Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Mcphee

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
Don't think many are slagging him off. His goals contribution has been absolutely invaluable. In an ideal world I simply think he would be much better deployed as a sub and slowly learning in training from 2 senior pro-strikers at the club.

Until that ideal world comes, he has to play.

As ever, it depends on what your expectations are.

If you think Albion have a divine right to be a Division 1 team despite playing in a Conference stadium, you will undoubtedly concentrate on McPhee's weaknesses rather than his strengths.

But, if a year ago you would have said that he would have got this many starts this season and played a good role in so many of our wins, any fair-minded fan would have been delighted.

Saturday was not his best day because he relies on a good flow of accurate ball from midfield to do his job. The patched-together midfield did not work against Oldham so McPhee suffered. He is not a Leon Knight who can create something out of nothing.

He probably does lack that little bit of speed or a striker's snap to be a prolific goalscorer.

But his value in the side was illustrated even in the difficult circumstances against Oldham. It was McPhee who was first to Mayo's long throw and set up Leon for a header at point blank range. Sadly, the Oldham keeper did brilliantly.

If Leon had done a little better, I reckon we would not be having this discussion about McPhee, but instead a thread praising the vital linking work he does up front.

We don't have the money to sign another striker, so the emergence of McPhee this year has been a big bonus for us.

Last edited:

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
London Irish said:
If Leon had done a little better, I reckon we would not be having this discussion about McPhee

Can't blame Leon in my view. We played our leading scorer as a supplier of balls into the box. That is what left McPhee largely plowing a lone furrow and placed him under increased scrutiny by their defence and our own fans.

This seems to have left a feeling that someone with a slight bit more presence and experience is needed to play that sort of demanding role.

Much prefer Knight and McPhee working alonsgside each other and concentrate on improving the woeful service from midfield (something you've already pointed out).

Harold said:
Can't blame Leon in my view. We played our leading scorer as a supplier of balls into the box. That is what left McPhee largely plowing a lone furrow and placed him under increased scrutiny by their defence and our own fans.

Yes, I was talking about Leon doing better in just that one goal-scoring incident, not his overall play, which was his usual good standard.

The move out leftwards was novel and although it didn't quite come off, I applaud McGhee for trying something different to break up the game, as with Virgo up front at the end.

Captain Pugwash

Paul Kitson
Oct 27, 2003
brighton
to me mcphee is one of the young players of the year. He has had a chance and he has taken it, he's 9 goals this season(more then the midfield put 2gether) have all been good ones and was the only one to put effect in some games i.e Lincoln. He has set up a lot of knight's goals aswell.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
mcphee has been a revelation and if only harty or jonah could cross it better he would be on 12-15 by now. to have 9 goals as a 'second striker' is magnificent, well done chrissy boy!

Oct 25, 2003
bare in mind tht b4 this season he hasn't played more than 5 games a season, so playin gupfront 4 a team tht is rlly uncreative will take a long time 2 get used 2

mitch

Oct 16, 2003
GIVE THE LAD A CHANCE GETS A BREAK AS WE HAVE NO ONE ELSE AND HE HAS'NT LET ANYBODY DOWN SO FAR
christ sake what do you have to be thierry henry good young player whos been getting better every game and he will end up with 15 goals by the end of the season which is not a bad return for your 1st full season. he will be even better next year.
i can't believe what gets put up here sometimes:censored:

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
As much as i would like to disagree i can't and sadly
there must be at least another 5/6 who are not
up to the mark..e.g ..marney...jones...oatway...sadly harty
pethick....think we just need a good clearout.....
no good being sentimental

mitch

Oct 16, 2003
the only way a player improves is by playing games and anyway this discussion is pointless really as we do not have anyone else so hes going to play anyway so all the best chris

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
He's done ok for his first season, but I agree with many of the posts that ideally I would prefer a bigger more experienced forward to partner Leon and have McPhee as a support striker.

But things won't change as we're potless, so we must all encourage McPhee as much as possible so he does'nt lose confidence.

Who knows - he might just score the winner on Saturday !
You can but hope.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Personally I think he's been playing well and improving all the time. He holds the ball up well and links up well with Leon.

However we do need another striker if we're to make the playoffs. Someone experienced and big. McPhee would be very good to have on the bench.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I think Chris McPhee has come on in leaps and bounds this year but I'm not sure that he would be a first choice striker if we had a viable alternative. I much rather see him coming off the bench for the last 20 mins of a game with a view to playing him more next season when, hopefully, he will have shapened up his attacking instincts a little.

One thing I wouldn't do though is write Chris off yet. He has done well this year compared with many of the team and nobody should criticise his commitment and ability, which is more than one can say for Watson, Mayo, Hart, Watson and Rehman, all of whom have been exceptionally poor this year.

:bounce:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here