Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chernobyl - now

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Interesting, if a little scary. Kind of makes you wonder when they'll have another disaster what with the former soviet block being utterly knackered.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Abosultely phenomenal ... only breezed through it but really moved .... a wonderful narrative and incredible pix.
Gonna read it properly at my own leisure tonight ...
Cheers Wozza

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
80's Seagull said:
Interesting, if a little scary. Kind of makes you wonder when they'll have another disaster what with the former soviet block being utterly knackered.

Should look no further than Dounreay on the north coast of Scotland .... an experimental nuclear plant built in the 1950s and has been a disaster waiting to happen for many years.
The decommissioning started 5 years ago and will take decades to complete.
Some of the land there will remain contaminated for up to 2,000 years.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
There was almost a complete meltdown at Dounreay in 1965 .... it fecked the second reactor so bad that it is still dodgy.
Most of the fuel rods they had to bury in a deep shaft .... a shaft which is being systematically emptied and sealed as part of the current decommissioning ..... afraid this type of thing isn't just confined to the former Soviet Union

Last edited:

Hungry Joe.

Mar 5, 2004
British Upper Beeding
Incredible stuff, well done Wozza for posting that. I know a little about radiation having been treated with radiotherapy. The relatively small doses I had made me feel sick, blistered my armpits, made some of my hair fall out and utterly drained me of energy. The longer term effects have been a constant pain in my ribs due to damage to the bone and tissue caused by the radiation (something common amongst breast cancer patients treated with radiotherapy also). The suffering caused by Chernobyl is unimaginable.
I remember seeing the pictures of the divers going into the radioactive waters knowing they would certainly die. That is Russian spirit Mr.Abramovich.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Looking at those pics, I just had an idea - surely we'd get planning permission for a new ground there?

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
made me absolutley sick with fear to think about the firemen, many of whom died inside 5 hours of trying to put out the flames of the initial blast. it's even more incredible to think that the parliament refused to tell them or the russian public what was happening until it hit the foreign news agencies.
and to think we wouldnt give our firemen a pay rise last year.... hmmmm somehting called perspective i feel.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
On April 25th -26th, 1986 the World's worst nuclear power accident occurred at Chernobyl in the former USSR (now Ukraine).

Thats just in case another computer virus comes out causing meltdowns on the recipient computer (wrote to the flash component on the motherboard causing the computer to be unusable) and was circulated a few hours before the Anti-Virus bods sussed it even existed. The virus came out first on 26 April.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
A terrible indictment to a horrific accident and the lack of understanding of modern nuclear sceince.

Awesome pictures that perhaps show all the reasons why Communism failed.

RIP those many thousand of people who did not need to die.

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Ex-Shoreham
cheers for that wozza... havent seen that before and just read it back to front.

VERY interesting, and thought provoking.

think i might go take some pics there!! would make some cracking shots...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here