Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cigarette Breaks - The debate

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
"The only legitimate reason to take a 5-10 min break from work every 2-3 hours is to be a smoker".

Is this correct/fair? Shouldn't other habits/addictions be taken into account?

I'm not even giving my own position on this, I'm just genuinely curious to see what everyone thinks.

:clap2: Debate away! :clap2:

No big deal. I take breaks here and there for non-smoking things. It's better to concentrate on getting the work done, not petty issues like fag and tea breaks. If people take the piss and consequently not pulling their weight then it's a different issue..and should be dealt with as a different issue.

I take a break every afternoon to buy a kit-kat and make a cup of tea (3 minute infusion unless it's Earl Grey). I'd say my work is better for it.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
What REALLY annoys m is when smokers tall about it as if it's their RIGHT, a bit like our lunch break.

Eg. when I walk up to someone with something URGENT and they reply "I'll do it after my fag break"

You GIT, do it NOW. It's the thing you get PAID for.

Word.

If someone came to me with something urgent, I wouldn't say "I'll just do it after I have finished my cup of tea".

I don't believe that fag breaks are peoples right, however I do believe that relaxed workplaces are often the best (as long as the work ethic is not relaxed). From that point of view I don't mind smokers having a 5 minute break every 1/2 hours, just as long as they don't mind me pausing to eat a cake and enjoy a cup of tea halfway through the afternoon.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
i wasn't saying he did, well i was, but didn't mean that. Just by saying how? or why? he was encouraging a racial reply

I'd more say that I was asking him to explain his point.

There is a difference here between work places. Where I work you can get away with murder because we are relatively small and flexible.

I've worked in places though where they crack down on everything and you can't look out the windown for fear of being shat upon by the management.

manilaseagull

Used to be Swindonseagull
if govenrment really wanted to cut out smoking they'd issue advise to civil service and companies to cut this practice out. it would probably lead to people stopping smoking too. but they only ever pay lip service as we get so much money from tobacco, they dont really want to stop it.

cut out any religious breaks too, i cant drink in dubai, they cant pray 5 times a day here.

I guess you have never been to Dubai....because you can drink there

Legend

Prince Of Darkness
Jul 5, 2003
Lancing
The 15 min break is something that has been brought in quite recently (last 5 years) for both companies that I have worked for. They both quote health and safety as the reason. If you work on a computer all day then you are entitled to a 5 min break every hour. So they say 15 min break in the morning and 15 min break in afternoon. Regardless of whether you are a smoker or not. I dont know whether this health and safety business is correct but neither of the companies that I have worked for would give something for nothing. I am a smoker but most of my collegues are not. I think it is fair because the above "rule" applies to smokers and non smokers.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Side note about Computer workers i guess your all aware of this VDUs and the law

Under the Health and Safety (Display Screen Equipment) Regulations 1992, people who use a VDU as a habitual part of their job are entitled to an eye and eyesight test administered by a qualified professional and paid for by their employer.

Employers are required to pay for any prescription spectacles needed by their employees to carry out their VDU work.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
No big deal. I take breaks here and there for non-smoking things. It's better to concentrate on getting the work done, not petty issues like fag and tea breaks.

Of course, it's no big deal. Just curious to see.

But for example, what is the reasoning behind someone being allowed to take 10 mins every 2 hours for a fag, but not for someone with a massive addiction to CONKERS being granted the same priviledge?

Obviously a stupid example, but you get my drift?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
İbrahim Tatlıses;3232111 said:
Muslims have the rights for breaks a lot longer than five minutes to pray five times a day... Not to mention the countless other demands their religion imposes on the workplace...

Actually I've never seen that in any place I've worked and I would bet I've been around more than most. I can't honestly say that the worship of Islam by an individual has impinged on my work in anyway either.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Of course, it's no big deal. Just curious to see.

But for example, what is the reasoning behind someone being allowed to take 10 mins every 2 hours for a fag, but not for someone with a massive addiction to CONKERS being granted the same priviledge?

Obviously a stupid example, but you get my drift?

Very stupid to bring up the whole health and safety issue regarding playing conkers at work as well as smoking :shrug:

Attachments

• conkers.jpg
    conkers.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 161

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I think it's quite important to have small breaks every couple of hours, especially when you are sat in front of a screen all day. We have table football at my company, a fine way to relieve a bit of stress, although it does get quite competitive especially in the annual company tournament.

I don't think any of the smokers in the company play table football (probably too unfit!) so it kind of evens out. I get more pissed off with the guy next to me that often doesn't get in until 10.15 then goes for a 1 and half hour lunch break and still leaves at 5.30.

cheeseroll

Jul 5, 2003
Fragrant Harbour
Actually I've never seen that in any place I've worked and I would bet I've been around more than most. I can't honestly say that the worship of Islam by an individual has impinged on my work in anyway either.

Try working in Asia during Ramadam. In Singapore they were dropping like flies before noon, i tried to offer water but it was a big no no..

Anyway even as an ex smoker i still feel it a valuable break to get out of the office with the smokers for a 20 minute break morning and afternoon.

Last edited:

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I'm a smoker, but i find it's pretty unfair on non-smokers that we can just nip out for a fag when they have to sit there working.
Plus, going out for a fag is dead liberating. It's like being in a little club, and you get talking to loads of interesting people about baps and such. It's amazing. That's what you have to miss out on if you don't smoke.
Maybe non-smokers should get Wagon Wheel eating rooms and designated Wagon Wheel breaks?
Only one Jammy one per day mind.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Is that break as in food/wee/drink break or break from the computer..... ???

Break from whatever your work is. If you work on the computer and you choose to spend that 20 mins on facebook, that's your choice, but the employer has to set aside 20 minutes for you to not work for every six hours you do.

I was surprised it wasn't incremental on hours worked (i.e. that if you do a twelve hour shift you get longer) I was surprised when ACAS told me employees could work 6 hours, take a twenty minute break then work another 6 hours before being given another break.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Try working in Asia during Ramadam. In Singapore they were dropping like flies before noon, i tried to offer water but it was a big no no..

Anyway even as an ex smoker i still feel it a valuable break to get out of the office with the smokers for a 20 minute break morning and afternoon.

That is rather different isn't it ? How many people on here work in a Muslim country ? As far as it goes you'd expect a Muslem country to have different Customs. Most only have one day off a week and don't take time off for Christmas or any other religious holidays that we have and neither do they take off New Year or have Bank Holidays.

I grant you it's a bit daft not being able to have a dtink in hot weather but our religious customs have their moments too.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Just apply common sense and tolerance. If your busy work, if your slack or at a loose end smoke, take a break or go for a wank whatever.

Smoking is one more reason people skive of work but at least its an honest one and you know where they are.

The only to sane alternatives is either ban smoking or accept it as a tollerable social ill and just chill the f*** out, anything else will lead you into areas of hypocricy.

Personally in Canteens and Resteraunts I would prefer a greater range of Meat dishes rather than Catering to vegans and veggies but that aint going to happen either.

thats life so suck it up.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
You are the first person to get to the nub of the debate for me. Why are concessions allowed for smokers but not other addictions? Why is it seen as more socially acceptable?

If we can get another 5 or more people involved, it will be a MASS DEBA....I'll leave it.
I'm more startled that within ten minutes, yes a whole ten minutes you chirped away with your "position", wouldnt want you negotiating my release in a hostage situation :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here