Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chelsea v Man Utd

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Being a footy message board thought I'd bring this up.

Ex Chelsea players have, on the whole, made pretty decent managers. Ex Man Utd players have been dire, despite ths SAF factor. Anyone got a definitive reason why?

Particularly look forward to the morons saying 'who cares'

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Being a footy message board thought I'd bring this up.

Ex Chelsea players have, on the whole, made pretty decent managers. Ex Man Utd players have been dire, despite ths SAF factor. Anyone got a definitive reason why?

Particularly look forward to the morons saying 'who cares'

Just to keep you happy .....who cares?

And don't call me a moron!

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Brains beating brawn?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Ok my bad, anyone that has interest in football and knows how it works.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I don't think it's true that ex-Chelsea players have made better managers. There are countless ex-United players in management, many of whom managed in the Premier League and Championship and top levels in other nations too.
Successfully?

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I don't think it's true that ex-Chelsea players have made better managers. There are countless ex-United players in management, many of whom managed in the Premier League and Championship and top levels in other nations too.

Agree with this. What I think is interesting is how many have wanted to go into management from both clubs. I think it shows a track record from both clubs of signing strong characters.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
[wrong thread :facepalm:]

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Perhaps it's just the fact I find no ex Man Utd player has made a good manager? Unless you lot know of one?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
What prompted you to make this thread?

I would say that McClaren & Robson, even Hughes, McClaren, Keane, Bruce & Strachan are far more accomplished managers than Di Matteo, Poyet - or whoever else you're referring to?

I didn't refer to anyone, but I do find the success of ex Man Utd players, now managers, in the winning era astonishingly bad. At least RDM won the European Cup.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Perhaps it's just the fact I find no ex Man Utd player has made a good manager? Unless you lot know of one?

Does Steve Coppell count?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I didn't refer to anyone, but I do find the success of ex Man Utd players, now managers, in the winning era astonishingly bad. At least RDM won the European Cup.

I think the likes of Poyet, Clarke, RDM and Rodgers all spent time as number 2 or youth managers before stepping up to the big job, even Mclaren falls into that category, and have had relative success.

Keane, Bruce, Ince etc.. all went straight into the number 1 job, so maybe they struggle more?

Hughes played for both so I have no idea....

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Does Steve Coppell count?

Absolutely, although not a player under SAF, and a good manager that never had real success. But as Postman Pat points out, the managers that went from Chelsea to the top job seem to have been better, although I wonder why the managers of SAFs era have never managed it themselves, much like Cloughies players didn't.

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer just won the Norwegian championship in his first job as manager. I think I remember reading it was the first league title for the club (or first in a very long time).
But in general, I wonder if it has anything to do with the English game moving away from the 4-4-2 and adopting a more European approach. Most recent Man Utd players who have gone into management have been schooled at British clubs and received their football education under a 4-4-2 system. The Chelsea players on the other hand (Gullit, RDM, Poyet etc) come from backgrounds where they would have received training under different systems.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here