Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Classic Live albums

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
To make this more eclectic:
'Otis Redding Live In Europe'.
One of my key introductions to soul music.

Then there was Geno Washington's 'Hand Clapping, Foot Stomping........etc'.

I appreciate that we tend to go with the one we heard first, but I'd take the previous year's 'In Person At The Whisky-a-Go-Go' over 'Live In Europe'. The version of 'I Can't Turn You Loose' is incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D_KEKZqtsY

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Agree with most of them so far. For Motorhead I prefer the much later Better Motorhead than Dead.
For Floyd I have a lovely import Echoes of Atom Heart Mother.

And I will praise:
Miles Davis' Dark Magus
Slade Alive
Nine Below Zero Live at the Marquee
BOC - On your feet or on your Knees
Ted Nugent - Double Live Gonzo

Actually the more I think about it the more I realise how much I love a live album, even scratchy ones like Nirvana's From the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah.

If forced to pick one though it has to be Space Ritual.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Not had time to read all the replies, so sorry if this has already been posted.

My fave all-time live album, yet not a single guitar or drum solo to be heard, nor any in-between song 'chat' from the singer.

space ritual.png

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Made in Japan (Deep Purple) was brilliant too. Just as they we at their peak, and before Richie Blackmore's ego became too big!

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
One of my recommendations is George Harrison's 1972 "The Concert for Bangladesh" which was probably one of the first benefit concerts on such a large scale featuring such prominent artists (and probably serving as an inspiration for Live Aid fourteen years later). Also notable for Bob Dylan's return to a stage after a five year absence. Artists featured included George Harrison, Ringo, Bob Dylan, Ravi Shankar, Billy Preston, Leon Russell and Eric Clapton. Recorded in 1971 record company legal wrangling delayed its release. Apart from the music one of my highlights is Ravi Shankar tuning his sitar, at the end of which the audience, probably unaccustomed to eastern music, start applauding and cheering which generated the response from Shankar, "If you appreciate the tuning so much, I hope you will enjoy the playing more"

The first youtube clip of the 40th Anniversary Album includes Shankar's quote at 2.35 but for some reason has edited out the tuning featured on the original album so it loses its comedic value.
The other Youtube clip is a documentary which shows some of the concert highlights but also documents the logistical and legal problems in bringing the concert together and releasing the final album. Definitely worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex8MoEBgpfY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EJvizCVEyc&list=PLCj-HMIMU6s6BI-CRKaOlfhBTCT6rfXU-

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
One of my recommendations is George Harrison's 1972 "The Concert for Bangladesh" which was probably one of the first benefit concerts on such a large scale featuring such prominent artists (and probably serving as an inspiration for Live Aid fourteen years later). Also notable for Bob Dylan's return to a stage after a five year absence. Artists featured included George Harrison, Ringo, Bob Dylan, Ravi Shankar, Billy Preston, Leon Russell and Eric Clapton. Recorded in 1971 record company legal wrangling delayed its release. Apart from the music one of my highlights is Ravi Shankar tuning his sitar, at the end of which the audience, probably unaccustomed to eastern music, start applauding and cheering which generated the response from Shankar, "If you appreciate the tuning so much, I hope you will enjoy the playing more"

The first youtube clip of the 40th Anniversary Album includes Shankar's quote at 2.35 but for some reason has edited out the tuning featured on the original album so it loses its comedic value.
The other Youtube clip is a documentary which shows some of the concert highlights but also documents the logistical and legal problems in bringing the concert together and releasing the final album. Definitely worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex8MoEBgpfY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EJvizCVEyc&list=PLCj-HMIMU6s6BI-CRKaOlfhBTCT6rfXU-

Agreed, good album. Dylan at his best on it too

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Totally out of favour these days but Alchemy was a brilliant live album by Dire Straits. The rendition of Going Home still gives me goosebumps

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Supertramp - Paris
Barclay James Harvest - Berlin
and ............... not ever forgetting .. No sleep 'til Hammersmith - Motorhead

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Agree with most of them so far. For Motorhead I prefer the much later Better Motorhead than Dead.
For Floyd I have a lovely import Echoes of Atom Heart Mother.

And I will praise:
Miles Davis' Dark Magus
Slade Alive
Nine Below Zero Live at the Marquee
BOC - On your feet or on your Knees
Ted Nugent - Double Live Gonzo

Actually the more I think about it the more I realise how much I love a live album, even scratchy ones like Nirvana's From the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah.

If forced to pick one though it has to be Space Ritual.

Slade and Nine Below, great shouts.

Have we had mentions for "Stupidity" from the Wilko era Dr. Feelgood. "Reach Up And Touch The Sky" from Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes is another that I enjoy.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Three of my favourites

Too Late to Stop Now - Van Morrison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90Ud1e423i0

Contemplating getting the newly expanded version of this which comes out today

Listening to volumes 2,3 & 4 now. Phenomenal stuff: 3 more gigs, same quality as volume 1. Quite unbelievable that this material has remained unreleased for so long.

I posted 3 what I consider to be classic live albums earlier (namely: Neil Young & Crazy Horse 'Arc/Weld', Sinatra at the Sands & Joni Mitchell's 'Miles of Aisles') but Van's 'it's too late to stop now' & Misty in Roots' 'Live at the Counter Eurovision' have always been the real benchmarks for me (the latter probably being personally unsurpassable) but these 'new' Van recordings are very special.

In terms of being at gigs that made it to record: I was at one of the two SLF 'hanx' nights. They were very decent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here