Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Children in Need

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
It's that time of the year again where we all go and do crazy things for this magnificent cause.

A great night of entertainment awaits tomorrow evening, but what are you doing for the day tomorrow?

???

We have created a cookery book full of weird and wonderful dishes and some of us are doing a sponsered silence tomorrow.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
at school they are attempting a world record for the Guiness Book of Records.

Woooohooo

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
If there's one thing, more than any other, that makes you realise how quickly your life is speeding past its Children In Need - the bloody thing seems to come round with incredible and mystifying regularity.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I always know it's nearly my birthday when Children in need comes around :)

The usual "funny" people at work no doubt tommorrow - I'm happy to give them £5 to not have to get involved.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Someone at work is shaving his head and beard off.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
It's that time of the year again where we all go and do crazy things for this magnificent cause.

And therein lies many people's problem with Children in Need; it's no greater or lesser a 'magnificent' cause than many of the other thousands of causes, it just gets a hell of a lot more exposure and money thrown at it than any of the others. As for great entertainment, that really is a matter of taste.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I wasn't planning on going out tomorrow night but all of a sudden my plans have changed. I can just about handle Comic Relief but Children in Need is unbearable TV, thankfully our office don't get involved with any of that "dressing up for the children" nonsense.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
:nono:

What a load of old crankies. Even the most miserable people in our office still get involved in the fun and games. There are still a few though that won't give 'because some of the money goes to Africa'.

:facepalm:

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore

What a load of old crankies. Even the most miserable people in our office still get involved in the fun and games. There are still a few though that won't give 'because some of the money goes to Africa'.

I think you've missed the point there somewhat. Also I'd imagine a lot of people 'get involved' for fear of being frowned upon if they don't, which again is part of the reason some people have become turned-off by CIN. As for the other people you mention, well, where do you start?

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

It's a matter of taste though, there are so many charities and projects that are equally deserving. It is hard to get worked up about every fundraising venture. Personally, the only charity I donate to is REMF. That is because I feel more involved with it, know some of the people involved and am more confident of where the money is going. Not being interested in Children in Need doesn't make someone a cranky, they might just have other charitable interests.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
It's a matter of taste though, there are so many charities and projects that are equally deserving. It is hard to get worked up about every fundraising venture. Personally, the only charity I donate to is REMF. That is because I feel more involved with it, know some of the people involved and am more confident of where the money is going. Not being interested in Children in Need doesn't make someone a cranky, they might just have other charitable interests.

Indeed - I choose the charities I give to, which historically has been mainly cancer ones, plus Oxfam and REMF.

Whatever the casue, there is no excuse for the absolute drivel dished up all over BBC1 for the evening - but then I could say that about BBC1 most evenings.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

I only support the multiple sclerosis society as my mrs suffers with ms, and I am not cranky either. Personally I find children in need quite a good watch and a laugh tbh, bit we aren't "doing anything" for it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here