Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Clap for heroes

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I like Scott Morrison, but to give him all the credit for the way Australia has handled this pandemic would be mistaken.

Each state sets its own health policy, and also its own border control policy. Two states in particular have pretty much isolated themselves through the last few months, WA and QLD. Australia is in a strong position compared to many, mainly due to geography and population density, but also the one decision that Scott Morrison had a big say in. The international border was pretty much slammed shut from day one. We are pretty much unable to leave and there is still a queue of 30,000 Aussies waiting to get back.

One state in particular has done the hard grind. Victoria was on the verge of being overrun by COVID, but acted and acted tough. It is a Labour governed state, and as much as I do not like the Premier, Dan Andrews achievement of eliminating Covid is impossible to ignore. We seem to be winning the latest battle too, so far.

I agree with all of this (apart from liking Scott Morrison). The implementation of a National Cabinet has been a bit of a master stroke IMHO. Having representatives from the federal government and all the state governments sitting down and making decisions is one of the big reasons for the success in Australia. They have all done a fairly good job of putting petty party politics to the side and supporting each other which I also think has helped. If I could wish for one thing to come out of all this I would like this method of politics to continue (at least for the important stuff like education, climate and health care etc).

In fairness to Boris though (ow that hurts). Dealing with the pandemic in Australia is a totally different animal to dealing with it in the UK. Social distancing 25 million people over a vast continent is far easier than social distancing 60 million people on a small island. We have space and distance between each other to play with.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
So you believe that if we hadn't had Johnson in charge, we wouldn't have have had lots of people dying of coronavirus? - what bollox. Also we didn't have Australia's advantage of being relatively isolated, surrounded by hundreds of miles of ocean, and with immigration controls that would have sent half of NSC apoplectic if the Tories tried to introduce them here! Oh, and there might just be a tad of difference in the population density too .........................

Rightly so, sending people to concentration camps on tropical islands for years with no end date or idea of how long they will stay is barbaric.

Is it heavily criticised by the UN and contravenes many international laws.

Australia is a brilliant place to live but it is currently engaging in another human rights catastrophe that will blight its reputation in years to come.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I agree with all of this (apart from liking Scott Morrison). The implementation of a National Cabinet has been a bit of a master stroke IMHO. Having representatives from the federal government and all the state governments sitting down and making decisions is one of the big reasons for the success in Australia. They have all done a fairly good job of putting petty party politics to the side and supporting each other which I also think has helped. If I could wish for one thing to come out of all this I would like this method of politics to continue (at least for the important stuff like education, climate and health care etc).

In fairness to Boris though (ow that hurts). Dealing with the pandemic in Australia is a totally different animal to dealing with it in the UK. Social distancing 25 million people over a vast continent is far easier than social distancing 60 million people on a small island. We have space and distance between each other to play with.

Have to agree about the National Cabinet thing, although I did not realise it did not exist until recently. One of my enduring causes of confusion in my time here so far is the lack of alignment in all kinds of topics. Could be speed limits, taxation, car tax (rego), penalties for offences, double points for driving offences on public holidays, daylight saving anomalies and many other things I cannot think of right now.

A more, but not complete, nationalised lifestyle would be advantageous in my view.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

This is true. However most of the ways in which the Tory government have ****ed up in, have nothing whatsoever we to do with population or land mass.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Have to agree about the National Cabinet thing, although I did not realise it did not exist until recently. One of my enduring causes of confusion in my time here so far is the lack of alignment in all kinds of topics. Could be speed limits, taxation, car tax (rego), penalties for offences, double points for driving offences on public holidays, daylight saving anomalies and many other things I cannot think of right now.

A more, but not complete, nationalised lifestyle would be advantageous in my view.

I find the State V Federal system confusing and often irritating. Each try and blame the other for everything and too often things fall through the gaps.LIke the anomalies you describe.

