Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Christmas, Can it get much earlier ?

Horney

Oct 12, 2008
It seems now that there has to be an ongoing theme, all year round, in-stores....Burns night - Valentines Day - St.Patricks Day - Mothers Day - Easter - Start of Summer - Fathers Day - BBQ Season - Back to School -Halloween - Bonfire Night - Christmas..Christmas..Christmas.....
Whole aisles given over to the stuff...
On my drive to work, I pass a house that starts to ' build ' its Christmas decorations in October. Scaffolding is erected, from the garage, down the drive, so a ' Santa Tunnel ' can be created. The front garden is covered in white vellum, simulating snow..the whole roof is covered with reindeers etc.
Each year, they get just that little bit earlier..switching on is in November now..how much earlier is it going to get ?
Bah..Humbug !

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
i was going to start a thread on this exact same subject this morning. couldn't believe my eyes yesterday seeing Christmas puds & mince pies on sale in Sainsbury's with all the advertising boards up with christmas hats, snow, Father Christmas etc

:nono:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Billy Mays

Aug 14, 2008
Fruit Cove
Isn't it a bit early for a thread about how Christmas keeps getting earlier?
Can the mods ensure that in future these don't pop up until at least October?

Thanks you.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The Co-op at the Fiveways has been selling deep-filled mince pies for a while now. On Saturday these were joined by chocolate snowmen and bags of chocolate Christmas tree decorations.

It IS ridiculous and as opposed to passing lots of crappy laws the government should do something useful and make the mentioning of Christmas before October a criminal offence. Still, at least I know it's time to put the sprouts on to boil. Didn't do them until Bonfire Night last year (which I know is WAY too late) and they were still a bit crisp come Christmas Day.

manilaseagull

Used to be Swindonseagull
Any month that ends in BER ie September - December are called the BER month here, and that is the Christmas season,

Decorations have started to be seen but the most noticeable thing is Christmas songs on the radio, TV and Shopping Malls,

Yesterday I was walking in a Mall by Manila Bay and it was about 32 Degrees Blasting over the PA system was a selection of Christmas carols....

The Breakfast TV studio is already decorated with Tinsel, but no tree yet..

Oh and we get a public holiday next Monday 21st Sept to celebrate the end of Ramadan...............Fantastic.....

‘Ber’ months here; countdown begins | Manila Bulletin

From Manila Bulletin Newspaper.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Any month that ends in BER ie September - December are called the BER month here, and that is the Christmas season,

Decorations have started to be seen but the most noticeable thing is Christmas songs on the radio, TV and Shopping Malls,

Yesterday I was walking in a Mall by Manila Bay and it was about 32 Degrees Blasting over the PA system was a selection of Christmas carols....

The Breakfast TV studio is already decorated with Tinsel, but no tree yet..

Oh and we get a public holiday next Monday 21st Sept to celebrate the end of Ramadan...............Fantastic.....

‘Ber’ months here; countdown begins | Manila Bulletin

From Manila Bulletin Newspaper.

had to instill a 'No X-mas Pasko til December' rule in our office as one of the lads had a Tagalog cover of So This is Christmas coming out of his PC that annoyingly I found myself humming for the rest of the day

SB005

WSU is my home
Jan 12, 2008
Angmering
I work at a Sainsburys and I can tell you it was August when I saw the first xmas stuff coming in the store and by September some of its on the shelf, but there is quite a lot building up out the back already!!! The maddest thing is, we have already been selling xmas puddings and things!!! Who is buying their pud now?? Don't bother waiting till there is a full selection.....just grab the first one that hits the shelves......

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I love Christmas, I get totally over-excited. However, the shine is somewhat removed when it starts in September. I love the seasons and the little things that mark the change - so whilst a huge fan of Christmas, I don't wish it along too early because it can tromble on some of the other lovely little markers of the seasons.

August Bank Holiday still feels like Summer to me, but by the time we've got to Halloween then Autumn is in full swing. Then Guy Fawkes Night and once all that is cleared away (inevitable fireworks the weekend after the 5th somewhere) thoughts turn to Christmas - round about 12th November.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here