Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Mc Phee

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Melton also scored a cracker of a silver goal against Lawrie Sanchez Wycombe in the LDV Rover Freight Van windows lower divisions mickey mouse cup as well.

I've seen nothing from McPhee that makes me think that he is up to football at this level or league 1 :(

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
London Irish said:
I wonder if he'll get a chance to start tomorrow. McGhee is talking about bringing Virgs back to mark Akinbiyi.

Virgo should have been played at the back for the last 7/8 games or so and then we wouldn't have been in the current situation we would be safe by now.

BensGrandad said:
Virgo should have been played at the back for the last 7/8 games or so and then we wouldn't have been in the current situation we would be safe by now.

He was played at the back against Reading. Alas it was his missed tackle that allowed the cross for Forster's goal.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
BensGrandad said:

so he would have scored aswell as defended.

of course we always have the goal machines to unleash...ummm...knight?..oh...

he cant single handedly make refs not give penalties either...your logic is flawed imho

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Our season has fallen by the wayside due to MM insistence on playing Virgo up front when it is obvious to all that he is not and never will be a striker. The only reason for this decision was that it was a cheap option as a striker would prove to be too expensive for us.

The end result is that we may well be relegated as a consequence.

Even if a striker wanted 5k a week, which is a lot by our standards, on transfer deadline day we were only talking of about 6 - 7 weeks so an investment of £30 - £35k would have allowed us to play Virgo in his natural position, which indeed MM says is his best and probably where he wil finish up and possibly captains the side, in central defence thus allowing the new striker and Knight to get the goals that we needed to stay up. With Chris McPhee if so desired to be on the bench to come on at a late stage if needed.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
for f*cks sake, can everyone stop blaming mcghee for everything now. there are some remarkable results he has got for us this year. he takes risks, he has to, but blaming him for playing virgs up front and saying why thats why we are where we are is b*llocks im afraid.
back to the point, i think mcphee can be a decent league 1 striker as he showed under coppell last year

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Dick Knight and Mark McGhee in accepting their positions also accept that the blame for any form of failure will be laid at their doorstep. as indeed is the praise if we do well.

Who else can be blamed for not signing a proven striker on transfer deadline day?

Irrespective of the financial constraints placed upon us with the inquiry and Withdean etc it is fact that we didnt sign a player when we needed him and MM chose or was forced to take the cheap optiion, in fact possibly the only option open to him and try somebody we already had at the club in that position. Obviously MM hoped that C McPhee would be fit and prove a suitable back up. I personally do not think so but it was MM decision.

IMHO this could prove to be the action that relegated us but I most sincerely hope not.

The other alternative is to adopt the Bellotti attitude and for DK and MM to start saying it is not my fault blame XY or Z

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Hopefully start with McCammon and Robinson up front and play 5 across the back my team would be:

Blayney

Reid
El Abd
Virgo
Butters
Mayo if fit or Harding

Oatway
Carpenter
Harding if Mayo is fit or Hammond if not

Mc Cammon
Robinson

BensGrandad said:
Our season has fallen by the wayside due to MM insistence on playing Virgo up front

The only reason why we now have a chance of staying up is Virgs' goals up front.

Still in the land of make believe, I see, thinking that Championship-class strikers will go anywhere just for 7 weeks with no security beyond that, or that clubs will let them come to us for no fee.

I can only assume you weren't at Coventry because anyone who'd seen Virgs' goal there would not be still prattling on about "natural positions". He will play where he will be most effective against particular oppositions, against a physical striker like Akinbiyi that might be at the back, against other teams, it will be up front. Most importantly, get behind the current team - it's all we've got - rather than keep shouting for your pie-in-the-sky phantom strikers.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
BensGrandad said:
Our season has fallen by the wayside due to MM insistence on playing Virgo up front .

Far too simplistic, I'd rather blame Ben Roberts and Michel Kuipers for getting injured...I mean how f***ing inconsiderate is that. It's also partly Coppell's fault for selling Henderson to Gillingham because without him they would already be down.

Well I reckon that's as close to the truth as your interpretation :)

Last edited:

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Chris, Chris Mcphee, He's only here to make the tea. (He's replaced David Lee). Melon was a very useful palyer in my opinion. Players with a fraction of his ability play regularly for the stripes. I'm amazed that he didn't make an impact at Hull. It's a funny old game!

London Irish said:
I wonder if he'll get a chance to start tomorrow. McGhee is talking about bringing Virgs back to mark Akinbiyi.

There you go. Big game for McPhee today - I would have started with Jake with Virgs needed for Akinbiyi but let's hope Chris can prove us all wrong.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
London Irish said:
Still in the land of make believe, I see, thinking that Championship-class strikers will go anywhere just for 7 weeks with no security beyond that, or that clubs will let them come to us for no fee.

It is commonly called a loan whereby clubs lend other clubs players especially when there is a possibility that they will not be offering their man another contract. e.g Chris Greenachre at taken rocket science to have told a striker we were interested in him just to get him here for 7 weeks and then decide that he wasn't what we wanted but at least we had his service for 7 / 8 games. Instead we signed Dolan a central defender who I am told struggled whilst on loan to Crawley. When we had an abbundance of central defenders.

Blah...blah...blah.....

Back to the main subject of this thread.

Well done Chris McPhee - he's not proved everyone wrong on this thread, but he advanced his case today that he's got a future with our club.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
London Irish said:
Blah...blah...blah.....

Well done Chris McPhee - he's not proved everyone wrong on this thread, but he advanced his case today that he's got a future with our club.

Like to say i backed him:ohmy:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
London Irish said:
Blah...blah...blah.....

As I said on the other thread, Jakey came on, and, as he & McPhee are used to playing with each they know each other's games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here