Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Classic 80s electronic albums

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I suppose you could say that Duran Duran were sort of synth/electric music, certainly their earlier album, The Union of the Snake had some very Nick Rhodes engineered stuff.....Nightboat being my favourite.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Does it have that song "I was 37 you were 17"? on it. Remember buying that at Woolies in Worthing as a 12"

That's "Come live with me" - on Sunset Now (a guess) - Edit: No it was "The Luxury Gap" - Sunset Now was a single on a later album

I must admit my favourite album of theirs is either Higher and Higher or Endless

This thread reminds me of the frequent trips to the Brighton Centre in the 80's

Last edited:

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Have a funny feeling that shop was called Snot, or something along those lines.

who else is too young for this thread? :wave:

Erm.... should it carry a PG rating then?

Dunno, but perhaps you could do worse than check out some music that would've been made before you were old enough to buy records? It worked for me.

Otherwise, start a threads about more recent bands that are worth hearing, and getting their albums. Lots to choose from, from Stereophonics, Supergrass, I Am Kloot, Nine Black Alps, Mumm Ra, MGMT......

NMH - that Ying and Yang Youtube video - is that Dr Robert from the Blow Monkeys playing drums?

Kevin Haskins on drums. Daniel Ash on guitar, David J on bass. Not sure who does all the electronics, keyboards and effects - but they do work well for them, and when they went under the name of Tones on Tail, which did not include David J, but ex-Bauhaus roadie Glenn Campling. Get one of Tones on Tail's CDs 'Night Music' (1987) 'Tones on Tail' (1990) or 'Everything!' (1998) - but only one of those, as they are all basically comps and repeat a lot of tracks. Any one of those is heartily recommended though, as everything they did was quality.
I'm not sure if there's a comp for L&R, but the second album 'Express' was quite good overall. Their biggest or only 'hit' was 'So Alive'. As Bauhaus, I found them a bit erratic and uneven. They were fun to see live, but I'm still not sure I'd want a live CD of them really - they were weird punky goths, and mostly visual entertainment. Maybe 'Crackle' would be good, as it's a comp CD.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Anyone remember Expandis, two piece from eastbourne/hastings - they released a cassette called Im not waving Im drowning which was great, they were good live too

Expandis were:

John Wilde - vocals,lyrics,percussion,wall climbing,presence,graphics etc..
Phil Thornton - synth,guitar,vocals,tapes etc..
Dave Miller - guitar,vocals,lyrics,keyboards etc..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here