Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Christmas and mental health

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This thread is so emotional

I totally get the losing a pet thing. Earlier this year I was in Preston Park and a lovely dog came up to me and sat down. The young guy he was with told me Dylan was pinning for his 'owner' who had recently passed away. I went home and sobbed my heart out.

That reminds me of the true story of Greyfriars Bobby. Made into a lovely old film with Donald Crisp.

Merry Christmas [MENTION=34281]pearl[/MENTION], love your music and compassionate posts throughout the year! :)

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
So sorry to hear about those events and circumstances @Portlock.

Many of us get the pet thing, a mutual love with no strings. I still get that thing in my eye thinking about our cat who passed about 6 years ago, even though we very soon afterwards made cat rescue twins very happy.

That’s awful about the access to your beloved Dad. I wonder if there could be a far more humane system this time around eg Covid testing to allow loved ones to meet up?

I hope 2022 is kinder to you.

Cheers Weststander, thanks for the kind words, and a very Merry Christmas to you and yours. Love never ends, they’re all in our hearts :cheers:

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
This thread is so emotional

I totally get the losing a pet thing. Earlier this year I was in Preston Park and a lovely dog came up to me and sat down. The young guy he was with told me Dylan was pinning for his 'owner' who had recently passed away. I went home and sobbed my heart out.

Thanks for your kind words too, your story did that watery eye thing too!

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Your post serves to make people who think they've got things bad... realise they could be worse.

All i can say is that if in 80 years your Dad has never been alone, then he's had a good 80 years. God bless him. :cheers:

I understand the pain of a dog passing. I posted on here earlier this year when our dog of 14 years died, and I really cannot tell you how wonderful people were - both on the thread and PM's. I still miss her dearly, but the thing which gets me through is knowing what a long life she had, and what a great life she had. If you couldn't have done any more, then that's the doggy dream :)

Christmas seems to sharply polarise emotions. You are so right in saying it's a double edged sword. I'm no expert, but all I can say is try and focus on the positives - and try to pick the positives (however small) out of the negatives. Then, when you get help - they'll probably tell you to ignore idiots like me.. :moo:

Cheers Knocky, yes, my Dad has had a good innings and to be honest I’m not sure if he even gets I’m his son anymore (my brother is ‘the guy who works for him’) so the emotional pain and this time of year is mine and me projecting probably. But the care home arranged a FaceTime call this morning with me and so I managed to speak and see him and frankly that’s the best Christmas present I could have wished for, even if he made no sense what so ever - fortunately I’m fluent in talking rubbish as all long time NSC readers will testify!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
There is a lot of dust in my eye reading all this.

I've had a rough few years in many ways but nothing compared to some of the posts here. Stay as strong as you can everyone, seek help if needed, it's not a crime, we all have a soft spot, just some of us hide it away.

My dog wandered into the road earlier today, luckily only an old dear doing 20 miles an hour 50m away . . . . I shouted and he trotted back That really would not have been a good start to Christmas day. Stay safe everyone, and pets!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
As someone who finds this time of year - and this day especially- a real struggle, I just want to say thank you to [MENTION=36757]Happy Exile[/MENTION] and everybody who has posted on this thread. It makes a real difference to feel you’re not alone.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
As someone who finds this time of year - and this day especially- a real struggle, I just want to say thank you to [MENTION=36757]Happy Exile[/MENTION] and everybody who has posted on this thread. It makes a real difference to feel you’re not alone.

Bless you BN. Here’s to 3pts for us all tomorrow. #Together

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018

I hope you and everyone who has posted on this thread had the best Christmas you could, and wish everyone a happy and healthy New Year. Let's keep looking out for each other, something this forum does so well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here