Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Wood - did we miss a trick

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
We missed a trick with letting Murray go as well as letting Bennett go for just 1m IMO.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
We missed a trick with letting Murray go as well as letting Bennett go for just 1m IMO.

I think the best we can do if a player wants to go is to line up a replacement before allowing it. Buckley may turn out to be as good as Elliott. CMS is preferred to Murray. I am not sure if Hoskins to be preferred to Chris Wood though. I would like to think Bergkamp could be?

Going up a division, I would ideally want three new players of a higher standard without getting rid of any. And replacements of squad players. Loan players to replace long term injured for the duration.

Poyet/Taricco do not expect promotion this season. I think everybody wants us to be in contention so we can sign better players if (or when) they become available in the next close season. Forget January unless we a central midfielder or anyone of quality becomes available.

By the time we have learnt to play tippy-tappy in three years or so, the system will have evolved to a higher level. We have got some catching up to do and rapidly and so has the rest of British football.

PS: I think Liverpool are ahead of the game and they will win the Premier League.

Older British players are still passing longish into the occupied channels (even Man U against Liverpool). I know the Spanish play long balls, but it is usually out wide to the unoccupied wings. This way possession is retained. Difficult on the small pitch at Millwall.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Was always pathetic how many people on here turned against Chris Wood saying how terrible he was just because we played shit for the last few games last season. Glad to see him doing well and will no doubt come back to haunt us by scoring on the 29th.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Pretty sure this might have been a thread sometime ago but seeing his goal against Leicester at weekend (think this is 8th or 9th now) cannot help thinking it would have been good to get him back on loan - I seem to recall GP saying that at the time WBA were keen on keeping him and loaned him out at last moment - cannot help thinking he looks pretty hand and is more of a physical presence than what we have now. Took his goal on Sunday really well - just wondering what other NSC followers thought maybe try and buy him in Jan or get him on loan again?
Wood was great for us until he came back from international duty in China.

If Birmingham keep playing him and he ends up not resting during international breaks, I can see the same thing happening again for them.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Pretty sure this might have been a thread sometime ago but seeing his goal against Leicester at weekend (think this is 8th or 9th now) cannot help thinking it would have been good to get him back on loan - I seem to recall GP saying that at the time WBA were keen on keeping him and loaned him out at last moment - cannot help thinking he looks pretty hand and is more of a physical presence than what we have now. Took his goal on Sunday really well - just wondering what other NSC followers thought maybe try and buy him in Jan or get him on loan again?

No - Didn't rate him at the time and Gus did the right thing by not asking him back. In hindsight perhaps a mistake, but not at the time

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
He wasn't very popular on NSC so obviously he isn't a very good player.

Now where is that sarcasm smiley?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well, call it hindsight if you like, but I for one would have liked to have kept him - he is very young, and likely to improve with age and experience.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
No, too slow and cumbersome and less spring than Crouch. Yes he's young but no amount of coaching will improve those deficiencies.

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
Would have signed him permanently in the summer if available. He has a bright future and will be a Premier League Striker one day. I said it at the time and got stick for it...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No - Didn't rate him at the time and Gus did the right thing by not asking him back. In hindsight perhaps a mistake, but not at the time

Gus was interviewed recently, Wood was mentioned and he said the opportunity to get Wood back on loan was never available to him.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I saw the entire Wood spell with us, and he was more often poor than not, masked by Bennett, Murray, Dicker, Bridcutt, Calderon, LuaLua & Barnes all being on fire at that level.

Murray and Bennett, especially in the Poyet era, were consistent class acts, and for me Murray was before that too. Don't mind admitting it.
At the fans day in April, Murray was mobbed, reflecting the fans saw his class.
But left for money, so we move on too.

Poyet made the right decision on Wood.

We're a work in progress, and TB/Gus will quietly improve the obvious weaknesses (centre midfield, goalie, Painter & Calderon), in January & Summer 2012.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011

He was not interested in staying with us keeping him was not an option.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Wood is quality and was never appreciated enough when he was here. I really rated him.

Im gutted we didnt get to sign him again or permanently, he is going to be a Premiership player.

Im amazed how few people here could see the potential he has. It was obvious to me. He never got enough credit for some of the things he did for us last year. I remember a game at Withdean, might have been the Orient 5.0 win, where he was totally unplayable and created so much for us, yet others got all the credit.

He is still really young (I think some forget how young because of his size) and is obviously improving all the time. At this stage of the season, to score as many goals as he has in The Championship in an average team at 19 proves he is quality.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here