Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Chris Hughton: 'It’s a good feeling to be the manager of a big club'

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Parachute payments have been around for 15 years.

Anyway, ye ye Chris is flawless etc. But the most likely scenario is that he will get sacked and whoever replaces him will do better. Thats the most likely scenario. He got their worst win rate in ten years and they play absolutely dire, defensive, coward football, because thats how the manager set them up to play. Regardless of what he did in Brighton and how Irish he is, its pathetic to watch. Poor mans Tony Pulis.

Who knows how good or bad the squad is when no one allows them to try to play football. I've seen worse squads produce a lot more points and entertainment than Hughton is achieving at Nottingham.

Watched a lot of Forest games then have you? I haven't watched any.

Hughton knows how to do a job. At Brighton he had the right players and conditions to do that. Perhaps that is not replicated at Forest. He has a style. It got us promoted and that's all that matters. It wasn't going to take us further.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Anyway, ye ye Chris is flawless etc. But the most likely scenario is that he will get sacked and whoever replaces him will do better. Thats the most likely scenario. He got their worst win rate in ten years and they play absolutely dire, defensive, coward football, because thats how the manager set them up to play. Regardless of what he did in Brighton and how Irish he is, its pathetic to watch. Poor mans Tony Pulis.

Who knows how good or bad the squad is when no one allows them to try to play football. I've seen worse squads produce a lot more points and entertainment than Hughton is achieving at Nottingham.

Poor man’s Tony Pulis?

Absolutely nothing like it at Brighton in the championship, and kept us in the PL with a lesser squad than we have now.

Literally talking out of your backside. Have a look at the quality of Brighton in the championship.

Edit - agree with the rest of your quote re Forest, but a lot of that is due to what he inherited and the state of that club.

Last edited:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I know a Forest Season Ticket Holder and he says he is Shitehouse.

*actual true story

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015

1. Yes - parachute payments have been around for 15 years - and the value of the parachute payments have trebled in the intervening period. And the parachute payments are leading to a greater incidence of clubs yo-yoing between the two divisions

2. And ya ya - CH is a human being - he makes mistakes like everyone else. We have no idea what is going on behind the scenes at Forest and how this will pan out. He may well be sacked - but you have no way of knowing what the next manager will do. Certainly - from the current situation - a new manager would have five first team players returning from injury (how would Potter be doing if he was missing Dunk, Webster, March, Bissouma and Trossard? - because that is the equivalent) - but without new players this week Forest are going to struggle badly no matter who is in change. They survived last season almost exclusively on the play of James Garner - and now 15 players have been shipped out with little coming in to replace them - and Garner is gone.

3. Yes - he sets them up to play defensively because he does not have the firepower to go and attack teams - with his four starting defenders out injured if they attacked the opposition they would be beaten by a cricket score. While what he is doing is defensive and dire - his team has been in each game this season - when the injuries resolve he will have an opportunity to go after teams a lot more. It is pathetic to watch - but this is a results business and he is doing what he thinks is necessary to get points.

4. Please enlighten us as to which teams with a poorer squad and missing so many first team players with injury have produced more points and more entertaining football?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

Hughton knows how to do a job. At Brighton he had the right players and conditions to do that. Perhaps that is not replicated at Forest. He has a style. It got us promoted and that's all that matters. It wasn't going to take us further.

That's very unfair and close to rewriting history.

His style during our two recent promotion campaigns was a very different style to that which he deployed in the PL.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

His style during our two recent promotion campaigns was a very different style to that which he deployed in the PL.

Absolutely, some fans have either short memories or only started supporting when we reached the Premier League.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
we played some great football in the season that we got promoted under Hughton, and in fact the season before (anyone else forgotten about that string of thrashings that we dished out to close the goal difference gap between us and Boro?). When he initially took over it was all about keeping us solid at the back which he did and kept us up quite comfortably in the end

Upon promotion the emphasis was on staying up and the football wasn't pretty but we wouldn't be where we are now without laying down that solid foundation in our first PL season

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

Normally I respect your views on football, but you are way off the mark here and showing some ignorance/arrogance

I sat through (live) all the seasons that Chris managed Brighton.

