Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chelsea vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Chelsea at homd have played Sheff Utd in their first game back in the Prem, a Leicester team that will go third with a win tomorrow and Liverpool who have won 7 from 7. We haven't been stuffed 0-8 like Watford against City last week. If you think we SHOULD get something away at Chelsea then you are delusional I'm afraid. They are paying 18 year olds more than our highest earners!

We were a crossbar away from equalising which would have turned the game on its head and who knows what would have happened. We didn't score and Chelsea scored a second that on another day gets deflected for a corner. A lot of over reacting on here tonight in my opinion. In general I think we are playing our best football since we've been in the Premier League, we just need to learn to be more clinical.

All rational stuff, you’re right. But Potter admitted we’d been outplayed, Lampard said it should’ve been a far higher score and Radio Sussex said it could easily have been 5, 6 or 7 - nil.

It was not a close competition, unluckily decided by fine margins. Brighton were outclassed by a team containing top internationals and the cream of former development players.

I’m not depressed about that. Winnable games start soon, then we’ll soon find out where our destiny lies next season.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We were a crossbar away from equalising which would have turned the game on its head and who knows what would have happened. We didn't score and Chelsea scored a second that on another day gets deflected for a corner.

That's a very blue-and-white-striped-glasses view. If not for some inspired blocking and some poor finishing, Chelsea would have been out of sight by half-time. We rode our luck MASSIVELY in the first half.

I'm surprised their xG for the game is only 4.62, but even that gives an indication of just how they blew us away (other than hit the back of the net)

Screenshot 2019-09-28 at 20.05.36.png

Source: https://understat.com/match/11708

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That's a very blue-and-white-striped-glasses view. If not for some inspired blocking and some poor finishing, Chelsea would have been out of sight by half-time. We rode our luck MASSIVELY in the first half.

I'm surprised their xG for the game is only 4.62, but even that gives an indication of just how they blew us away (other than hit the back of the net)

View attachment 115719

Source: https://understat.com/match/11708

Resulting in attempts on target:
Chelsea 10
Brighton 1

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Way to much negativity on here tonight, we lost to Chesea ffs, not exactly a shock is it?

Worst Chelsea team in years blah blah blah, but still better than any Brighton team over the corresponding period, so they had a few youngsrers playing, youngsters that have played or are close to playing full international football and all have experience of playing previously in the Premier league or top end of the championship. Every other player in their team has serious quality.

Our team? Pretty much down to the bare bones, we had youngsters playing too, except their experience amounts to a dozen or so games for Swindon Town and a couple for Luton Town in the bottom two divisions.

As for Chelsea's awful home form, they've only played 3 games at home before today and the only team to beat them were Liverpool.

We are currently 7 games into a new era, the football is chalk and cheese compared to last season, there was a lot of things that needed addressing within a team that was clearly woefully short of confidence at the end of last season and only stayed up by the skin of their teeth. Frankly i am amazed at how quickly that transformation has occurred, it's by no means the finished product but we are, in my opinion, playing better football than at any time since we've been in the Premier League.

Yes the stats at half time didn't make pretty reading today, but it was still 0-0 at half time. In the second half we were undone by an unfortunate heavy touch from Webster leading to the penalty and a deflected shot for their second. At the other end Alzate had his own deflected shot carried just inches wide and Burns downward header had just a little too much weight on it, otherwise it goes under the bar instead of hitting it. We also had more possession than Chelsea and i thought we were the better team in the second half. All this while being ravaged by injuries to some of our better and most experienced players.

I'm sure the likes of Spence wont agree, it doesn't suit his agenda, but i see plenty to be positive about, bet we're not in the bottom 3 after the Spurs game next week like he predicted.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
I loved him as an Albion player, defended him right to the end, but I wonder if a lack of pace at PL level was beginning to tell?

Well gross was terrible today and he got no pace neither have have our team come to think of it .
But he was capable of opening up defences and scoring beautiful goals like palace away , Match can only dream of scoring a goal like that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Show me a goal March scored that equals knocky goal at palace in prem ..... I rest my case

I can show you a goal scored by Paulo Wanchope which is better. That doesn't automatically mean Wanchope is the better.

How many games did Knockaert come on from the bench and completely change the game? March has been a game changer on ore than one occasion.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Footballs better - results the same - gonna be a long old season. Did anyone really think we wouldn’t be in a relegation scrap? Chelsea should have been out of sight by half time. Terrible mistake from Webster but that’s how we play now. Although I thought the idea was to try and beat the high press. Sometimes they need to boot it away. I think we’ll just stay up. Would like to see Murray paired with Maupay at some point. Thought we missed Propper as well. Mooy yet to convince.

The idea is to play our way out of the high press so the opposition are so tired chasing shadows they can't shoot straight. In this way possession football is the best form of defence.

Three at the back with wing-backs is still suicide though.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Show me a Knockaert goal better than Ryan Harley's feee kick. Yeah, your statement is utterly ****ing shit.
March is a better player than knockeart, you can tell by observing them play.

Since August 18 Solly really upped his game, overcoming a lack of confidence at PL level.

He’s also far better defensively than all the other wide midfielders we’ve had for ages. Nullifying the Gravity Whore from the Amex match last December for example.

Last edited:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I can show you a goal scored by Paulo Wanchope which is better. That doesn't automatically mean Wanchope is the better.

How many games did Knockaert come on from the bench and completely change the game? March has been a game changer on ore than one occasion.

Paolo Wanchope was a very good player, bit of a weird example.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green

But we never had Wanchope in our squad . Knocky is a game changer March not .

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Very odd day, we were back of lower tier behind the goal and ordered to sit down but could not see the goal in front of us as the lot infront around two steps down were allowed to stand.

Will avoid the lower tier if we go there again.

That lower stand is shocking. We were about half way back and because everybody was standing in front of us, we had to stand, and the top of the goal roof net in front of us obliterated the view of the far goal, so never saw the Chelsea goals.
Was it you lot rowing with the stewards at the end of the match?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
That lower stand is shocking. We were about half way back and because everybody was standing in front of us, we had to stand, and the top of the goal roof net in front of us obliterated the view of the far goal, so never saw the Chelsea goals.
Was it you lot rowing with the stewards at the end of the match?

No, it kicked off with the stewards right at the start of the game when we were told to sit down but those in front were not as we were the back 5 or so rows.

I sat the steward in my seat and said this view is rubbish and he didn't disagree so decided to stand in the aisle behind him and lasted about 35 minutes till another one told to go to my seat. TBH I thought I might be ejected at half-time when I went to the bar area but nothing happened. There were quite a few disagreements to say the least between fans about this.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I disagree. I thought he was crap and gangly but he did score a wonder goal against United in the days when United were at their peak hence why he was used as an example.

Fair enough, he scored about 50 Premier League goals whilst playing for very average teams, something neither Knockaert or March have done or are ever likely to do.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
But we never had Wanchope in our squad . Knocky is a game changer March not .

The Knocky whilst sulking on the wing ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here