Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chippy - balls deep.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Just thinking about a comment I made yesterday and seeing that a few people were saying Hammond looked better when he was freed up to roam is there a case for Chippy adapting his game.

Chippy has been used to taking the offensive lead in midfield having played next to Oatway for a good portion of his Albion career. This I think has lead to problems with him and Hammond as Hammond feels he has to cover Chippy a bit and Chippy is looking to dictate play (which he can't really do anymore) meaning their roles aren't totally clear and the partnership falls down.

I personally think Chippy needs to adapt and play in the deep midfield role and stick to it, winning the ball and looking for the simple lay off. This would free Hammond up and we could utalise Chippy more effectively given his age and experience and Hammond could play his natural game. Just a thought like.

scooter1

How soon is now?
I know Chippy is a favourite of the fans and all that, but the games i've seen him play in, he's been off the pace and his passing has not been great. Its a vicious circle of getting fully fit and up to match pace without the games, but until he is I think there are better players.
Just a real shame we lost Reid for the season....

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Chippy as a defensive midfielder would be an asset. Hes got a wicked tackle (oooer) and on his day he delivers a great dead ball, so there is a case for him being in the side...

Cue the great one saying thats what he has been doing already because in this game and that game :bla: :bla: :bla:

Last edited:

Captain Pugwash

Paul Kitson
Oct 27, 2003
brighton
chippy has been poor all season and last, i sadly think he is past it although i would love him to prove me wrong.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
scooter1 said:
I know Chippy is a favourite of the fans and all that, but the games i've seen him play in, he's been off the pace and his passing has not been great. Its a vicious circle of getting fully fit and up to match pace without the games, but until he is I think there are better players.
Just a real shame we lost Reid for the season....

Thats the thing though at his age, like a lot of players, he may not get back to match pace playing his natural game. I personally think he needs to adapt his game, for the good of the team and his career.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
Chippy as a defensive midfielder would be an asset. Hes got a wicked tackle (oooer) and on his day he delivers a great dead ball, so there is a case for him being in the side...

I think you right its just he and/or the management team don't see him as playing that role out right because he has usually been played in a more offensive role. However I think he just needs to hold in that position as he is intelligent enough of a player to adapt to it in a few games. As you say he has the tackle for it :)blush: ) and he can concentrate on his dead ball delivery more.

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Which is probably why there is now a case for Oatway and Chippy not being in the same side anymore?

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
Which is probably why there is now a case for Oatway and Chippy not being in the same side anymore?

I would say so. I think you have to stick with Hammond and have someone who is gonna just sit in.

face in the crowd

Jan 20, 2006
Good thread Les. The biggest problem that I think Chippy has to overcome is his tendency to go and pressuries the player in possession near the halfway line instead of sitting in front of the back four and pressurising the forwards thus helping out the back four.

I noticed this at the end of last season. When we got the ball to the front men, they were quickly closed down by the centre half AND the holding midfield player. When we where defending, there would be a 15-20 yard gap between the defense and midfield. This gave quality players time on the ball to hurt is in the final third.

The same problem has been troubling us this season. The lack of this true holding midfield player makes it very difficult to play 4-3-3. Carpenter and Oatway are the most obvious candidates for the role but are pretty ingrained into playing the Adams way (pressurise the ball and get it forward quickly). I would be intrigued to see Chris Breach given a shot at this role in the Reserves (if he ever gets fit). I saw him play there for the youth team and he barely gave the ball away.

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Les Biehn said:
I would say so. I think you have to stick with Hammond and have someone who is gonna just sit in.

Yes agreed. I mean I know Hammond has missed a few sitters in the past...but at least he gets into those positions.

With a bit of practice he will score loads more...starting with last nite.

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
Basil Fawlty said:
I don't we need Chippy anymore, he has totally past his sell by date. I thought El-Abd had a good game in the centre midfield yesterday, maybe he can be Mr Versatile?

Spot on Basil. also thought El-Abd was good as holding midfielder. he certainly put himself about and also it freed up Hammond to get forward. I know Boston were pretty poor, but fair to say we looked good in midfield.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
face in the crowd said:
Good thread Les. The biggest problem that I think Chippy has to overcome is his tendency to go and pressuries the player in possession near the halfway line instead of sitting in front of the back four and pressurising the forwards thus helping out the back four.

I noticed this at the end of last season. When we got the ball to the front men, they were quickly closed down by the centre half AND the holding midfield player. When we where defending, there would be a 15-20 yard gap between the defense and midfield. This gave quality players time on the ball to hurt is in the final third.

The same problem has been troubling us this season. The lack of this true holding midfield player makes it very difficult to play 4-3-3. Carpenter and Oatway are the most obvious candidates for the role but are pretty ingrained into playing the Adams way (pressurise the ball and get it forward quickly). I would be intrigued to see Chris Breach given a shot at this role in the Reserves (if he ever gets fit). I saw him play there for the youth team and he barely gave the ball away.

Totally agree with all of that. Interesting point about Breach as well, would be intrigued to see how he gets on in that role as I believe he started in that position when he was in the youth team.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Basil Fawlty said:
I thought El-Abd had a good game in the centre midfield yesterday, maybe he can be Mr Versatile?

He had an OKAY game against poor opposition, but committed way too many fouls, his first touch is poor and he has limited composure on the ball.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here