Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chips - how often do you eat them

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Usually about every other week. There's a very good Fish and Chip shop in East Grinstead, where the bloke travels up to Billingsgate at 4.00 am every day. Also been to Bardsley's a couple of times, superb. Goring Gull, I think you will find they fry fish and chips in beef dripping in Yorkshire; they don't think it's real fish and chips otherwise. Mind you, I wouldn't know how often they change the dripping in your dodgy back street chippy.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Not a big fan of any sort of 'take-away' chips (too greasy, salty and french fries are just a wast of time!), but McCain's Home Fries are the best, especially the chunky ones!

E

enigma

Race said:
Not a big fan of any sort of 'take-away' chips (too greasy, salty and french fries are just a wast of time!), but McCain's Home Fries are the best, especially the chunky ones!

Yeah take away ones are not good. The home fires are quite nice but I love the McCain french fries.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
we have fish and chips about once a month or so, sometimes we do our own, sometimes from the chip shop.

we have some organic oven chips from Tesco which are pretty nice, ir we do our own and bake them with a little olive oil

roast spuds are far better IMHO

About once a fortnight from the excellent Cypriot chippy in South Street, Lewes.

Every time I go there, I get a happy memory of the day that Bellotti was elected MP for Eastbourne. He lived in Lewes at the time and celebrated by going down to the South Street chip shop, where the local policeman immediately booked him for parking on the double yellows.

It restored my faith in the British justice system.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I always uszed to go the chippy in Fisher street when i lived in Lewes, used to be a good escuse to pop in the Lamb for a pint then maybe the Elephant when walking back with them :)

However used to like the Dorset if popped down to south street then ahost of possibilities walking back up through town, so many in fact i never got to eat the chips.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Goring Gull said:
Not had chip shop chips for months, all the chippies up here are sh1te, god knows what they cook them in, as for the one in town.. Tribells oh my god you can taste the chip grease the next morning, all at work avoid it like the plague and they are all chip scoffing notherners apart from the chap from Bristol who sides with me on the chippes up here being cr@p.

Yet you travel to Scarborough or Whitby and they are gorgeous.

Tribells near the Lion Building are good unless they've changed hands

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Goring Gull said:
It changed hands a while back - it's not good at all.

:(

West Hoathly is right about beef dripping.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I remeber as a kid my insisted on making then in a chip pan - sometimes great but alot of the time they were horrible always used to envy the kids who had oven chips.

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks
Very often, though it's normally oven chips

Though can't beat the chips available at Timleys, Burgess Hill. It's also a Chinese takeaway so it's even more great

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'll post it anyway - if you get a waxy potato like a Cyprus they make very good chips in the oven.

Only seems to work well with something waxy.

Get the oven very hot with an oven tray heating up in there. ( Pour a tiny bit of oil onto the tray with kitchen paper before putting it into the oven )

Cut the potatoes into chips are dry them very, very thoroughly with kitchen paper. This is a crucial stage, they need to be absolutely bone dry.

Put the chips in a dry bowl and pour no more than a teaspoon or two of olive oil onto the chips - and turn them over with your hands until they are all covered.

Quickly take the hot tray out of the oven - wack the chips on - then straight back in.

The chips will cook very quickly - and you'll probably need to turn the oven down slightly as they begin to catch.

Take out of the oven - then sprinkle with sea salt ans serve.

TIP - Roast some whole garlic in the oven with the chips (you will to take it out before the chips) and add this some mayonaise.

Garlic mayo is nice, but roast garlic mayo is amazing.

I know this looks like a recipe for roast potatoes - but it honestly works.

Last edited:

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
London Calling said:
Chips our great British tradition. Around 'ere in Hackney it was impossible to find a chip shop, let alone a decent one.
But from out of no-where, two great chippies have arrived. Bags of chips enough to feed any family, great taste, texture and a large bag for a price of a chemical burger from Mc Donalds.

Chips are now apart again of my diet and roll on tonight.:clap2:

LC

Nice one LC, enjoy em. Theres a chippie across the road from us and its quality.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Savoury wedges for me or I make my own. Don't forget to fry them twice. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here