Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Hughton - the most tactically astute BHA manager since...

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
And he LOVES all the Albion fans who always SUPPORT him LIKE me and he might even get a TRIBUTE night if we go UP

Yeh right Ernest..................Next defeat and you will probably be having a Hughton in or out poll again

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I really hope that, if we go up and don't immediately get the results everyone wants i.e. we're fighting relegation next season, this thread can be bumped back to the top of the message boards to remind us of the appreciation that CH is currently getting.

If Brighton are in the Premier League next year, it is an absolute certainty we would be fighting a relegation battle but cross that bridge if it happens

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
If Brighton are in the Premier League next year, it is an absolute certainty we would be fighting a relegation battle but cross that bridge if it happens

Exactly my point... unfortunately some people have a tendency to be a bit unrealistic and, if we're losing games and in a relegation battle, there's the possibility such people will jump straight on CH's back.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Exactly my point... unfortunately some people have a tendency to be a bit unrealistic and, if we're losing games and in a relegation battle, there's the possibility such people will jump straight on CH's back.

That comes with the territory of being a Football Manager and CH knows that but let us enjoy trying to get there before we start to worry about going back down

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

Why ? Watford aren't , Bournemouth are doing reasonably well although if we went up and Norwich came down it would be karma of sorts and the reaction of the Norwich fans would be interesting. With the new TV money and a scouting system for decent players there is nothing to say we couldn't do a reasonable job in the Premier

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Off yer knees serf and don't be such a COCK. Half the teams currently in the Premier League we used to play and beat on a regular basis in the lower leagues. All these teams are not all that special unless you Believe In SKY. And who in their right mind would DO such a thing? ???

#BeMoreLeicester

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Off yer knees serf and don't be such a COCK. Half the teams currently in the Premier League we used to play and beat on a regular basis in the lower leagues. All these teams are not all that special unless you Believe In SKY. And who in their right mind would DO such a thing? ???

#BeMoreLeicester

Name those teams. Ten teams we beat regularly in the lower leagues.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Name those teams. Ten teams we beat regularly in the lower leagues.

Can't be arzed to look up the stats, but are we SERIOUSLY supposed to be in awe of the Premier League god-likes of (in alphabetical order): Bournemouth, Crystal Palace, Leicester, Southampton, Stoke, Watford... ? ???

SAKE!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Can't be arzed to look up the stats, but are we SERIOUSLY supposed to be in awe of the Premier League god-likes of (in alphabetical order): Bournemouth, Crystal Palace, Leicester, Southampton, Stoke, Watford... ? ???

SAKE!

I didn't say we should be in awe of them, but beating them regularly? Sorry, but that was your statement.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

#BeMoreLeicester

All such clubs you refer to will have had several years premiership income and be spending it accordingly. Brighton on the other hand have not had that but I never once said we couldn't hold our own in it. All I am saying is that in the first few years it is more difficult to compete. Non strugglers are an Exception rather that the rule for promoted clubs

Anyhow I don't like to tempt fate in talking about something not yet achieved.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Tactically, I don't see Hughton as being superior to his Championship peers, or his predecessors for that matter. There's a misconception that managers at the higher level meticulously plot the downfall of the opposition by using complex tactical models based on selection and formation. The reality is managers know a system which works and make a few minor tweaks against certain opposition (eg a route-one, more physical team like Ipswich or a strong midfield-led team like Hull).

HOWEVER, where Hughton has really shone is his ability to select the best players in their best positions. Take a look at Stephens, Kayal, Murphy, Bruno, Lua Lua, Knockaert, Hemed, Sidwell - all looking comfortable in their chosen roles. There is a consistency. Peruse the matchday threads and you will see the similarities between fans' team selections. Rewind to past seasons and there were countless combinations, while hardly a week would pass without someone raising the issue over the most effective use of Bruno, Lua Lua, Ince, JFC, Stephens, Holla etc.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
By spending far and away the most amount of money, in Albion history.

That maybe true, but we're hardly the benchmark for big spending.
Our first choice match-day squad is very hard to better.. The ones that could claim to be have spent considerably more than us.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Tactically, I don't see Hughton as being superior to his Championship peers, or his predecessors for that matter. There's a misconception that managers at the higher level meticulously plot the downfall of the opposition by using complex tactical models based on selection and formation. The reality is managers know a system which works and make a few minor tweaks against certain opposition (eg a route-one, more physical team like Ipswich or a strong midfield-led team like Hull).

HOWEVER, where Hughton has really shone is his ability to select the best players in their best positions. Take a look at Stephens, Kayal, Murphy, Bruno, Lua Lua, Knockaert, Hemed, Sidwell - all looking comfortable in their chosen roles. There is a consistency. Peruse the matchday threads and you will see the similarities between fans' team selections. Rewind to past seasons and there were countless combinations, while hardly a week would pass without someone raising the issue over the most effective use of Bruno, Lua Lua, Ince, JFC, Stephens, Holla etc.

Spot on. Its really not that hard sometimes just pick the right players in the right positions (injuries/suspensions permitting) who remember the first game V Sheff Wed last year under Sami and CROFTS was on the right wing. Madness.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Spot on. Its really not that hard sometimes just pick the right players in the right positions (injuries/suspensions permitting) who remember the first game V Sheff Wed last year under Sami and CROFTS was on the right wing. Madness.

Yup. And when Oscar decided to try out Bruno as an attacking right midfielder against Ipswich - following his lengthy injury lay-off. He got toasted that day.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

What you've highlighted is his ability to buy superior players for the system he wants to play, and use them to complement the better players already at the club who can effectively play the system he wants to play.

The consistency is, on many levels a strength, but we're yet to see whether it pays off long term or whether the players will run out of steam. As we saw in our poor run, teams were starting to work us out, particularly when we had injuries, so the consistency and lack of variety could work against us. Hopefully the Hull game shows CH is willing to mix up his system when it's appropriate though. Also, I think the back up he's brought in over January will lead to more freshening up of the match day team towards the end of the season to ensure our best players aren't at risk of injury...

Still, a well thought out post.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here