Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Choosing what makes a good pub

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
-Old fashioned intimate feel to it with a roaring log fire in winter.

-A cheerful, friendly landlord/landlady and barmaids.

-Real ale that's kept well although i always play it safe on football days with Guinness Extra cold for not too many bowel movements.

-Good music that's at just the right volume.

-Generous fruit machine.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
- range of beer. even though i dont drink it, i like to see ales as it means they probably know how to look after beer properly.
- attitude of bar staff and ability to track who got to the bar first. surprising how some pubs can fail here even when theres only 2-3 people at the bar.
- decor, comfortable and clean not too sterile though, it is a pub after all.
- food, should be good value not, necessarily brilliant but fair price for what you get.
- other patrons, banter and noise is good, but dont want attitude.

interestingly, this means some Wetherspoons aren't too bad as they usally score well in all areas.

Last edited:

luke17

Oct 9, 2003
That is one thing that stops me going into a pub especially if it sells food or the dog is a large dog that everybody has to walk around laid across the bar and then you get told ' oh he is ok he is friendly' but you dont know that. In fact I think that dogs other than guide dogs should be banned.

Made me laugh that mate i know where your coming from tho, nothing better than going on a hike across the moors on a sunday bit parky with the weather and crisp under foot then walking into a pub in the middle of nowhere and being told sorry no dogs allowed :rant:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Made me laugh that mate i know where your coming from tho, nothing better than going on a hike across the moors on a sunday bit parky with the weather and crisp under foot then walking into a pub in the middle of nowhere and being told sorry no dogs allowed :rant:

Horses for courses. In that scenario a pub in the country I would possibly agree but I can see no justification for taking a dog into a town or city centre pub.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Horses for courses. In that scenario a pub in the country I would possibly agree but I can see no justification for taking a dog into a town or city centre pub.

Well maybe people like to take their dog for a walk and on the way back stop of in the pub for a swift half of shandy.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Well maybe people like to take their dog for a walk and on the way back stop of in the pub for a swift half of shandy.

If those other smelly things in pubs.......smokers can be made to stay outside why cant dogs be tied up like they would if you were going into a butchers or supermarket.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here