Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Child Tax Credit

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I got asked to repay £200 last year, I disagreed with their assessment so ignored it completely and they continue to pay me and haven't asked for it once. This has happened to many more people I know - if you contact them and appeal, they will keep hounding you, if you completely ignore, they don't bother

:shrug:

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
I let them know of a change in salary about 5 months ago, and they only just changed my monthly payment this month. I got a letter about 2/3 weeks after letting them know detailing the change and telling me the payment won't change, then 2 months later they send another letter saying my payments are reducing considerably. Half the time I feel like they literally have no idea what they're doing.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Unfortunately, their mistake or not, that's the reason you will eventually have to pay it back.
The annoying thing is any serial benefit scrounger would see the overpayment being written off because they know how to play the system.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Having been out for a walk look at this another way:

I pay over £10K a year in tax and NI, on top of that contribute 12% into a pension and have private health care. Therefore I contribute a lot more than I take out.

If you can afford 12% going into a pension AND private health care plus 2 season tickets at The Amex you should not get £115 a month in benefits.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If you can afford 12% going into a pension AND private health care plus 2 season tickets at The Amex you should not get £115 a month in benefits.

OK so you write the laws in the country do you ?

Perfectly entitled to it and contribute far more than I take out.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Child tax credits are a complete joke.

i have been told that if a couple split up they get (loads) more money separately for WTC and CTC than they did as a couple. Is this true?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Child tax credits are a complete joke.

i have been told that if a couple split up they get (loads) more money separately for WTC and CTC than they did as a couple. Is this true?

Don't know and not planning to split up however if both couples earn just below the thresholds then quids in, sadly we are not as I am over the limit.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
OK so you write the laws in the country do you ?

Perfectly entitled to it and contribute far more than I take out.

No, I don't write the laws of the country. I just think it's taking the piss and that's not aimed at you specifically.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
No, I don't write the laws of the country. I just think it's taking the piss and that's not aimed at you specifically.

Why is it taking the piss though when taxed so highly ?

I still contribute along with many others loads more than I take out.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
How do you calculate what you take out?

To be honest no idea but the point is I contribute a hell of a lot however others take loads and give nothing

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
I thought it was to encourage parents to go back to work. Since childcare costs take up such a large % of salary if you go back to work you lose most of your salary to the over-priced childcare providers which the government insist you use (has to be OFSTED providers, at twice the price of normal schemes).

Why don't they do something practical like giving tax breaks to grandparents who are willing to help look after kids.

Or they could directly subsidise the childcare schemes (like they already do for civil servants, who only have to pay about £33 per week for full-time childcare!), rather than just doling out free money and then asking for it back.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This is in NO WAY directed specifically at Beach Hut, who seems to be an all-round decent sort of chap, so I use him simply as an example...

But, how come people who have well paid, higher rate tax bracket managerial jobs, who enjoy foreign holidays, meals out etc etc still get £115 a month Child Tax Credits? I have no doubt that under the rules he is entitled to it, but it seems pointless to use the Social Security budget in this way.

Makes no sense.

That was sort of my point.

How does one even know if you are due these tax credit things?

Approximately how much do you need to earn to NOT qualify?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Err I never applied just received advice we would receive it.

Check on-line about thresholds

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Whoever told you that doesn't knwo what they're talking about. WTC is for people who work over 16 hours a week and are on a low income. It's effectively a top up. It is possible that a couple that split up might get a greater total than they did together but then they are single adults again so why does this matter ? CTC is normally only paid to one parent - usually the mother and wouldn't normally be affected by a couple spitting up.

Neither WTC nor CTC aren't particularly vast amounts of money anyway so where the "loads" comes from is beyond me.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

CTC changed this year (a lot less, obviously, with all the percentages on childcare costs and limits coming down). Very roughly you wouldn't get anything on a joint household income above approx £50,000 (before tax), and depending on various factors (number of children, childcare costs etc) it would rise as your joint household income fell. But you don't get too much until it hits £30,000 or less.

As for finding out, you just have to learn it and get your head round it. On a fairly low joint income, if we didn't get CTC help, it would be very difficult to meet childcare costs of £10,000+ a year from your post-tax income.

Cloud explains what the reason is, to try and help people to work, especially those who do not have grandparent or other support locally. There would be plenty of people moaning if those individuals weren't trying to work. Childcare costs are outrageous IMHO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here