Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chinatown London

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
As others have said China Town is just a dreadful tourist trap which is only really acceptable after several pints of strong beer.

I'd wander up Shaftsbury Avenue towards Holborn to http://www.shanghaiblues.co.uk/

Failing that sack the Chinese idea off and have a steak in the Hippodrome.....it's surprisingly good grub in there and reasonably priced!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am not set on Chinese just looking at the various options in that general area as I used to go there a lot in the late 80s but not much since then and obviously places I knew have shut down and others opened. We are going to the Picccadilly Theatre so anywhere in that general area, not really fussed about what food it is as we are both very open minded and like most food. Steak, Oriental,Italian, French even standard English.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Whenever we're up there, we always use The Friendly Inn. Possibly one of the most inappropriately named restaurants in the UK :lolol: Not sure nowadays as we've not been for a while, but it was run by a very old chinese lady for whom manners and politeness were alien concepts.

My favourite line of hers when we up there a few years back, a bunch of American tourists came in, sat down and started reading the menu. The waitress came to take their order and one of them asked if they did cocktails. Like a flash, the old lady was up off her chair shouting at them, "you want cocktails, you go ****ing cocktail bar"

The food however, is superb. Just DO NOT ask for a fork!

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
I am not set on Chinese just looking at the various options in that general area as I used to go there a lot in the late 80s but not much since then and obviously places I knew have shut down and others opened. We are going to the Picccadilly Theatre so anywhere in that general area, not really fussed about what food it is as we are both very open minded and like most food. Steak, Oriental,Italian, French even standard English.

You're only about a 5 minute walk from one of the best BBQ places in the country - the Jay Rayner recommended Pitt Cue Co. Myself and [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] have both eaten there and really enjoyed the food. It is very small and doesn't take reservations but if you like BBQ food it is a great place to visit (the bone marrow mash is a great side dish as are the braised sprout tops).

If you want somewhere that is generally reliable, there is a Bills just around the corner on Brewer Street (the same as the ones in Lewes, Brighton and Horsham). Depending on your party, that might be somewhere worth considering as there is a decent range of food on the menu and it is reasonably priced assuming that they haven't grossly increased prices for the London location).

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Whenever we're up there, we always use The Friendly Inn. Possibly one of the most inappropriately named restaurants in the UK :lolol: Not sure nowadays as we've not been for a while, but it was run by a very old chinese lady for whom manners and politeness were alien concepts.

My favourite line of hers when we up there a few years back, a bunch of American tourists came in, sat down and started reading the menu. The waitress came to take their order and one of them asked if they did cocktails. Like a flash, the old lady was up off her chair shouting at them, "you want cocktails, you go ****ing cocktail bar"

The food however, is superb. Just DO NOT ask for a fork!

Ive been a few times and I always ask for a fork but I agree with you its quite reasonable.

A lot of them have changed since I last visited a couple of months ago, Liked Loon tao(?), crispy duck and china china was Ok.

From what I saw the golden Pagoda has good food at an Ok Price, avoid Mr wu's unless you want food poisoning.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Does anyone go to there without being utterly blind drunk

I was chased out of one restaurant in my student days by a number of chefs, one with a knife. I was very drunk and with a big group of mates; the place had an open kitchen. Whilst leaving I helped myself to some food which appeared at the open kitchen we walked past. A huge argument ensued which resulted in us having to scarper and we were chased outside by the kitchen guys.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You're only about a 5 minute walk from one of the best BBQ places in the country - the Jay Rayner recommended Pitt Cue Co. Myself and [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] have both eaten there and really enjoyed the food. It is very small and doesn't take reservations but if you like BBQ food it is a great place to visit (the bone marrow mash is a great side dish as are the braised sprout tops).

If you want somewhere that is generally reliable, there is a Bills just around the corner on Brewer Street (the same as the ones in Lewes, Brighton and Horsham). Depending on your party, that might be somewhere worth considering as there is a decent range of food on the menu and it is reasonably priced assuming that they haven't grossly increased prices for the London location).

This. Pitt Cue is fantastically good. This was first recommended by Jay Raynor and then by TheDonkeyCentreHalf. If these two both recommend a place then I go.

Arrive 5-10 mins before it opens as queues can develop due to their non-reservation policy. And bone-marrow mash is as good as anything you'll eat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here