Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Chinook Over Portslade Just Now

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Just a few years before "Foo" then - may know of him if he stayed in the forces though. My bro in law moved on to Benson for a few years, then settled down at Yeovilton in a desk job before retiring.

It was my Dad's last posting; he retired in c'93 and died in 2015. He was known as "WONG" though - he was a WO and the initials of his first and middle names were N and G. Your B-i-L may just possibly have heard of that nickname, but it seems unlikely since they didn't serve together (at least, not at Odiham). Unfortunately, I'm not able to check whether my Dad knew of a "Foo" now.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
See and hear them a fair bit this side of the Downs, always seems to perk some interest in the household.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It flew right over our house in BN13 a little earlier. I heard it long before I saw it!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
They thwackthwack along the north sides of the Downs every two or three weeks - last week I reckon I was actually above one as I stood on Wolstonbury Hill.

Must have been quite a moment actually standing above it! We seem them quite often in our village, often in the mornings you see one or two heading east, with probably the same ones returning west in the evenings. It seems we are on the flightpath from their base at RAF Odiham, and a maintenace facility at Biggin Hill. So l am told anyway.

These really are strange times when it comes to aviation. Whoever heard of light single seater aircraft using the main runways at Heathrow before? Quite a regular occurance at the moment.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
A good friend of mine was an Albion youth team player before a broken leg put paid to that. So after a brief stint at being a PE teacher he joined the RAF. 25 years later he's flown Chinooks operationally and currently he is Flight Commander of the Chinook OEU and
develops and runs the Qualified Helicopter Tactics Instructors Course, providing Defence with the Tactics SMEs and Instructors of the future.

Top Gun for real, top fella and accordingly when he passed out a few of us did get a pretty close up view of a Chinook and it's mighty impressive too.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
A good friend of mine was an Albion youth team player before a broken leg put paid to that. So after a brief stint at being a PE teacher he joined the RAF. 25 years later he's flown Chinooks operationally and currently he is Flight Commander of the Chinook OEU and
develops and runs the Qualified Helicopter Tactics Instructors Course, providing Defence with the Tactics SMEs and Instructors of the future.

Top Gun for real, top fella and accordingly when he passed out a few of us did get a pretty close up view of a Chinook and it's mighty impressive too.

Is he from Portslade? surname Carter?

In think it's great we are seeing more activity from the RAF, particularly at the moment. It makes us feel safe and it's no doubt, along with the lack of air traffic, a way of them to say that during this tough time, they are still there for us, by flying all over the UK.

It's brilliant they are using the free'd up airspace for exercises and training.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach

Thats the sort of area my B.i.L went into before retiring a couple of years ago....they've probably crossed paths over the years!

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
6-7 years ago a Chinook used to go over Woodingdean and down into Whitehawk probably every other week and some time weekly...

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

I take it that he is at RAF Benson ... A Wing Commander?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here