Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Claiming for damage caused by Potholes

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
your own fault, this whole CLAIM society is f***ing rubbish, you coudl've avoided the pothole so if I was the judge I'd throw your claim out the window...just my opinion like :thumbsup:

What do we pay Road Tax for? Always thought part of it went to the upkeep of the highways. Potholes full of water are difficult to see. Took the old jam jar up to local tyre shop who informed me that 6 others had been in with bent Alloys that morning.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
You will have to prove that the council were aware of the severity of the particular pothole and had not taken sufficiently timely action to repair it. Given the nature of our weather you will struggle to prove that they could have acted more speedily given that they have to prioritize resources and that there are more potholes appearing daily at this time of year.

You can try but I wouldn't fancy your chances and unless there has been significant personal injury I suspect you will find it difficult to get any of the usual claim-mongering soliciters to take it on.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
What do we pay Road Tax for? Always thought part of it went to the upkeep of the highways. Potholes full of water are difficult to see. Took the old jam jar up to local tyre shop who informed me that 6 others had been in with bent Alloys that morning.

well you cant expect potholes to be fixed within seconds of appearing can you? like everything in life, fixing something takes time!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
take it on the chin.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
You'll have basically no chance.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Cost me £400 for a new wheel and tyre last September. Wrote to council with pictures of pothole. They immediately filled it and said that sionce they had records of the road being checked 6 months prior, they had fulfilled their obligation. Exchange of solicitors letters and advised nothing i could do.

So, don't hold your breath

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
you know that big wheel in the car you put your hands on......USE IT.....drive AROUND the potholes :lolol:

BHAboi

Jan 26, 2009
BHA
my sister did the same but the councial wanted pictures and by the time she went back it had been filled in, so go take some pictures with some sort of depth gauge! NOW

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
When you sue a Council you are basically stitching up people who pay there council tax.
Have a look where you're driving you nob

My Name Is Gully

May 9, 2008
Dorset
Ten years or so ago I hit one causing a flat tyre - my wifes dad said I had no chance of getting anywhere. I took photos of the hole and tyre, fixed the tyre, sent the bill to the local Council and got refunded - no issue!

Always worth a go - afterall road tax is supposed to cover maintenance of roads.

By the way, my opinion is you are not part of the greater "claim" society - you are not winning or benefitting, and I am sure will not be able to give up work on your recompense of cost incurred!

Last edited:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Take photos, get the damage repaired and send in the receipts to the council.

They are responsible for the upkeep of the highways and they have been cutting corners in their maintainance of the highways, choosing an inferior product to repair potholes which doesn't have the additive they used to contain that prevented break up during bad weather.

This means that repairs arn't lasting as they should and therefore the council is liable for damage caused. Had they repaired it properly, then the chances are the pothole wouldn't have reappeared and your vehicle wouldn't have been damaged.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Bent Alloy wheel on my Rover 75 after hitting a Pothole. Any NSCers caimed against The local Council? If so were The council difficult or helpful?

I think you should receive MASSIVE compensation for your damafe. I'm about to sue our council for the bad weather incurred in Dec/Jan and will let you know how I get on. It's always someone elses fault and don't listen to anyone who tells you otherwise. Make sure you get what's owed to you, forget about living in a world shared by others including nature. Everything has a fiscal value and its not selfish but your right to act individually regardless of the cost to others. Make sure you get a pay out and don't in anyway think it'll push everyone elses costs up if you receive some money. The government is awash with cash and stories of the country going bankrupt or having no money for people like the armed forces are just lies. Just ensure you're alright, jack, never ever fall into the trap of taking responsibility for yourself. Know your rights. Always blame and claim. :thumbsup:

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
What do we pay Road Tax for? Always thought part of it went to the upkeep of the highways.

Then you thought wrong then. take the total revenue for road fund licence for all vehicles in the uk and divide by 10. that is how much of it goes and upkeep of the public highway.

Its just a tax

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I personally think you're being a pikey chancer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here