Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Christenings - what's the point.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ok so if you are religous obviously there is a point, but what about everybody else.
Unsurprisingly we went to a full church christening yesterday.
The parents aren't married & aren't religious, but we still went through the charade.

Throughout the service at least 1 family had no control over their brat, and continued to row with him (loudly) throughout, showing no respect for where they were or the vicar, who must have known it was all a shame.

Then everybody went on for food and speeches which was great, everybody caught up kids freely running around, all you would expect.

Could we not have some kind of 'civil naming ceremony', because the church do was pointless.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
My mum and dad have never been religious, but yet me and my sister were still baptised.

Maybe it was just an excuse for a piss up? :lolol:

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
We chose not to christen our children because I am completely and 100% anti religion as is my wife and we figured the whole thing would be very hypocritical.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
you can indeed have a "nameing ceremony" and yes, its really just an excuse for a piss up.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It is because parents can't stop asking people to lavish attention on them and their kids. After the excitement and attention of the wedding and the birth they just can't stop the bloody circus. Soon you will be invited to spend more time / money / attention on them as the first birthday rears it's muelling, toothless, ruddy cheeked head.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
To be honest I am in full agreement.

Why get married in a church if it has no religious meaning for the individuals involved, or a christening/baptism/funeral there etc.

Hypocritical beyond belief.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
To be honest I am in full agreement.

Why get married in a church if it has no religious meaning for the individuals involved, or a christening/baptism/funeral there etc.

Hypocritical beyond belief.

Neither of us are religious hence a simple ceremony at the registry office and a simple reception

cost less than 3 grand and we are happier for it

My nephew and his now ex-wife spent nearly £20,000 on their big church wedding huge reception etc and the money arguements helped ruin them and were together less than 2 years!!!

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
around here they christen their kids so they can put their names down on the faith schools list for a place and stay away from the not so good non-denomination schools.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Neither of us are religious hence a simple ceremony at the registry office and a simple reception

cost less than 3 grand and we are happier for it

My nephew and his now ex-wife spent nearly £20,000 on their big church wedding huge reception etc and the money arguements helped ruin them and were together less than 2 years!!!

Indeed in this day and age where you can have a "service" almost anywhere it seems pointless having it at a church or other religious building when it means nothing.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
around here they christen their kids so they can put their names down on the faith schools list for a place and stay away from the not so good non-demoniation schools.

Good thing is in our area if you do that and you or the kids are not seen at the church regularly then there is NO WAY the kid will be let in as it has to be signed off by the vicar/priest etc.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
around here they christen their kids so they can put their names down on the faith schools list for a place and stay away from the not so good non-demoniation schools.

Exactly. A massive con. I refuse to go to my families christenings. It's a bloody piss take,

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class

That's rather misleading. How much of that 20,000 was dependent on the fact it was in a church?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Yeah fair point the church would have been a small percentage of that amount. I think he was saying that there was this "big do" and 2 yrs later everyone is out of pocket.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If you get christened you can be confirmed

terrymendez

Nov 22, 2006
Dials
We chose not to christen our children because I am completely and 100% anti religion as is my wife and we figured the whole thing would be very hypocritical.

Can i suggest that if you are against religion there really was no choice to make?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here