The only truly awful spell was the last half of the last season. Other than that the time in the premier league was mostly pragmatic with a few really good results.

More importantly, the football played in the championship, once he'd got us safe in the first season, was bloody good. Not the same, slick, 'play out from the back' style of Potter, but fast, exciting and great to watch. I enjoyed the football during two full seasons that Hughton managed us in the championship more than I've enjoyed the football under Potter. So far. I hope that will change as Potter is given the time to develop the squad, but as yet, that is the reality based on my time sitting in the stadium and watch pretty much every home game, and many away games live.

You may love Potter, and fair enough, but calling Hughton 'a poor man's Pulis' makes you look like a complete tw*t. Which I don't think you really are.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Yes. I watch more Championship than PL.

He had pretty much the same squad that ended in 7th place in 2019/20 and took them to 17th place. Yes, Sabri had lost the first five games of the season so he "only" had 41 games to improve them, and he didnt. They didnt look any better in May 2021 than in October 2020 despite him adding players he wanted (like Knockaert and Murray) and having a season to build something.

Poor man’s Tony Pulis?

Absolutely nothing like it at Brighton in the championship, and kept us in the PL with a lesser squad than we have now.

Literally talking out of your backside. Have a look at the quality of Brighton in the championship.

Edit - agree with the rest of your quote re Forest, but a lot of that is due to what he inherited and the state of that club.

I'm not talking about CH in Brighton, I'm talking about CH in Nottingham Forest. They are playing horrible football. They dont want to play anything other than horrible football. CH inherited a squad with Championship Team of the Year Brice Samba in goal, six former Premier League defenders (and at least four of them had got promoted with a team in the past) plus a host of youth/former youth internationals from France and Portugal.

In midfield he had five players with reasonable PL experience, another player with 40+ games in EL/CL, another one who is the first choice ahead of Bissouma in the Mali team, up front there was Grabban who had scored 20 goals in the Championship season before, Lyle Taylor who had a 1 in 2 goal ratio for Charlton also in the Championship, and then added Glenn to the mix.

Some people here (and yes, only here) believe that taking these guys into the 17th spot while playing dull and cautious football was some kind of achievement. It wasnt.

People are now pretending that losing the first four games of the season while playing dull, cautious is also some kind of achievement. It isnt.

Yes, the squad is weaker now than last year but its not like Blackburn or Coventry is oozing with superior, indefeatable quality or that it is impossible to grab a point from a Bournemouth game where the opponent play with 10 men for 30 minutes. What does he say after the games? "These are a good team" and then goes on to talk about getting new players, supposedly so that they can do what he cant - improve the team. But he had a good squad last season and he got a decent starting eleven now, the problem is that none of the quality matters if you resort to defending desperately with 11 men any time you take the lead or equalise a game.

CH got some great achievements with Newcastle, Norwich and Brighton. Thats great. However those achievements in the past does not change the reality of how dire his Forest have been.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Fans understandably ain't happy....their equivalent of the Argus has some interesting forest fan comments below article!

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/football-news/nottingham-forest-fans-react-delusional-5817513
[MENTION=12198]paul[/MENTION]worrall: Reading his comments he seems oblivious that his tactics may be an element in all this. He seems to think its purely a recruitment issue. Oblivious to his own shortcomings. He’s got to go!
[MENTION=23572]king[/MENTION]ofcreatine: I hate the revolving door of manager ins and outs but simply he has to go. 4 losses on the bounce, 2 wins in 18 league matches, no change of formation and lack of goals is costing us. Thanks for your efforts CH but time to go now.
[MENTION=503]Liam[/MENTION]waghorn: He was completely unconvincing. Regardless of the results the football is awful. Whole place needs a lift. He has to go, for me.

