Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chilli hiccups ?

16 bit 44.1

May 17, 2011
Hove
Yeap me too... but only for a couple of minutes - then my body adjusts and I am free to push on through!

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
That's not my overriding symptom when I eat lots of chilli...

The only time I seem to get hiccups these days is on the rare occasions I go to Burger King or similar. These are also the only times I ever drink fizzy pop through a straw, which probably explains it.

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
Sometimes, when we chew on a pungent spice, like, for instance, black pepper or green chillies, chemicals like cryptocapsin, capsorubin diester, violaxanthin, capsacin, capsicidin and capsicosin are released in the mouth in the form of fine sprays, along with other vitamins. These substances, which cause a burning sensation in the mouth and food pipe, enter the lungs and disrupt the normal rhythm of the diaphragm. The diaphragm then begins to contract and relax faster in order to expel the pungent air out of the lungs. While doing so, an abnormal hiccup is generated to maintain the homeostasis of the body. This can be checked by drinking water

kip

Aug 2, 2011
I can eat hot chillies without getting hic ups but if I,ve had a few lagers as well then they start

Great way to stop them though is to squeeze lemon down the back of your throat

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Sometimes, when we chew on a pungent spice, like, for instance, black pepper or green chillies, chemicals like cryptocapsin, capsorubin diester, violaxanthin, capsacin, capsicidin and capsicosin are released in the mouth in the form of fine sprays, along with other vitamins. These substances, which cause a burning sensation in the mouth and food pipe, enter the lungs and disrupt the normal rhythm of the diaphragm. The diaphragm then begins to contract and relax faster in order to expel the pungent air out of the lungs. While doing so, an abnormal hiccup is generated to maintain the homeostasis of the body. This can be checked by drinking water

Thank you, Muppet Labs

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here