Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] China protests over Zero-Covid policy

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
As they've said themselves: the western definition of human rights is not something they care about. Their choice. Would I want to live there? No. Has their ways worked out for them and the majority of the Chinese people? No doubt.

We talk a lot about human rights in the west, but once again we have very little interest in whether these "human rights" are applied or not. You talk about human rights. I talk about human rights. Our politicians talk about human rights.

But when it comes to action? Do we choose to build affordable housing for every people in our countries or do we prefer to be all cozy with the property owners and construction companies? The latter. We prefer to let people live on the streets above possible decreasing housing prices, because the billionaires would get all sad and shit if that happened. Do we choose to tax the rich and pay the worst paid people enough to get both heat and food on the table every day? We don't. We choose not to tax the rich. We decide to make people suffer from hunger and cold. Do we choose to invest sufficient money in social services, health care and free education or do we choose to invest "sufficient" money in giving the friends, family and neighbours of our politicians fat government contracts? We certainly do not choose the former.
We're very good at talking. There is nothing in our actions as a society that indicates we give two shits about peoples wellbeing. Its just words.

As Peter O’hanraha-hanrahan would say, I don’t like it, but I’ll have to go along with it.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
So do I.

To me getting some 500 million out of poverty is worth more than having the free speech to say "we need to reduce poverty" with no one listening or doing anything. In pretty much every Western world, since the latest wave of the richer getting richer started in our neo-liberal new management societies in the 1980s, most people have said "those who earn the least should maybe earn some more and the richest percentage should perhaps pay taxes". Left wing, "centrist", right-wing parties have all shrugged and said no. Is a vote that doesn't matter any better than not having a vote at all? Is a false sense of democracy better than no democracy at all? As I see it - the difference is very small.

You're a 50+ year old who can't stop yourself from personal attacks. Perhaps the "grow up" stuff is something you should try yourself first before suggesting it to others :shrug:
You’re a fraud who is far too old to be this stupid. Go and do something for other people instead of sitting in your bedroom, smoking weed and telling everyone else where they are going wrong. Do something useful. Give back.
Get a life. Live it.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yeah I remember you guys electing Rishi and Liz... or not.

But you're right. China and the West have two different systems and their system is working and our isn't, because their system is based on a practical, dirty reality whilst ours are based on illusory, utopian hopes. In China, people know their voices don't count. In the West we pretend that ours do. Going to vote in an election in Europe or US is no more efficient or impactful than going to church to have a prayer, but we'd like to pretend otherwise. In China there is no pretending like that, so they're better adjusted to reality, which also makes them better at accomplishing things ("good" and " bad").
So the future George Orwell wrote about in 1984 was a good thing? Don't think so - and I don't think you'd like living in China, with the likelihood of disappearing if you're deemed to be a bit weird and not toeing the party line.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
The real test of any democracy is how easy it is to remove a ruling party from power not how easy it is to elect one.

All lions living in a zoo could well be better fed and watered compared to lions living in the wild - but they’re still living in a zoo and have no power to change the zookeeper if he decides to withhold food or medical supplies or even worse because he doesn’t like the way the lions roar.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
As they've said themselves: the western definition of human rights is not something they care about. Their choice. Would I want to live there? No. Has their ways worked out for them and the majority of the Chinese people? No doubt.

We talk a lot about human rights in the west, but once again we have very little interest in whether these "human rights" are applied or not. You talk about human rights. I talk about human rights. Our politicians talk about human rights.

But when it comes to action? Do we choose to build affordable housing for every people in our countries or do we prefer to be all cozy with the property owners and construction companies? The latter. We prefer to let people live on the streets above possible decreasing housing prices, because the billionaires would get all sad and shit if that happened. Do we choose to tax the rich and pay the worst paid people enough to get both heat and food on the table every day? We don't. We choose not to tax the rich. We decide to make people suffer from hunger and cold. Do we choose to invest sufficient money in social services, health care and free education or do we choose to invest "sufficient" money in giving the friends, family and neighbours of our politicians fat government contracts? We certainly do not choose the former.
We're very good at talking. There is nothing in our actions as a society that indicates we give two shits about peoples wellbeing. Its just words.
Re your last sentence “There is nothing in our actions as a society that indicates we give two shits about peoples wellbeing. Its just words”.

Why don’t you come out with me on patrol on a Friday and Saturday night in Brighton and I’ll take you to see the guys at Safe Space, the outreach workers, my team who help vulnerable people, the fire-fighters, the volunteers from the Coast Guard, the ambulance paramedics, the police officers, the Street Pastors, the medics, the MSU’s.

24 hrs a day, 7 days a week. Non f***ing stop.

You can tell them to their faces that “there is nothing in our actions as a society that indicates we give two shits about people’s well-being. It’s just words”

You ignorant child.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Governed? your having a laugh.