@KJMsport57: Time to go I’m afraid. Very nice bloke - but a coach who cannot change a team’s performance within a game. No improvement from last season.

@NFFCJRM: My biggest worry with CH is just a glaring lack of identity and style of play. There is nothing in terms of patterns of play or how we transition quickly from defence to attack. It’s all so pedestrian and scattergun. With the players we have, we should at least be creating.
[MENTION=1785]david[/MENTION]PNicholson: I can just about cope with a “transition” season and a long battle ahead but not when the football is so negative and we appear to have no plan.
[MENTION=19113]Pistol[/MENTION]Pete2: Delusional. One word that sums Chris up. Players are not playing for him so please end his tenure. He has failed miserably.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Normally I respect your views on football, but you are way off the mark here and showing some ignorance/arrogance

I sat through (live) all the seasons that Chris managed Brighton.

The only truly awful spell was the last half of the last season. Other than that the time in the premier league was mostly pragmatic with a few really good results.

More importantly, the football played in the championship, once he'd got us safe in the first season, was bloody good. Not the same, slick, 'play out from the back' style of Potter, but fast, exciting and great to watch. I enjoyed the football during two full seasons that Hughton managed us in the championship more than I've enjoyed the football under Potter. So far. I hope that will change as Potter is given the time to develop the squad, but as yet, that is the reality based on my time sitting in the stadium and watch pretty much every home game, and many away games live.

You may love Potter, and fair enough, but calling Hughton 'a poor man's Pulis' makes you look like a complete tw*t. Which I don't think you really are.

Well, tell that to the Nottingham fans. This thread is about CHs in Nottingham and this is the story: they hoof the ball, attack with a maximum of 3 or 4 players, defend deep and apply no pressure on the opponent, and they lose the games deservedly. After the games, the manager talks about how great the opponents are and that they concede too many goals. Because two is always too many if you stop playing any type of attacking football any time you score a goal.

Its great what he achieved in Brighton and I'm sure the football was great at times but none of that makes my opinions regarding his tenure in Nottingham "way off the mark". Watch them play - you'll regret it but you'll see what I mean.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Well, tell that to the Nottingham fans. This thread is about CHs in Nottingham and this is the story: they hoof the ball, attack with a maximum of 3 or 4 players, defend deep and apply no pressure on the opponent, and they lose the games deservedly. After the games, the manager talks about how great the opponents are and that they concede too many goals. Because two is always too many if you stop playing any type of attacking football any time you score a goal.

Its great what he achieved in Brighton and I'm sure the football was great at times but none of that makes my opinions regarding his tenure in Nottingham "way off the mark". Watch them play - you'll regret it but you'll see what I mean.

Don't care.

You called him a 'poor man's Tony Pulis'.

On NSC.

We have forgiven you a lot over the years but I'm afraid there's no coming back from that.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Don't care.

You called him a 'poor man's Tony Pulis'.

On NSC.

We have forgiven you a lot over the years but I'm afraid there's no coming back from that.

I dont give a shit, shove your "forgiveness".

Currently he looks like a poor mans Tony Pulis and Nottingham looks like a team coached by a poor mans Tony Pulis.

If this thread was about CH in Brighton, I wouldnt call him that, because from what I have seen of his Brighton days (people linking highlights to the promotion season etc) he did not like anything resembling a poor mans Tony Pulis.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I dont give a shit, shove your "forgiveness".

Currently he looks like a poor mans Tony Pulis and Nottingham looks like a team coached by a poor mans Tony Pulis.

If this thread was about CH in Brighton, I wouldnt call him that, because from what I have seen of his Brighton days (people linking highlights to the promotion season etc) he did not like anything resembling a poor mans Tony Pulis.

Chill.

This isn't about logic. It's about love. And most of us are ployamorous. We love Graham but that doesn't mean we have lost our love for Chris.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Granted, but it was still built on a defence first approach.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here