Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chip and PIN is dead ?

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
To be honest it's just another excuse to tell your bank to f*** off when they tell you you're overdrawn

"nah mate, wasn't me, flaws in the card system isn't it... You'll have to take the hit cause I'm not paying"

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
chip and pin is a scam in the first place, to shift liability from the banks to the retailers. you can copy the magnetic strip, flag the cloned card as non-chip and pin and you have a working card you have to just sign for. the handsets are vulnerable to attack to intercept data, or you can provide a shop with a dummy one to simply capture PIN input for cloning.

the upside is you dont need to be mugged anymore, crimnials just clone the cards and get the account details of the internet where batches have been leaked, hacked or collected by other methods.

windowlicker

Aug 22, 2009
chip and pin is a scam in the first place, to shift liability from the banks to the retailers. you can copy the magnetic strip, flag the cloned card as non-chip and pin and you have a working card you have to just sign for. the handsets are vulnerable to attack to intercept data, or you can provide a shop with a dummy one to simply capture PIN input for cloning.

the upside is you dont need to be mugged anymore, crimnials just clone the cards and get the account details of the internet where batches have been leaked, hacked or collected by other methods.

You seem to know rather a lot...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

... said beorhthelm logging in from his yacht off the Maldives. :)

hillbilly

In the hill, not over it!
Sep 1, 2008
Burgess Hill
I don't know a lot about this subject, and it maybe over cautious, but I never use my debit card except at an ATM. I understand you have a 'greater' deal of cover using a credit card at point of sale terminals, in case it is cloned etc, so I just use my credit card and pay it off every month.

windowlicker

Aug 22, 2009

windowlicker

Aug 22, 2009

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
İbrahim Tatlıses;3348875 said:
The next decade will see the banks phase in biometrics - fingerprints and eventually iris scans.

Is chip & pin dead? No, but it's dying. It's a flawed system but let's not forget it revolutionised the way we spend our money.

Spot on, bar the flawed system bit, this team and reporter keep coming up with these scams and making a news story from it. When you look at them closer they are more difficult to do than suggested and a technical knowledge is required.

In my expereince working with chip and pin the criminals always go for much easier options, but if and when this sort of technolgy becomes common place like mag stripe readers as mentioned here the chip system has plenty of room for expansion.

Already some places have stated using these new cards to prevent on line fraud and stop cards being data being attacked, but as in life its all about cost and not making it such a pain for joe public to life life without complex security measures.

[yt]YX08fdvFwaM[/yt]

[yt]dT6JSU123Lo[/yt]

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Chip & PIN is dead

Terrible news, a sad day for the rodent community :(

chip-n-dale-1_640-300x300.jpg

RIP :cry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here