Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Chris Hughton: 'It’s a good feeling to be the manager of a big club'

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
If you were referring to the word "shit", 1) a quick search says you've used that as well as "feck" quite a lot and 2) the only ones who got issues with the word being used as a casual curse would be people with coprophagic tendencies. Furthermore the comment that the use of the word "says a lot about a person" is plainly ridiculous as it fairly common and I think you're digging a bit of a hole there (maybe you'll find something you like).

Reported for trolling my posts.
Although I don't expect anything to happen.
They will probably make you a mod :moo:

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
getting Garner back on loan is massive for Forest and Hughton

Would I rather choose Potter or Hughton now though? Potter. Every. Single. Time.

I would have liked to see what Hughton could have done with the squad Potter has at his disposal - but you have to give Potter credit for what he has achieved so far, although he still has some way to go to match what Hughton has achieved as a manager.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
At Norwich there was Van Wolfswinkel, at Brighton Locadia, Ali J etc. How much of a say did he have in these deals? its easy to argue we went agricultural as those were the players at his disposal, but did he choose them or have a part in that?

The problem is that it is not easy to find a PL quality striker - and when you are in the bottom half you have to keep throwing darts to find one - and that is expensive. Before joining Norwich, Van Wolfswinkel played for Sporting (having joined in a £5.5illion deal) and scored 28 goals in 55 games. Norwich paid £7.5million for him. After leaving Norwich he scored 20 goals in 32 for Vitesse in the Dutch PL. Some strikers just aren't cut out for the PL.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
getting Garner back on loan is massive for Forest and Hughton

I would have liked to see what Hughton could have done with the squad Potter has at his disposal - but you have to give Potter credit for what he has achieved so far, although he still has some way to go to match what Hughton has achieved as a manager.

hughton wouldn't have assembled this squad tho', so a redundant premise

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

It's a valid point. I don't think Hughton (or Potter for that matter) massively influence the talent identification process although clearly they have a significant impact of "okaying" signings. I do think that our signings are bought in because they match a notion on the style of play Bloom and Ashworth want to see. I don't think the signings made for Hughton to change that style worked at all (obvious successes in Gross, Ryan, Bissouma, Propper) but those to change the DNA of the side failed. Murray as a striker completely suited the Hughton system, but I don't think we were ever looking to replace him like-for-like. Locadia, Andone Ali J were smaller "front three" style players - Not hold up players with an eye for goal (specially the eye for goal part!).

Ashworth has signed players for a manager like Potter, not for Potter himself. If we lose him to another club, the next manager will be hired to suit the squad.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Apologies Hamilton for misrepresenting your post, but the inclination of your post #607, was that our PL performances were similar to our championship ones which simply is not the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can see why you would have thought that. I'm also delighted that we've clarified that I did not mean dull.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
That last couple of months under Hughton was some of the worst football I’ve ever witnessed, literally park bus and try not to concede with nothing at the top end.

We only survived due to the 3 worse teams and in most other seasons we wouldn’t have. He is tactically limited and locked in an outdated mindset as the game has moved on.

That's the whole point isn't it ? To make sure there are 3 worse teams than you !

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Heavy one 4-0 loss, 0 shots on target

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Wolves fielded a pretty strong team and Nottingham didnt, no real shame in the result though its not really going to help him.

However, this smells a bit like impending death:

[tweet]1430265567362027525[/tweet]

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Fans calling for his head big time last night, can't see Chris surviving now. Such a shame

I dont see it either. Even if they would win against Derby, it wont work out in the well.

I think the best thing for CH would be to just walk instead of waiting for the sack.

Someone who achieved what he has achieved wont go without a job for long but being stubborn in a club where neither players or fans seem to believe in him, its just causing damage. Better to move on and start over.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It's a valid point. I don't think Hughton (or Potter for that matter) massively influence the talent identification process although clearly they have a significant impact of "okaying" signings. I do think that our signings are bought in because they match a notion on the style of play Bloom and Ashworth want to see. I don't think the signings made for Hughton to change that style worked at all (obvious successes in Gross, Ryan, Bissouma, Propper) but those to change the DNA of the side failed. Murray as a striker completely suited the Hughton system, but I don't think we were ever looking to replace him like-for-like. Locadia, Andone Ali J were smaller "front three" style players - Not hold up players with an eye for goal (specially the eye for goal part!).

Ashworth has signed players for a manager like Potter, not for Potter himself. If we lose him to another club, the next manager will be hired to suit the squad.
Webster was requested by GP, Nunez also which explains the persistence.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I can’t see CH getting another job with a ‘highish’ profile’ club, if he gets the sack from Forest.
Sadly, I think he’s had his day and should retire gracefully and enjoy the rest of his life.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Wolves fielded a pretty strong team and Nottingham didnt, no real shame in the result though its not really going to help him.

He did this a lot with us. When you think of the bigger picture it's fine, they're not going to win it so not point in risking injury to your main players, but...................

..........when you play full price for a ticket and watch a team that's got literally no hope of winning it is pretty irritating.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
He did this a lot with us. When you think of the bigger picture it's fine, they're not going to win it so not point in risking injury to your main players, but...................

..........when you play full price for a ticket and watch a team that's got literally no hope of winning it is pretty irritating.

Sure but it was pretty much the case anyhow. Some people think their youngsters didnt do well yesterday, but hey... you should see their first team.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I can’t see CH getting another job with a ‘highish’ profile’ club, if he gets the sack from Forest.
Sadly, I think he’s had his day and should retire gracefully and enjoy the rest of his life.

Totally agree, and I said at the time he should have retired then and not taken the Forest job.

I don't buy he was offered better jobs, if he was then logic says he takes one of them. I'll be told I'm wrong by some itk.

Regardless, nothing else will come his way now so retiring from management is the dignified way out

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Totally agree, and I said at the time he should have retired then and not taken the Forest job.

I don't buy he was offered better jobs, if he was then logic says he takes one of them. I'll be told I'm wrong by some itk.

Regardless, nothing else will come his way now so retiring from management is the dignified way out

Why should he have retired? I hear that a lot about both managers and players. But if you love the manager job or if you love to play football... why retire?

I've always felt the "should quit at the top" thing is silly. As long as something is fun you should do it as long as you can even if you are "past your peak".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here