You quoted an article about palaeodata - that involves going back through hundreds of thousand/millions of years using things such as ice cores (where the level of granularity is very low).

The charts have compared the projections from the climate models (as they have produced their outputs over the last 30 odd years) to what was actually observed. It really is not complicated. Did you leave school with any qualifications as you don't really come across as very bright.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
DA228E42-C770-4FAF-AB4A-2C9009F17B68.jpeg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Well, you must have some powerful time machines to find data showing the climate in the future to compare it with current models :ffsparr:
All you can do is take current models and compare it to historical data, as we CAN NOT have anything but historical data.
Can you let me know next weeks lottery tickets?

to try and help here, you can also have historic models with current data. so look at the model compare the prediction matches to now. the graph presented is doing just that. thats not the full story because its measuring temperature in the upper atmosphere, not at surface. it can be said though that only thing consistent in the model is inconsistency, starting from so many models with varying outcomes in the first place.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
SUV's can do one, frivolous class of vehicle.

tax on frequent fliers is a selfish attitude, people want air travel to reduce but still want their holiday abroad.

The trouble is that morons do not realise that the economy and emissions from the latest SUVs are much improved on a 15 year old saloon car.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
The trouble is that morons do not realise that the economy and emissions from the latest SUVs are much improved on a 15 year old saloon car.

that could be a problem if someone was saying that.

Last edited:

Music City Gull

Not Changing This, Bozza
Jun 28, 2020
12 South
I just can't get my head round it.

As I frequently say my Twitter account is just post after post of positivity from moving away from a car culture and yet this country can't stop fighting it.

Yesterday we rode through Littlehampton, on our way for a coffee.

Over the years millions have been spent on the riverside.
I assume due to Covid 400 yards of Pier Rd have been closed to through traffic.

The difference is absolutely amazing
People weren't rammed onto the prom.
It was almost silent.
It was so unbelievably different.

All for the 4 plastic barriers and 2 signs.

I say this as a somewhat known contributor in my little nook of water resource policy and hazardous waste in the field of environmental economics - you, especially, make me laugh with your hatred of the United States specifically because you think it would be easy to scale up countries with relative monocultures and with relative landscapes that are all almost exclusively smaller than the state of Louisiana (including England) to this country. The logistics just simply aren’t in the realm of similarity and your twitter account (American created, btw) isn’t proof of anything.

Hell, get out of your weird bubble and google Silicon Valley or American start up electric vehicle companies. Just like Elon Musk (American, so bad to you) wants Bezos and amazon competing in the space race he wants more companies fighting Tesla in the green(er) energy market. And they are doing that with some amazing technology and being large scale produced within the next 24 months with investment dollars that would make the American green industry itself a top 7 world economy. Countries our size simply can’t change overnight.

Check out companies like Rivian (American), Fisher Ocean, or Triton if you want an answer to what America is doing. Green(er) energy and consumption is the new Apple/Microsoft/Dell/Compaq technology war in Silicon Valley. Hell, check out comedian Tim Minchin (big time liberal and not American, (yay! they all suck!)) say that greenies, including himself, biggest mistake made was stopping the potential advancement of nuclear energy.

You want us to have policies that would simply kill our economy and you think that’s a realistic parameter in your arguments? Good times. Grow up bubble boy.

Btw, I suggest you watch this video of a big time liberal Bill Maher giving you some helpful advice about diversifying your twitter account since you admitted everyone on your twitter account agrees with you (because you choose to follow them). It’s not healthy as there is now real time data it is leading to depression, loneliness, issues with coping and is a causational factor in the increase of suicides among young people.

My country could be doing a lot of things better. But STFU criticizing us because we don’t do things like Denmark. You’ll get your likes on here, but you’re not actually growing as an intelligent individual.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I say this as a somewhat known contributor in my little nook of water resource policy and hazardous waste in the field of environmental economics - you, especially, make me laugh with your hatred of the United States

Sorry I have no desire to read beyond that.

