Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Acted like a complete knobhead tonight.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Explain!

What happened?

Was it the steward being a knobhead or somebody else?

A Brighton supporter was leading some singing up the hill towards the stadium before the game.

Chief steward then decided to, unceremoniously, bundle the supporter to the other side of the road. The singing of course, stopped immediately.

When I asked the rather fat and ugly chief steward why he had adopted such an aggressive manner to the supporter, he said..." because he was waving his arms"....!!!!!

I realise that the rather fat and ugly Chief Steward wants a quiet night, and therefore wishes to stop any singing or general happiness of supporters, but given that we pay a lot of money in the hope of enjoying a spectacle and generate a decent atmosphere, is this obnoxious brute, really the right man for this position...?

PS; My question to him regarding his thuggish behaviour, was sufficient for him to immediately summon for assistance on his radio.........!

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Rather than complaining on here, why don't you make a formal complaint to the Club? If the stewards are SIA accredited, as they all should be, then a formal complaint requires a formal investigation and possible suspension or removal of qualifications. If they are continually underperforming, then a request to release the SIA-accrediting organisation should be made and then this should form the basis of a further complaint. We are about to start BTEC qualifying stewards for the 2012 olympics (SIA means nothing, every steward must hold the BTEC qualification, and we are rejecting people for the course at high numbers), and as an organisation, if we get it wrong we are going to be history. Everyone is entitled to an error of judgement, but if it is consistent then they can and should be held to account.

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
Thread 63781215 on the stewards at Withdean. There are some very good stewards, but unfortunately they also have some power crazy short men, these incidents need to be reported to the club.

Ronnie

Jan 6, 2009
The Herb Garden
You may find that in fact he was drunk and was issued a Section 27 by the Police which he ingored and was arrested. He was trying to incite trouble by his actions and the Chief Steward was doing him a favour. You do not come to a match drunk as you will not be allowed in LEAVE THE STEWARDS ALONE
Find someone else to moan about

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
A Brighton supporter was leading some singing up the hill towards the stadium before the game.

Chief steward then decided to, unceremoniously, bundle the supporter to the other side of the road. The singing of course, stopped immediately.

When I asked the rather fat and ugly chief steward why he had adopted such an aggressive manner to the supporter, he said..." because he was waving his arms"....!!!!!

I realise that the rather fat and ugly Chief Steward wants a quiet night, and therefore wishes to stop any singing or general happiness of supporters, but given that we pay a lot of money in the hope of enjoying a spectacle and generate a decent atmosphere, is this obnoxious brute, really the right man for this position...?

PS; My question to him regarding his thuggish behaviour, was sufficient for him to immediately summon for assistance on his radio.........!

One of the problems is that the external stewards are not really club stewards - they're hired help ! Should definately report it though.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Not really wishing to comment on what the guy was doing to get this steward to react, other then to say what jurisdiction does a steward have to bundle or to restrain outside the ground on a public highway? That surely is against the law, that's why we have police or is he using citizens arrest?

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
You can't use "citizens arrest" unless it is for an indictable offence (one that would or could be tried in a Crown Court) that is taking place or has taken place or is taking place. People seem to think they can use citizen's arrest for people nicking sweets from shops, whereas in reality all you are doing is occasioning assault and possibly an illegal restraint. As the Stewards are quite likely completely unaware of the contents of PACE, they are not able to make these arrests. We go over these scenarios on a regular basis in one of our training units, and people have no idea about the danger they place themselves into by believing they are simply "have a go" heroes. You also need to be aware of the element of "reasonable force" - for example, because I am larger and stronger than the average, my idea of a "slap" is going to cause a lot more damage than that of the average 5'3" female. Restraining someone whilst waiting for a policeman is similarly fraught with danger, legal and physical.

All the stewards can do is advise people that they should be considering their behaviour or they won't let them into the ground, which they have a full right to do. If they are manhandling people outside the ground they are out of their legal safety zone and need to be rebriefed by the people employing them.

Last edited:

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Anyone know what the guy was chucked out for just after half time in Block F/G?

Seemed pretty harmless to me.

simon195

Sep 11, 2007
as i said before the majority of stewards are pratts, ex trolly dollys from supermarkets, live at home with mummy, are cowards, as the west ham millwall game showed, and above all, complete and utter knobs who need a good beating!!!!:mad:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
as i said before the majority of stewards are pratts, ex trolly dollys from supermarkets, live at home with mummy, are cowards, as the west ham millwall game showed, and above all, complete and utter knobs who need a good beating!!!!:mad:

You're clearly a well balanced individual !

stu7878

mid air general
Oct 9, 2008
You may find that in fact he was drunk and was issued a Section 27 by the Police which he ingored and was arrested. He was trying to incite trouble by his actions and the Chief Steward was doing him a favour. You do not come to a match drunk as you will not be allowed in LEAVE THE STEWARDS ALONE
Find someone else to moan about

Leave the stewards alone???????
I'm not sure I can believe my eyes......:facepalm:

Reminds me of that youtube video "leave brittany alone!!" lol

You are quite obviously a steward then??? Or sucking one off??? :love:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here