Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Chelsea - what a bunch of tubes

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
They get to revise it in January, don't they? So he'll just miss the group games, which he might not mind given there are also two international breaks between now and then.

They do. It just highlights how bloated the squad is. Hopefully, they crash out in the first stage.

pigmanovich

Good Old Sausage by the Sea
Mar 16, 2024
London
They do. It just highlights how bloated the squad is. Hopefully, they crash out in the first stage.
I'm with you on that.

By contrast, I hear Spurs haven't filled all their spots for the first half of their UEL campaign.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Also in the grand scheme of things £76m isn't actually that much (a Mudryck?).
Player costs are spread over multiple financial seasons, as any dullard will tell you.

So £76m covers a lot of installments.

They've have shedloads of player sales too. £150m?

Looks like they're making things work, annoyingly.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Double post

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
In terms of the sale of the hotels, I presume that means they now can no longer consider them assets and any revenues generated from them can not count towards future PSR compliance? I would hope that this is very much a pound today rather than two pounds kind of behaviour and have actually caused themselves a problem in the longer term. Sadly, I suspect it might not be the case but I am hopeful!
I think I read somewhere that they only sold the hotels, NOT the revenue stream.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
They've have shedloads of player sales too. £150m? Looks like they're making things work, annoyingly.

It's not all as it seems; to sell Maatsen (for £37.5m), they had to buy Kellyman (£20m 🤯) as part of the deal. They sold Lukaku for less than his book value, so didn't profit there.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
One thing this and the Leicester PSR joke have shown up is that the EPL PSR/FFP rules are full of holes. It's not like the EPL are skint, so why on earth don't they pay the money to the same lawyers the clubs will use when developing these rules to make them fit for purpose?

Surely they don't want loop holes for the 'too big to fail' clubs to exploit do they................................
PSR did not cover all eventualities but how could they have forecasted that some clubs might get relegated?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
What I don't understand about Chelsea is they are getting rid of decent players and replacing them with ones that are apparent upgrades, but to a certain extent unknown quantities who might take time to settle and gel into a team. Why don't they just try and work with what they have?

I thought they were trying to get the wage bill down by doing this. New signings on slightly less wages than existing ones. At least that's a logic explanation but Todd doesn't really do logical does he?

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I thought they were trying to get the wage bill down by doing this. New signings on slightly less wages than existing ones. At least that's a logic explanation but Todd doesn't really do logical does he?
That's exactly what Clearlake want to do. They offer total value contracts over a long period. It's a hedge model for the player and their advisors. Caicedo got an increase over his Brighton package (but nowhere near as inflated as some suggested) - but the attraction will have been e.g. £100k a week over an 8 year period. They'll be all manner of performance and break clauses built in but if Caicedo plays his part he knows that he has a contract worth £41.6m.

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
From the BBC Football Gossip page today:

Chelsea are open to sending England left-back Ben Chilwell, 27, on loan to Turkey, although they are yet to receive any offers. (Telegraph - subscription required)

Made me laugh, chortle etc

I have of course made myself available for selection by Real Madrid; although I am yet to receive an offer of employment.

Chelsea really are a bunch of tubes aren't they?

TNBA

TTF
Chelsea is quite likely a money laundering operation for Clear Lake capital . Players are simply assets to be bought and sold . The whole set up maybe based on doing as many transactions as possible . Stupid as their actions may seem it is much bigger than Chelsea football club. And part of a plan - these people are cleverer than they look

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
Lovely club, Chopper Harris chip off the old block etc.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
CFC must be the most detested club in the country. Unfortunately I can see them doing quite well this season, simply because of the talent they have available. Really hope we beat them at Stamford Bridge at the end of the month.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here