From what I understand a more nationalised lifestyle will never be achievable as different states hold different things dear, and never the twain shall meet.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I’d sooner clap for supermarket workers. They kept the shops open and the shelves filled while my local GP surgery and dentist shut down for most of the year.

I won’t though. But if any supermarket worker reads this then, thanks.

Your GP surgery closed down for over 6 months?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I didn’t realise this was back. I don’t think we’ll see a large take up. There isn’t the blitz spirit now, it’s more of a “heads down and plough through this shit again” feeling this time round.

This is more akin to the period of V1 and V2 attacks than the initial blitz. We know sooner or later the Allies will overrun the missile sites and win the war, we've just got to see it through until it happens.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Whilst I'm sure my Wife (a Nurse) doesn't speak for all NHS staff, she has always found it incredibly patronising.

Yep, my wife has worked at the hospital for 25 years and thought it was a bit cringe-worthy first time round...won't even acknowledge it this time.

I appreciate the sentiment behind it this time (for all the other services who have kept us going) but the problem is, everyone is just so doggone tired of the whole thing now that the bulldog spirit we had back in March is at an all time low imo. Something new should've been thought up instead...

Last edited:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
If you want to make a statement of note then you would be better off just not voting tory if you ant to protect the nhs for real IMO

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
I guess I’m politically neutral because I think both Labour and the Tories are pretty awful, but the latter spend the best part of £4b on the NHS per week. How much more would they have to spend to mollify the “Tories are destroying the NHS” crowd?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
*sigh*

You missed the, England - Tory not great bit then. That's not defending him it's just challenging your view he's uniquely bad.

I get it Clampy, he's a Tory, he delivered Brexit therefore he will always be the antichrist in your eyes.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I'm 100% with The Clamp here; I found the comparison with the way Australia handled the pandemic enlightening and it exposed just how incompetent Johnson has been dealing with the pandemic.

Unfortunately, you can't direct the same comments to me as I voted for Brexit and Johnson has delivered some kind of Brexit although I fear in weeks to come we will see just what a shambles has been created as a result of his negotiations.

Had our PM been a competent and intelligent politician he would have gone to the EU and told them that the world has a far bigger problem at the moment and delayed any negotiations for 12 months.

I wanted us to leave the EU. I voted for us to leave the EU. I didn't vote for a PM to be distracted in cobbling together a Brexit deal at the 11th hour when 100% of his focus should have been on the pandemic.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
I guess I’m politically neutral because I think both Labour and the Tories are pretty awful, but the latter spend the best part of £4b on the NHS per week. How much more would they have to spend to mollify the “Tories are destroying the NHS” crowd?

:facepalm:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Yup. And frankly, it probably doesn't matter how much more is spent on the NHS as much of it will simply be absorbed by increased levels of acute care required to manage the fallout of a population that takes too little exercise, consumes way too much booze and calls the police when KFC run out of chicken. Not to mention the hoards of idiots who routinely overwhelm A&E departments because they don't understand what constitutes an Accident or an Emergency.

I'm all for funding the NHS properly and better rewarding those who work in it; but frankly we all have a responsibility to look after ourselves a bit better.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Yup. And frankly, it probably doesn't matter how much more is spent on the NHS as much of it will simply be absorbed by increased levels of acute care required to manage the fallout of a population that takes too little exercise, consumes way too much booze and calls the police when KFC run out of chicken. Not to mention the hoards of idiots who routinely overwhelm A&E departments because they don't understand what constitutes an Accident or an Emergency.

I'm all for funding the NHS properly and better rewarding those who work in it; but frankly we all have a responsibility to look after ourselves a bit better.

I’m glad someone said it, we are the unhealthiest country in Europe and only getting worse, Im not a political expert but I find the idea that the tories have destroyed the NHS quite bizarre really, according to NHS waiting lists this year is the worst year for waits since 2008, under a labour government. I say this as someone who has voted labour and Tory in my life, I don’t have a bias so I’m genuinely wondering why not voting Tory/voting labour would help the NHS.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here