Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris McPhee

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
i've lost track of who the Arse is in this thread...

I get the impression its not McPhee (who Ive always liked as a good honest player who gives 100%. Whether that is sufficient is debatable, bit i think he's worth a squad place).

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I think McPhee has a bit more to him then just a player who gives his all, I really think he could have a bit of a Darius Henderson renaissance.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
London Irish said:
Think it was Burnley rather than West Ham he had his good game. I see the emergence of Gatting threatening him, but if he plays well at Swindon, then who knows, maybe a 3-month contract like Dean Hammond was given rather than just cutting him adrift.

he played well at turf moor last season when he was paired with Jakey up front - best i have seen eithe rof them lay and hammond played well that day

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
London Irish said:
Think it was Burnley rather than West Ham he had his good game

So I gather, although I wasn't there to see it, sadly. I remember being impressed with the way he did the simple things well against West Ham, really using his body well to shield the ball and laying it off neatly. I don't go along with the whole "touch of a rapist" thing - for a target man, he's pretty handy in that department; technically he's fine, but seems to switch off occasionally and allow the defender to steal in from behind. I would have liked to have seen him given a bit more of a chance this season.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
If he had that bit more confidence in front of goal I think he might have bagged a goal and that would have really helped him. His injury problems haven't helped.

Repugnant Toad said:
So I gather, although I wasn't there to see it, sadly. I remember being impressed with the way he did the simple things well against West Ham, really using his body well to shield the ball and laying it off neatly. I don't go along with the whole "touch of a rapist" thing - for a target man, he's pretty handy in that department; technically he's fine, but seems to switch off occasionally and allow the defender to steal in from behind. I would have liked to have seen him given a bit more of a chance this season.

I've seen a video of the Turf Moor match, what raised eyebrows a bit in that game is that he did beat a few people when taking the ball forward. Generally I agree that technically he's a decent player, I just feel he lacks that yard of pace to be really effective and hurt the opposition, but to be fair that can be said about so many of our strikers. He makes an interesting comparison with Gatting, who perhaps has similar strengths and weaknesses.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
London Irish said:
He makes an interesting comparison with Gatting, who perhaps has similar strengths and weaknesses.

Have to agree, they strike me as very similar players. It will be interesting to see how their respective careers pan out, especially as I think Gatting lacks a bit of confidence in the way McPhee does.

acrossthepond

Jan 30, 2006
Ruritania
London Irish said:
I've seen a video of the Turf Moor match, what raised eyebrows a bit in that game is that he did beat a few people when taking the ball forward. Generally I agree that technically he's a decent player, I just feel he lacks that yard of pace to be really effective and hurt the opposition, but to be fair that can be said about so many of our strikers. He makes an interesting comparison with Gatting, who perhaps has similar strengths and weaknesses.

I suppose the argument (fair or not) is then that McPhee should have taken a step forwards by now, and that Gatting has time on his side to do exactly that...

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
acrossthepond said:
I suppose the argument (fair or not) is then that McPhee should have taken a step forwards by now, and that Gatting has time on his side to do exactly that...

McPhee has been very unlucky with injuries though.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I'm caught 50 - 50 in the McPhee debate..... i agree with Les that he does have the ablilty to possibly become a decent player..... however we now have four striker like that, CKR,Jakey,Gatts and McPhee.

Also have Turienzo who is yet to prove himself...... so i believe we will release McPhee as his contract is up and over the last two seasons hasn't progressed as a player since our play-off season.

I know this is partly due to injuries and also except he hasn't been given a fair run of games but even if we sign him for next season i still can't see him getting a look-in.

If he does go i wish him good luck as whenever i have seen him he has given 100% effort and never given up.

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Lets hope mc phee bangs a fair few in although very unlikely,would love to see swindon go down although its a great trip and easy for next season.:drink:

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Reading Ferrets comments on seagulls.co.uk I think it is clear that this is the last we will see of McPhee at the club. It sounds pretty permanent to me!

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
It's a shame.

McPhee was never the sh!t player NSC made him out to be.

If we hadn't gone up to the Championship and he hadn't got injured he may well have got an extended run in the team and proved himself.

The trouble is, as has already been pointed out in this thread, we have plenty of players that may develop into good players, but we can't afford to wait and see.

Good Luck to him.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Les Biehn said:
I think McPhee has a bit more to him then just a player who gives his all, I really think he could have a bit of a Darius Henderson renaissance.

An apt comparison. People forget that Henderson went back to Reading because McPhee had taken his place in the side fair and square. Look at him now.

I personally think he started going downhill when McGhee kept on about the need for a new striker in league 1 when he had scored 8 or so goals. The confidence in him went and we have barely seen him since.

If he went, its not the end of the world but I don't think it will be the end of his career.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Mcphee is no worse than Robinson and has scored more goals and offers more - when Knight was on form two years ago in lg 1 it was mcphee that tended to start along side him - then mcghee came in and dropped him.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Kinky Gerbils said:
Mcphee is no worse than Robinson and has scored more goals and offers more - when Knight was on form two years ago in lg 1 it was mcphee that tended to start along side him - then mcghee came in and dropped him.

I don't think he offers more...in fact he offers less, he does have the ablity to hold the ball up but has no change of pace and his movement is limited.

Although jakey is easily muscled off the ball he is quicker and troubles defences much more than McPhee

blockhseagull said:
I don't think he offers more...in fact he offers less, he does have the ablity to hold the ball up but has no change of pace and his movement is limited.

Although jakey is easily muscled off the ball he is quicker and troubles defences much more than McPhee

Agreed - Jake has weaknesses but his pace and movement gives him one outstanding strength that can trouble good defenders. McPhee lacks an outstanding strong feature in his overall game.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I think it may be the end of his Albion career (and that is not intended as a comment on his ability), clearly he does not feature large in the plans off MM. With the arrival of GNW at the club and the indication that he may be here longer than the end of the season it would surely push Chris further down the pecking order.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here