Regards elections they only work when you have an educated electorate and honest politicians who deliver for the whole population not the first past the post majority . We have had series reductions in standard of living for a large minority of the population yet we have maintained a conservative government for 12 years.

It is telling that when Russia was on the cusp of democracy , the free market took over and the wealth was syphoned off leaving people poorer and the middle aged and older generations voted to return to control of the communist party - stability but at the cost of freedom.

If I were a Chinese peasant who has moved from brink of starvation to a sustainable life style I am pretty sure I know who I would vote for.
If I were a Chinese peasant I know who I'd vote for too! Never mind a sustainable life style - I'd be settling for sustained life!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
So the future George Orwell wrote about in 1984 was a good thing? Don't think so - and I don't think you'd like living in China, with the likelihood of disappearing if you're deemed to be a bit weird and not toeing the party line.
He has no understanding of China.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
You’re a fraud who is far too old to be this stupid. Go and do something for other people instead of sitting in your bedroom, smoking weed and telling everyone else where they are going wrong. Do something useful. Give back.
Get a life. Live it.
I don't have any intentions taking advice from some overage bloke doing night shifts at McDonalds before returning home to his empty apartment and going online to pretend being some kind of superstar social worker. You may of course try to keep giving the advice anyway, but I'm telling you it is a waste of time.

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Re your last sentence;

Why don’t you come out with me on patrol on a Friday and Saturday night in Brighton and I’ll take you to see the guys at Safe Space, the outreach workers, my team who help vulnerable people, the fire-fighters, the volunteers from the Coast Guard, the ambulance paramedics, the police officers, the Street Pastors, the medics, the MSU’s.

You can tell them to their faces that “there is nothing in our actions as a society that indicates we give two shits about people’s well-being. It’s just words”

You ignorant child.
But the thing is, you’re not (with respect) in a position of power or policy setting. The people you describe, who absolutely deserve our respect, are mitigating our utter inaction at a societal level.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I don't have any intentions taking advice from some overage bloke doing night shifts at McDonalds before returning home to his empty apartment and going online to pretend being some kind of superstar social worker. You may of course try to keep giving the advice anyway, but I'm telling you it is a waste of time.
If you’re going to do personal insults, it’s better to get your facts right. But when has that ever bothered you? You’re pond-life.

I’m an idiot for being drawn into your troll-sphere. I’ll leave you to it. You’re too f***ing weird to engage with.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Beggars believe how some people take their freedom for granted. Wonder how many Westerners go to live in China and give up the Citizenship of their own country, Answer - Very few

And in the opposite direction?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Re your last sentence “There is nothing in our actions as a society that indicates we give two shits about peoples wellbeing. Its just words”.

You ignorant child.
Um yeah you're not going on any patrols No one would give you a job dealing with people other than making their Big Macs.

Mind you, I agree there are people in our societies that do their best to help, but our societies as a whole doesn't give a shit. Every time you go vote for one of the big parties that have allowed the rich to get richer while the poor get poorer, you're showing you only care about the lies, not about the people.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Beggars believe how some people take their freedom for granted. Wonder how many Westerners go to live in China and give up the Citizenship of their own country, Answer - Very few

And in the opposite direction?
I have a brother who has lived in China for twenty years. He wouldn’t give up his British citizenship. Personally I wouldn’t live in China for all the tea.. well, you know what I mean.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Its not a good or a bad thing, it is just the reality we all live in and are going to live in. In the West we think our society is not perfect but we at least we have it better than the Chinese etc. In China, they think their society is not perfect but at least they have it better than Westerners etc. Ignorance is strength so we get our strength to go on from pretending shit with no basis in reality. Goes for us, goes for them, goes for every modern country and region. We're all f***ed over, constantly, and ignoring it is how we keep running in a certain direction.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
If you’re going to do personal insults, it’s better to get your facts right. But when has that ever bothered you? You’re pond-life.

I’m an idiot for being drawn into your troll-sphere. I’ll leave you to it. You’re too f***ing weird to engage with.
I'm just as factual in my personal insults as you are.

I agree with the first three words of your second sentence however. Spot on. Tattoo it.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Its not a good or a bad thing, it is just the reality we all live in and are going to live in. In the West we think our society is not perfect but we at least we have it better than the Chinese etc. In China, they think their society is not perfect but at least they have it better than Westerners etc. Ignorance is strength so we get our strength to go on from pretending shit with no basis in reality. Goes for us, goes for them, goes for every modern country and region. We're all f***ed over, constantly, and ignoring it is how we keep running in a certain direction.
Except that fortunately, in the real world, Orwell's predictions didn't come true. Britain has not moved into the world of 1984 - in fact it is more libertarian than it has ever been. China, on the other hand ...............

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here