Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Iwelumo

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Herne Hill Seagull said:
Is that all it was, Buzz? 'Coz I don't want to belittle the bloke, but he seems to do a fair bit of moving about as a free agent. Doesn't seem to want to stay in one place too long in case something 'better' is available later.

Well I couldn't understand why he'd want to go to Aachen.

I was under the impression that he was going to stay but he needed somewhere to live. Mind you, it may have just been his agent stirring it up.

I would have liked to have kept him at the time (Not just because he played well this season). I thought he was good in those few months he played for us.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
rusty redeyes said:
don't remember a rush to promote keeping him. I thought he was awful in the play off final

There were 21 others just as bad though that day

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
eastlondonseagull said:
Was that the reason we got rid of him?! ???

Yes, we couldn't really afford to spend about 250k on a house for him.
I cant remember many people being that bothered when we got rid of him to be honest, and when he wanted to come back we already had McCammon as our target man.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Da Man Clay said:
Yes, we couldn't really afford to spend about 250k on a house for him.
I cant remember many people being that bothered when we got rid of him to be honest, and when he wanted to come back we already had McCammon as our target man.

But McGhee was proved wrong so there's lots of mileage left in promoting what a top quality Championship player he obviously is and how MM f***ed up.

As someone else has already said, with Iwelumo as one of their main strikers I don't hold out much hope of Charlton going straight back up.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Im not going into the anti Mcghee thing, but looking at it in another way - 250k for a striker wouldnt be a bad price seeing the trouble Brighton have had signing one since?

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
Icy Gull said:
But McGhee was proved wrong so there's lots of mileage left in promoting what a top quality Championship player he obviously is and how MM f***ed up.

As someone else has already said, with Iwelumo as one of their main strikers I don't hold out much hope of Charlton going straight back up.

I bet Charlton fans are cock-a-hoop over that signing.

Darren Bent is due to leave but hey don`t worry we are signing Chris Iwo........... who.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Kinky Gerbils said:
Im not going into the anti Mcghee thing, but looking at it in another way - 250k for a striker wouldnt be a bad price seeing the trouble Brighton have had signing one since?

I don't disagree but I think most of the hindsight of Iwelumo being a missed opportunity is driven by a chance to have a dig at MM? He really is a very average player, imo, who thrived in the suprise team of the season. I will be very interested to see how he does next season only because I thought he was very pedestrian and hard working and awkward but no better than a fit McCammon imo.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Kinky Gerbils said:

It is for a striker who was at best average for us in league 1. We signed CKR for 150k that summer, did we not? I think £250k would be a ridiculous price considering.

EDIT:Come to think if it we didn't sign CKR till the season after, we used Virgo in Iwelumos role in the first season in the Championship.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here