Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] CL / EL and that sort of shite

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
It was clear that Foden was targeted by Athletico, and Felipe in particular.

After that early aerial challenge, he shouldn't have been on the field at that point to make the kick.

Some sort of justice that Foden's antics resulted in Athletico self-combusting.

He who laughs last laughs longest.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Wow there's a lot of love for city here tonight. A club that maybe apart from Chelsea, have done more to ruin football in this country than anyone else.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Lol it’s taken something special for me to side with City…..AM were that special
Fair enough from that aspect, but as I don't care for the pretend champions league, I am not bothered about the result tonight, only the harm city and their ilk are doing to our game over here.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Lol it’s taken something special for me to side with City…..AM were that special

Snap.

Out at friends and I asked if we could have the City game on - volume down, as the odds of some spectacular shithousery tonight were high.

And it didn’t disappoint.

Even the football-apathetic ladies were glued to the drama unfolding from around 80 minutes and, despite all allegiances, the room was rooting for City to hold out.

I hold no no love for City at all, but I’m pleased to see them win over Simeone’s anti-football.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Wow there's a lot of love for city here tonight. A club that maybe apart from Chelsea, have done more to ruin football in this country than anyone else.

I think most would be talking about tonight's onfield football rather than anything else.

Palace might've even got a free pass from me against Athletico tonight.

(I'm clearly exaggerating for effect here. And it's hypothetical as Palace would never get into Europe in the first place.)

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The architects of the state of the game were Man Utd. I don't like the money behind City, Chelsea and now Newcastle but it all started with Utd.

That is true, however Chelsea and City and now Arsenal are a different type of ownership. Man U are owned by rich greedy people, the other 3 owned by rich, greedy sports-washing states.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Good gamesmanship from about the 65th minute from City. Spanish couldnt handle it even though they've been at this sort of stuff for years.

Hope City win it, by far the best fans from a " big club" I've encountered home and away. The only ones that still seem in touch with their roots ( not all of them obviously )

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Interesting game that was. Atleti were actually doing a damn good pressing job in the 2nd half, repeatedly breaking down City's tiki taka and forcing them to hoof it upfield. I saw it as Atleti in the ascendency and they were likely to score which would have changed the game - in that context it was a bit self-sabotaging for them to kick off a melle which wasted so much time, when they could have invested that energy in another 10 mins trying to score which could have lead to winning the tie.

Perhaps it was a case of them getting a taste of their own medicine with City engaging in some time wasting / $$$$housery - which the Atleti players just couldn't handle and they blew their top. Karma maybe.

Moving forward I would always appreciate avoiding an all English final just to make sure some continental flavour is maintained. The City / Real semi should be a decent contest I can't call who will come out on top, with the 2nd leg at the Bernabeu, Real have a slight advantage maybe.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Nope. I'd say it all started with Blackburn. They proved (in the very first season of the Prem) that you can buy a title.

Well they didn't win the premier league until it's 94/95, ie it's 3rd season! Man Utd started the rot when they forced a change of the rules relating to gate receipts, ie the home team keep them. That's when the divided started.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Nope. I'd say it all started with Blackburn. They proved (in the very first season of the Prem) that you can buy a title.

Buying success goes back to the beginning of professionalism in the 19th century. The next seismic change was Jimmy Hill’s threat to organize a strike which led to abolition of the maximum wage in 1961. Then we have Bosman and a succession of club owners who throw more and more money at players to succeed. To blame any particular club does not tell the whole story because each upping of the ante creates the environment for the next one. The system is broken and all of football is guilty for allowing it to happen. By the way Liverpool used to buy titles in the 1970s. We don’t have a draft like in American and Australian sports so titles are bought instead.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here