Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

City Park expansion 'planned' - St Peter's Church to The Royal Pavilion

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
http://www.theargus.co.uk/display.var.1330177.0.radical_plan_for_city_park.php

Radical plan for city park
By Lawrence Marzouk

A series of traffic-choked roundabouts could be transformed into Brighton and Hove's biggest city centre park, The Argus can reveal.

The green space would stretch for almost a mile between St Peter's Church and The Royal Pavilion and be linked to North Laine.

The radical plans would cost at least £2.5 million to complete and a team of council officers has been handed tens of thousands of pounds to draw up the proposals.

All traffic would be sent along the east side of the main thoroughfare, which runs from St Peter's Church towards the Palace Pier.

The traffic lanes to the west would be covered with grass, flowers and trees. Events such as Brighton Festival could expand and an outdoor ice rink set up in the winter.

The scheme has yet to be be formally presented to city councillors but, if approved, work could start as early as 2010.

Because of the complicated system of cycle and bus routes along the A23, barriers have been put up to reinforce the isolation of the existing gardens - leading to a number of serious accidents.

Officers' early traffic model analysis suggests the new layout, far from making congestion worse, could improve the flow of traffic.

Councillor Gill Mitchell, chairwoman of Brighton and Hove City Council's environment committee, said the city lacked a park worthy of its status.

She said: "It would be absolutely wonderful and would give us the kind of open space other cities have.

"We have an idea we have put through the traffic model but it is at an early stage.

"At the moment the area is dominated by traffic and is underused.

"It would be great if this area could become vehicle-free but it will not be without difficulties."

Conservative councillor Ted Kemble, the party's Brighton spokesman for transport and a taxi driver, said his party was keen on the scheme but questions remained about changes to the road layout.

He said: "I would support anything that would improve traffic flows and air quality.

"My main concern is that North Road is a major cross street and would be blocked off but if they can find a suitable way of overcoming this, I do not see there is an issue."

Green convener Keith Taylor said a large park would help St Peter's Church, which is threatened with closure.

He said: "What we need to be doing is reducing the level of traffic in the city because reducing the number of lanes will cause longer delays.

"But we do need to make the most of our inner city green spaces and that space is massively underused because it is surrounded by choking traffic."

He said 19 per cent of all CO2 emissions were traffic-related.

Liberal Democrat councillor Paul Elgood said a strategy to improve green spaces across the whole city was needed.

He said: "We support anything that improves the area and helps the environment but this is artificial and cosmetic environmentalism.

"What we need is a strategic plan for the whole city."

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

It will probably NOT happen, but it sounds like a very good idea.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I had exactly the same thought a few weeks ago but never imagined that something would come of it. It sounds like a great idea.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
It'd be GREAT. God knows how the traffic would work, but I'm sure there are some transport geniuses working on it now.

Time to reclaim all that space for more than just tramps....

:clap:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Nice idea, but I'm not sure how grassing over a whole bunch of roads will help the already crappy traffic in and out of the city.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Is there room for a football stadium there if they divert all traffic away from there?

Oct 25, 2003
if they had an armed checkpoint which shot anyone from london attempting to enter the city, then it'd be fine

otherwise, it'd be HELL in the summer

("orwight luv, fancee gaaahn daaaahn brigh'aaaaan today?")

smashing idea though, can't think of many cities actively trying to INCREASE their inner city green spaces, getting rid of road s in the process

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Sounds good but I cant see where all the traffic will go???

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
I welcome it with open arms. Anything to cut the amount of traffic piling into the city as soon as the sun comes out gets my vote.

Although I must say I'm confused by the councillors comments that "the city lacked a park befitting of its status."

I'm sure I read somewhere once that per head of population Brighton has more open public space than any other city. Admittedly a lot of this would include the beach (I'm assuming), but at any rate we're not short of a nice few places to sit down and enjoy a flask of hot tea when the situation demands it.

Of course, there's always room for more, and it would be nice to see all that area sandwiched between the roads put to better use

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Barrel of Fun said:
Perhaps this can go hand in hand with a massive Park & Ride scheme. Although I can't imagine there is much scope for one and a decent/suitable site off the A23.

Probably something like that. Champion the fact that they are making more green space in the City and then tarmac over the playing fields at Braypool for a carpark.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I think this is an excellent idea, IF they can deter so many drivers from trying to come into the city. Why is the traffic backed up to Pyecombe on a Saturday afternoon? Don't people realise that they are not going to get anywhere near the seafront by that time? I think they need to have signs at Pyecombe or earlier to show when the car parks are full, to give people a chance to go somewhere else. By the way, according to this there is a new plan currently being worked on to rebuild the West Pier. 'Brighton Boy' also gives details of the proposed Rapid Transit system and also gives a useful list of most of the projects being worked on or proposed in Brighton and Hove on page 20. This site is well worth bookmarking if you are interested in Brighton and Hove architecture.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
West Hoathly Seagull said:
I think this is an excellent idea, IF they can deter so many drivers from trying to come into the city. Why is the traffic backed up to Pyecombe on a Saturday afternoon? Don't people realise that they are not going to get anywhere near the seafront by that time? I think they need to have signs at Pyecombe or earlier to show when the car parks are full, to give people a chance to go somewhere else. By the way, according to this there is a new plan currently being worked on to rebuild the West Pier. 'Brighton Boy' also gives details of the proposed Rapid Transit system and also gives a useful list of most of the projects being worked on or proposed in Brighton and Hove on page 20. This site is well worth bookmarking if you are interested in Brighton and Hove architecture.

which one are you?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here