I frequently holiday in the States.
The moment I turned 21 I was off across the pond clutching my unlimited Greyhound ticket and it's still one of the happiest times of my life.
I've returned numerous times since and have only ever found America and Americans warm and welcoming to me.

Half my current touchstones are Americans through sport, entertainment and politics.

I have supported to Packers second only to my 40+ years with The Albion, from before The Magicman Don Majkoswki .
Thanks to Tony Kornheiser, who has been with me for over 10 years, I now support the Nat'nals too.

I listen religiously to Tim & Tom in New York and hang on every word that Bill Simmons says, spending much of my Covid downtime REWATCHING 30 for 30.

I take considerable knowledge from political commentators such as Howard Finneman.

I am also taking great interest in the lengths that New York, Seattle, LA and Miami are going to improving transportation around their cities away from cars.

My heart bleeds for the pain being suffered across the pond right now and the leadership you are receiving.

So to you sir all I can say is:-

Go f**k yourself.

Last edited:

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
It's annoyed me that I've let this slide for most of the day. :rolleyes: :lol:

What we do isn't irrelevant to:-

- Our quality of life.
- Our environment.
- Our quality of air.
- Our levels of pollution.
- Our life expectancy.
- Our drain on resources such as the NHS.

& most importantly of all

What we do regarding our consistent killing of 6 (six) people a day due to our dependency on cars, isn't irrelevant .

'Climate change and us all dying out is going to happen anyway because of the big boys'

On a (selfish) level is fair enough.

But we don't have to go out in such a shitty way, just because 'it's been like this for all my lifetime'.

I rather like driving and the convenience it brings.

It’ll take more than a few sanctimonious turds to convince me what I am doing is selfish or wrong.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003

It’ll take more than a few sanctimonious turds to convince me what I am doing is selfish or wrong.

What will it take?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Charming.

If that's your response to losing 400 yards from 246,700 miles of UK roads you might want to look at your relationship with the road.
I would hate for you to appear in a 'I'm Ronnie Pickering' style road rage video or something much much worse.

You do realise the Dutch have far and away the best driving experience, on the planet, don't you?

Why because most of the 'traffic' has been removed so people like you aren't constantly stuck in it.
You would be the biggest beneficiary if sanctimonious turds were able to properly move the UK away from it's car addiction.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Still more than a [deleted] ELECTRIC CAR which we should all have been driving for about a decade now. The fact combustion cars are still around shows how little of a [deleted] the government and people take climate change.
It's money, isn't it. You can get a second hand petrol car for £5k that has more range and is more versatile than any vastly more expensive electric car, and that's before you start on the inconveniences of charging when you park on the street. Ten years ago, even more so.

You can perhaps rail at the government for not doing enough. Railing at the people, that's another of these "The rich can afford to drive and let the poor people walk" problems.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1305793410926882816[/tweet]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
008_MattBonner_DieselElectricCars_Bristol2020_WEB.jpg

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Sorry I have no desire to read beyond that.

I kept going. You did the right thing.

My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;
Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
It is both. The government have done **** all to put in the required infrastructure and ban combination cars and people have not put any pressure on them to do so. In fact they just trot out lines like you just did.
And until the technology improves to make electric cars a practical proposition, people like me will continue to trot out lines like that. It's all very well to have high flying ideals, but when you want my ideals to fly so high that I will spend an extra £30k on a car that isn't practical, it ain't going to happen.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
It is both. The government have done **** all to put in the required infrastructure and ban combination cars and people have not put any pressure on them to do so. In fact they just trot out lines like you just did.

it is disappointing the have not progressed with building out the 18GW and new cabling needed. they need to crack on with new nuclear plants asap and get the roads up too. they could lay fibre to the property while at it.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
And until the technology improves to make electric cars a practical proposition, people like me will continue to trot out lines like that. It's all very well to have high flying ideals, but when you want my ideals to fly so high that I will spend an extra £30k on a car that isn't practical, it ain't going to happen.

Absolutely this. When I can get a used electric car, with at least 500 mile range and no more than £7,000 to buy I will consider one.

Meanwhile I’ll stick to my diesel that will do 700 miles on a tank and costs nothing to tax.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here