Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chicken

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Did anyone else see the series of programmes with the outstanding Hugh Fearnly Whittingstall??

I used to f***ing love the two for a fiver chickens from Tesco, but having watched that I plumped for a nice free range bird last night, and it's true they do taste much better, I won't be going back.

:cool:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Been avoiding battery chickens for years, tried to persuade friends to do the same, I think HFW did a more convincing job though. "Chicken Out!"

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Did anyone else see the series of programmes with the outstanding Hugh Fearnly Whittingstall??

I used to f***ing love the two for a fiver chickens from Tesco, but having watched that I plumped for a nice free range bird last night, and it's true they do taste much better, I won't be going back.

Just curious like, did you really not know where your chickens were coming from and what conditions they were kept in, or have just never thought about it ?

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Glad someone has finally "plucked" up the courage to try and confront these big retailers. Its truly abhorent that we as a nation allow this to carry on.

When you're on a budget you need to assess how important things in your shopping trolley are....the packets of crisps she had in there are NOT important - its a mental thing - not a money thing as much as she might complain...Cutting back how much she puts on her plate might help with her weight too!! as well as save money....

The big retailers have a lot to be questioned about in my eyes - packaging is another...

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I reckon that if you are that upset about intensive chicken farming then it is a bit odd to agree with any form of farming. It is all quite cruel really. If Tesco wants to sell me a chicken for a couple of quid I couldn't give a tinkers f*** where it came from.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I reckon that if you are that upset about intensive chicken farming then it is a bit odd to agree with any form of farming. It is all quite cruel really. If Tesco wants to sell me a chicken for a couple of quid I couldn't give a tinkers f*** where it came from.

Fair point, but I hate the fact that its bred that way purely for economic reasons. Its like making money out of being cruel. Yes it costs more to be respectful to it whilst its alive, but personally for me I'd rather eat something that was raised as nature intended. Besides it tastes better.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

one more convert.....................anyone else...................you could go one better and stop eating meat altogether.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
The cost issue is rubbish. If you are buying 2 for a fiver, bear in mind the Free range one is £7 and is generally bigger. So the difference per bird is £4.50.

Now I am not saying there are some who simply can't afford that, but, for the cost of a pint and a half of Stella, or 17 or so fags, many of those locals in the pub were talking out of their arses. Just go home three quarters of an hour earlier from the pub one night a week, and hey presto, your family can eat chicken not reared under those conditions.

The economics stack up just fine. If Tescos etc can sell a free range bird for £7 now, then if 50% of their demand was for free range, they could easily reduce the costs to £5 due to economies of scale etc. No need for anyone to have to buy such horribly produced meat.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The taste aspect I agree with. Nature never intended for animals to be farmed. This idea that a free range chicken is running around in some blubell covered valley, being allowed to come and go as it pleases, being at one with it's surroundings as nature intended is a myth. They are penned in and while they do get to see some daylight they are fed artificial feed and rounded up in trucks with hundreds of other chickens to have their throats slit. Ahh, nature - it's a marvelous thing.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
Perhaps if that fat biffa single parent bought less cake she could afford free-range chicken?

Here, here.

Talk about trying to be group leader!

2 chickens please.......battery cheap ones and 6 cakes.

She was saying how thay are all ok as going to be eaten etc, then her child came out in f***ing teard and still didnt change her opinion. Just thought if I buy free range I can only buy 4 cakes.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003

I guess at the end of the day it is totally up to the individual what they want to put in their mouth.

The crap that is pumped into a battery chicken to make grow so fast, eat so much, doesn't bear thinking about. Perhaps you are OK with that, but I am not, and everyone should at least know the facts and be able to make up their own mind. At least the fre range chickens are not so intensivly bred, and they get to excercise, do other stuff. Farming ain't supposed to be pleasant, animals are killed, that's the process, but there is no reason to disrespect animals in that way.

If you put ingredients on the side of a battery chicken, then, like with other products full of Chemicals, E numbers, Palm Oil and other such shit, many more would change.

Last edited:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I guess at the end of the day it is totally up to the individual what they want to put in their mouth.

The crap that is pumped into a battery chicken to make grow so fast, eat so much, doesn't bear thinking about. Perhaps you are OK with that, but I am not, and everyone should at least know the facts and be able to make up their own mind.

If you put ingredients on the side of a battery chicken, then, like with other products full of Chemicals, E numbers, Palm Oil and other such shit, many more would change.

I can't argue with that I suppose but I reckon people put a lot worse in their bodies in one trip to the pub.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I've been aware of the issue for years now and only buy something that's been allowed to run about.

Poor old Jamie Oliver, did anyone see his groveling letter to Salisburys about the bad publicity the programme caused.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Agreed but does that then give us the right to farm it indecently if we do chose to eat it? (Which we obviously do)

I see what you mean but given that criteria all forms of farming are indecent.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I see what you mean but given that criteria all forms of farming are indecent.

Its indecent that it dies and we eat it yes, but its not indecent to raise it as it nature intended.

Step back to eating eggs then, I prefer eggs from free ranging birds. They live a good life and in looking after them we get better eggs. They die of old age rather than a stun gun. Thats decent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here