Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Wood back on our radar?

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Not sure about Wood. He was too slow when he was with us and was way way inferior to Murray. I am sure he has improved but has had 3 loan clubs since then and there is a reason for that.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Shots on target . Chris wood ....26 shots on target Mackail Smith ...26 shots on target. Goals , Chris Wood ..8 Mackail Smith ....10 . Rest my case M`lud .

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think there is confusion here, Gus and TB were seen in the Pink Coconut last night, both in Village People outfits, and Gus said to TB "Tony you're giving me wood". This was overheard by Andy Naylor (in the construction worker costume), and the next minute it's in the Argus.

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
I think there is confusion here, Gus and TB were seen in the Pink Coconut last night, both in Village People outfits, and Gus said to TB "Tony you're giving me wood". This was overheard by Andy Naylor (in the construction worker costume), and the next minute it's in the Argus.

Genuinely chuckled to myself.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Held the ball up well, scored two good goals and made some good layoffs. I was impressed by him tonight, looked a much better player than CMS on the night. I thought he was a bit of a donkey when he was here but it seems that I could have been wrong, on tonight's performance I'd rather have him than CMS who seems to struggle to put in good performances on a regular basis. I don't buy the "don't play to his strengths" argument either. CMS ball control was shocking tonight and he lost the ball because of it to let Wood in for his second.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Fits Millwall's style completely, doesn't suit ours at all. If we were going to mix it up a bit I'd take him for sure but think we have our own way of playing and far better fits out there. He's more a Crouch than a Heskey for me. Always attempting overheads and flicks it on to himself with headers lol

Looks better than he is as Millwall played it all to suit him tonight and think he only suits one style. Looked far worse than he actually is, for us as we did the opposite. Truth lies in the middle I think.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
£500K would be a snip. He's young, he's getting better, and could get a lot better yet. Only worry is, a lot of strikers seem to do well after they've left us (Murray, Wood, Davies, Robinson, for example) and a lot suddenly seem unable to hit a cow's arse with a banjo when they come here (CMS (to a degree), Dobbie, Vokes, et al).

I wouldn't mind if we outbid Millwall for Wood's signature, though.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
Chatting to a couple of Millwall fans on the P&R after the match. They said Millwall had already offered 500k, but WBA upped it to 1 mil as a result of him scoring a few goals. I'm not convinced he is the striker we are looking for. Our style would not suit him.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Chris Wood - it's a 'no thanks' from me. We've got enough average players on our books already.

Until last night, which admittedly is the 1st time I've seen him this season, I'd have agreed with you as I was not overly impressed last time he was here, but that was two years ago now and he seems to have matured.

He holds the ball up well, we don't have a forward who does that, apart from Dobbie who struggles to hold down a place
He has presence in the box, we don't have another player with that attribute
He is scoring goals quite regularly now and isn't afraid to shoot, reasonably accurately on last night's performance
He has toughened up and is not easy to shake off the ball.
At 1 million he is presumably within our abilities to sign
He won't take 6 or more weeks to understand the way we play, having played for us before.

We don't have a player like him on the books other than maybe Adgestein who Gus seems unwilling to play and has virtually no experience.

People keep saying he doesn't suit our style of play but apart from pace I can't see what he is lacking and seeing as we seldom break at pace he'd fit in better than CMS seems to do at the moment. If we had both it would give Gus options in team selection and give us a plan B upfront.

I have changed my mind and would be quite pleased to see him here, especially if all Gus' January "special" targets are as unattainable as they have been in the last few transfer windows. If we are gonna splash 4-6 million on a forward fair enough but I have my doubts that we will and Wood is probably within our budget.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If Wood played like that every week, he'd be starting for West Brom and not available for less that £10m.

That said, I think he is a lot more consistent than any of our four strikers. Much as I think I'd have Wood back, I'd rather we tried to get a proper proven consistent finisher in which I suspect will mean shipping out the labrador and possibly Hoskins too.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Why would wood want to come to us rather than stay at millwall. They play a very direct game that suits him, he is scoring a load of goals and appears happy.

All our crowd did was slag him off, as we did with Murray, Henderson and are now doing with CMs.

Maybe brighton fans wil only be happy with a Suarez or Thierry Henri?

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Thought Wood looked good last night.

He runs strangely tho.

That aside not sure he is the answer to our striking issues, but a solid player.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It was reported that WBA want £1.75m for him and at the price I would say no. At a lower price perhaps but would he be prepared to be a squad player and only brought on as plan B, I dont think so

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Gus quote from BBC sport page

Brighton manager Gus Poyet: "He [Chris Wood] is the kind of player we would like to bring in,

"He's only 21 and I feel he will be a top, top player. When he was with us on loan he was a baby but now he is maturing. He's a man now.

"He's clinical and brave and we have played a part in helping him on his way."

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Why would wood want to come to us rather than stay at millwall. They play a very direct game that suits him, he is scoring a load of goals and appears happy.

All our crowd did was slag him off, as we did with Murray, Henderson and are now doing with CMs.

Maybe brighton fans wil only be happy with a Suarez or Thierry Henri?
No they didn't. Our crowd are no different to most others - fickle.

As for Wood, I agree with you - if I was him, I'd engineer a move to Millwall all the while Kenny Jacket is running things. He's at a club best suited to showcasing his ability. That James Henry (#14) is an excellent crosser of the ball and gives him the service he thrives on. If I was a player like Wood, I'd look at Albion and the fact that we already have 4 strikers of similar standard and see that we can't get the best out of any of them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here