Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Claiming for damage caused by Potholes

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Always worth a go - afterall road tax is supposed to cover maintenance of roads.

As anyone who has bothered to read the papers or watch the news in recent weeks knows, very little of the road tax is passed on to councils to maintain the roads. As with the huge duty on fuel, fines and most other things relating to car owners, it is just another way of raising money for the government.

If the car tax payments were actually used to maintain the roads then they would be in much better condition.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
[yt]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PM8LLp7Q5WQ&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PM8LLp7Q5WQ&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/yt]

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I reckon you have [at least] five options:

1/ If you have fully comp car insurance, claim of that. However, if you are a young driver, you'll likely have a large excess to pay and loss of no-claims-bonus [unless you protected it]

2/ Pay for it yourself and send evidence of your loss to the council asking them to pay damages for their negligence.

3/ If 2 returns no payment, you have just landed the "take it on the chin" option.

4/ Get down the scrappies or hunt out a 2nd hand one on eBay

5/ Drive with a wobbly wheel [not recommeneded]

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Unless it was a huge CRATOR you must have been doing a fair whack to dent it and if it was that big then why didnt you see it?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If I bent one of my alloys the one thing I wouldn't do is come on NSC and talk about it.

Basically, you've driven too fast, seen the pothole too late and now you're f***ed. It's the driving equivalent of taking a dive in the penalty area.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
My missus [honest guv] swerved to miss a fox 2 years ago and hit a kerb on the industrial estate - broke the osf alloy on my golf.

Got a set of 4 off eBay so now have alloy spare too - sold one other, still got one in the garage.

Told her next time to run the fecker over = less damage to the car.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
As anyone who has bothered to read the papers or watch the news in recent weeks knows, very little of the road tax is passed on to councils to maintain the roads. As with the huge duty on fuel, fines and most other things relating to car owners, it is just another way of raising money for the government.

If the car tax payments were actually used to maintain the roads then they would be in much better condition.

see post #19 :facepalm:

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
I certainly will not claim for anything more than a replacement wheel, which does not have to be new, plus loss of ernings should I be unable to use the car.

Can't you deliver the newspapers on a bike like everyone else?

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Bent Alloy wheel on my Rover 75 after hitting a Pothole. Any NSCers caimed against The local Council? If so were The council difficult or helpful?

There will be a huge announcment about this on Thursday.

It will be on Talk Sport and Southern Counties Radio.............listen in then
:thumbsup:

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
:thumbsup:
Cost me £400 for a new wheel and tyre last September. Wrote to council with pictures of pothole. They immediately filled it and said that sionce they had records of the road being checked 6 months prior, they had fulfilled their obligation. Exchange of solicitors letters and advised nothing i could do.

So, don't hold your breath

Is sort of the correct answer. :thumbsup:

The Highways Act will tell you the criteria for which you can present a claim (i.e. how big the pothole has to be, depth, sort of road etc etc).

The council will also have a road inspection program (usually on a 3 month basis) and providing they can show they complied with the program (which has strict criteria), they would have fulfilled their obligations. The defence usually being that the road was checked X days/ weeks prior to the damage occurring and at that time the road was either in a fit state or it is unreasonable for them to have repaired the road surface within the time-scale. :cry:

Bearing in mind the state of the roads at present, the councils are very well versed and I suggest the success rate is very, very small.

My advice PSB would be to put it down to experience and move on. . . . . in your nice Rover 75. . . brooooom

D

Deleted User X18H

Claim against the Council if you want. You won't win.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
who wants to bet there will be people moaning next week as they were late to work because the council had traffic lights all over the place repairing pot holes.

shoreham moonraker

Apr 11, 2009
Has anyone been down shoreham high street in the last couple of weeks? It looks like a greasy teenage boys face with all the bumps and scars. It has to be the worst section of road i have ever seen.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Has anyone been down shoreham high street in the last couple of weeks? It looks like a greasy teenage boys face with all the bumps and scars. It has to be the worst section of road i have ever seen.

thats needed a proper resurface for years, imagine the CHAOS closing that road or even installing one-way traffic lights....bad enough as it is!

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I reckon you have [at least] five options:

1/ If you have fully comp car insurance, claim of that. However, if you are a young driver, you'll likely have a large excess to pay and loss of no-claims-bonus [unless you protected it]
It's a Rover 75! No way can PSB be any younger than 75!!! Plus with the inability to see the pothole and swerve around it I would say about 4'2and female as well as still being over 75.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
your own fault, this whole CLAIM society is f***ing rubbish, you coudl've avoided the pothole so if I was the judge I'd throw your claim out the window...just my opinion like :thumbsup:

Best post i've seen on here for years. This claim culture has turned normal everyday folk into money grabbing wankers.

:angry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here