Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Claridge out

cdavis

May 14, 2004
If anyone had watched his antics as manager of Weymouth, which was shown for several weeks on TV, you would know that he is disorganised,always late and has a far from serious attitude to management. "A ship is only as good as it,s captain"........they were bound to sink without trace.......!!!

Sep 24, 2003
Seven Dials
cdavis said:
If anyone had watched his antics as manager of Weymouth, which was shown for several weeks on TV, you would know that he is disorganised,always late and has a far from serious attitude to management. "A ship is only as good as it,s captain"........they were bound to sink without trace.......!!!

This is so far from the truth. He has always played up for the cameras and always will.

Steve was a consumate professional at Weymouth. The problem was that he continued to play and didn't relinquish enough responsibility to his assistants who were better placed to make changes when things weren't going quite right on the pitch. I believe that if Ian Ridley (ex Chairman) had not been effectively forced out then Steve would still have been there today.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Laugh at Millwall. They really do look like prime relegation strugglers this season after all the turmoil of the past few months.

Theo Paphitis (previous chairman) announces he will stand down.
Jeff Burnige (chairman to be) doesn't get on with Dennis Wise.
Dennis Wise & Ray Wilkins quit the club.
Burnige becomes chairman but Paphitis stays on the board.
Millwall sell Ifill & Ward, their two best players, release a promising youngster and sell another young prospect to Stoke.
Burnige appoints Claridge after spending about a month looking for a new manager.
Jeff Burnige then quits the post of Chairman due to "personal reasons". No-one takes over in his place.
Millwall lost to Southend, Orient and nearly lose to Gillingham.
Millwall appoint Colin Lee as assistant to Claridge.
Next day, Millwall sack Claridge and appoint Lee as boss.
Everyone else laughs.

Millwall managed to have a new chairman and manager, neither of whom were in charge for 1 minute of competitive football. Is that a record?
Annoying that we don't play them until New Years Eve. You really need to play shambles like these early on in the season. Same with Southampton. The way they're going about pre-season i'd be confident about us beating them if we played them in August.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
This is bad news for us because I think Colin Lee could do a good job at Millwall, he didn't do too badly at Walsall, did he?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Amazing story. I like Claridge but never thought he would be at Millwall for long, getting Lee alongside him made sense - what the hell are the Millwall board playing at??

Good news for us - Millwall are in turmoil.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Brightonfan1983 said:
I thought Paphitis had gone by then, or am I wrong?
Burnidge appointed Claridge, but then he left as well.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Sorry to see him go! Lee knows his way around the divisions and could cause us more harm than Claridge ever could.:goal:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
perth seagull said:
This is bad news for us because I think Colin Lee could do a good job at Millwall, he didn't do too badly at Walsall, did he?

he did a damn good job at walsall, could never understand why they replaced him with merson

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
perth seagull said:
Totally agree, Colin Lee will do a job there.
He was McGhee's assistant at Reading back in the mid 90's

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
I understand that he was 8th choice when he got the job, not exactly a confident beginning, and perhaps an indication of Millwall's current financial plight was that he was on the same money as Liam Brady was at the Albion when he suceeded Barry Lloyd in 1993.
I still think the Lions will go down along with Cardiff and Crewe, with Burnley, Plymouth, Stoke and Luton all finishing below the Albion.

maidstoneseagull

Jul 21, 2004
Maidstone
On Sky Sports News according to the Evening Standard Claridge suggested Lee and took it to the board for approval at which point they sacked Claridge and appointed Lee.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here