Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Claridge is number 25

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
If your number is between 1 and 11 it's not going to be 'reserved' is it. I just think that Bobby was a bit special and 25 is not exactely a difficult number not to give out. It's almost like it was done on purpose.

It would be nice to tell my kids one day why no albion player ever wears number 25. That's Bobby's shirt son. That's why.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Hang on a minute. Why should it be 'sacred' he was a footballer making a name for himself at a lower league club, yes he was a great player for us but that was 2 years ago. We need to move on as a club and hanging on to the past is never healthy.

We are in a new struglle now, forget Zamora, tomorrow he will be just another player trying to score against us.

I NEVER want to hear you sing a song that mentions Peter Ward, Robbo or Smith!!!

It's time to move on!!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Lammy said:
I NEVER want to hear you sing a song that mentions Peter Ward, Robbo or Smith!!!

It's time to move on!!

What exactly is your point, Lammy?

Songs are much different to 'retiring' numbers FFS.

My point is that Wards number is not retired, neither is Reinalts. These are two players that are up their with Zammo in turns of legend status. Why should Bobby be made the exception?

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
ChapmansThe Saviour said:

My point is that Wards number is not retired, neither is Reinalts. These are two players that are up their with Zammo in turns of legend status. Why should Bobby be made the exception?

My point is that I don't think they should have given the number 25 shirt to Claridge.

What are YOU talking about?

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Uncle Buck said:
But, as they have not retired the shirt, surely it is better to give it to a seasoned pro, who is unlikely to be worried about the legacy that Bobby left, rather than a youngster, that may get weighed down by it?

Yep. I agree with that.

It does seem like they've made a deliberate point here. There are LOADS of spare numbers. Perhaps they were thinking it might give us an 'edge' to wind up a player that is on the bench?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Lammy said:
My point is that I don't think they should have given the number 25 shirt to Claridge.

What are YOU talking about?

I don't know anymore. What I do know is that you're wrong.

As per usual.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Spiros said:
What the hell does it matter? This squad number thing has hacked me off from the day it was introduced. Bring back the straight 1 to 11 with no names on the back - it's just a gimmick to make more money anyway.

It's a joke when you now see some players with ridiculously high numbers on their backs - this is football, not basketball

(more old fart style mumbling under breath)

Totally agree with you
:clap:

At least back then you knew where players should be on the pitch - i.e. 2=right back, 3=left back etc etc

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Chappers, it seems that your only point of late is to dissagree with me. If that is what floats your boat then that's fine by me.

Let's have a look at your 'points'

I would like to see the number 25 shirt shelved in honour of Bobby.

What about naming stands after players/managers? You keep harping on about letting go of the past and moving on. Well I agree with that but there is no harm in remembering great servant to the club and honouring them in some small way.

In Wardy's day they didn't have squad numbers for a start and I have already mentioned that the numbers 1-11 are pretty much out of scope for this sort of thing.

I must also call you up on comparing Reinalt with Bobby and Wardy!!! he was famous for scoring one goal. Yes it was an important one but that's it. I would compare him with Virgo on status.

We are in a new struglle now, forget Zamora, tomorrow he will be just another player trying to score against us.

Why should we forget 'Zammo' and yet sing songs about Wardy et al?

southwickseagull

Mar 4, 2004
southwick
Let's hope He's better than Father Christmas, He only comes once a year, then it's down a chimney.
D'Angelo Saxon said:
MAX, thats the football equivalent of telling children that Santa Claus doesn't exist! :ohmy:

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Retiring the number 25 shirt for a bloke who played with us for only 3 years and then couldnt wait to leave us is an utter GASH idea.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Albion Dan said:
Retiring the number 25 shirt for a bloke who played with us for only 3 years and then couldnt wait to leave us is an utter GASH idea.

That's a bit unfair. The likes of Everton and Cardiff were putting in bids of over £1m way before he left. He never once asked to be put on the transfer list.

It was the clubs decision to sell him not Bobby's.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
I think it's a shame that the first time anyone else has worn the no.25 since Bobby is when we are playing against him for the first time. In terms of trying to wind him up I'm not sure that is a good idea - I'm off to place a bet on Zamora first scorer.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
Spiros said:
What the hell does it matter? This squad number thing has hacked me off from the day it was introduced. Bring back the straight 1 to 11 with no names on the back.

Remember when Barry Lloyd introduced squad numbering, then Liam Brady crossly got rid of them? I know who I trust more in matters-football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here