Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Clegg now calling it a '2 horse race'

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
...and he's one of them. He expects to win more seats than Labour.

I wonder if this will affect the voting intentions of possible LibDem 'protest voters' if they suddenly realise they may be landed with him?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
good for him. i wouldnt put money on the more seats, but it might be close.

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
he cant possibly think he`ll get more seats, only perhaps more votes, the way the seats are chopped up around the country makes it impossible he`ll get more seats.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
He was on Sky news earlier in Leicester delivering a speech with around 5/6 people waving Labour placards behind him!

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
really? Where has he said that?

He was asked just that by a BBC (I think) reporter and, although he didn't give a straight 'yes' he started talking about voting intentions. He obviously thinks that the Labour vote may collapse and drift to him.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Brown looked a well beaten man yesterday IMO. He looks like a dead man walking, because he is.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
He was on Sky news earlier in Leicester delivering a speech with around 5/6 people waving Labour placards behind him!

Did you see that one of them was grabbed and ripped up? There was so much going on in the background I doubt anyone watching was listening to anything he said.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
He was asked just that by a BBC (I think) reporter and, although he didn't give a straight 'yes' he started talking about voting intentions. He obviously thinks that the Labour vote may collapse and drift to him.

But Jim - where has he specifically said that he expects to win more seasts than Labour? I'd be staggered if he claimed that because FPTP means that would be nearly impossible this election. He may well have claimed they would get more of the popular vote than Labour.

Can you provide a source?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...because FPTP means that would be nearly impossible this election.

improbable, not impossible. how does FPTP make any difference, he simply needs to get more votes in a seat than Labour or Conservative. the fact the Liberals dont do this more often is not a product of FPTP but that historically they lack enough support in enough seats. Its the bipartisan, entrenched politics of most seats to return a Conservative or a Labour MP.
FPTP means the overall national vote doesnt translate to seats equally, but then the Tories lose out too on this measure.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
IMHO he came over as a total waste of space last night. Nothing of any value to say at all.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
the fact the Liberals dont do this more often is not a product of FPTP but that historically they lack enough support in enough seats. Its the bipartisan, entrenched politics of most seats to return a Conservative or a Labour MP.
It is both a product of FPTP AND the historical lack of support.

The problem with FPTP is that one side gets in, and if you live in a non-marginal, and you don't like that party running the show in your constituency, you are left with little alternative but to vote tactically to have them ousted. Seeing as we have had red v blue politics entrenched in our political landscape for years, it is extremely difficult for any other party to gain traction in most constituencies.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Simply put, if you are the second most popular candiadate in every seat you will have no MP's but quite possibly the second highest share of the popular vote.

I'm not debating the fairness of FPTP - I'd just like Jim D to provide the source for his comment. I would be staggered if Clegg had made this claim - "He expects to win more seats than Labour."

Edit: this appears to be the report - no mention ofmore seats - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/election_2010/8653795.stm

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Simply put, if you are the second most popular candiadate in every seat you will have no MP's but quite possibly the highest share of the popular vote.
Fixed, to highlight why the current system is so shite, with the Lib Dems likely to get half the number of seats that Labour get, despite a bigger share of the vote.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
He's not wrong.

The Labour support is now back to the levels of the dark days under Michael Foot. It is inconceivable Labour will win a majority. I admire Clegg's bravado re the 2-horse race thing, lesser men would be more conciliatory to Labour.

The point is he can see Labour is on it's knees and the Tories are still pissing about in the 30s in the polls. The Tories under a Ken Clarke or a Heseltine figure of yesteryear would be firmly ensconced in the 40s and expectant of a working majority. Fair play to Clegg for "Going for gold".

Assuming the Tory vote remains at about 35%, the only way the Lib Dems can get more seats than Labour is for them to poll as many votes as the Tories AND for the Labour vote to collapse to 21% - which would need about one in four of Labour's CURRENT supporters (as of today) switching to the Lib Dems before next Thursday.

Con 35% - 297 seats
LibDem 35% - 166 seats
Lab 21% - 153 seats
Others 9% - 16 seats
N Ireland - 18 seats

UK Polling Report

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here