Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chelsea reserves in the Championship

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
why don't they just loan their players to championship sides? oh, but it benefits both parties, not just chelsea. one of their lot, jimmy smith has been on loan at qpr and has been amazing. yes, they should get regular football, but that is what loans are for imo.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Not liking the bloke but think people are reading far too much into this, all he said was his reserves could complete in the championship not really a major statement.
And the Spanish B teams are pretty much youth teams and never really do very well because as soon as a player becomes good he gets promoted (see Messi at Barca). Personally I think it is a good system because it allows youth players to get experience without farming them out on loan so they can still train with the first team and coaches etc. and still get competive football in front of crowds (again see Barca MiniStada 30,000 or so)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There's probably a really obvious answer to this, & I just haven't thought of it, but:-

Who was the last Chelsea player to play a substantial amount of a season, after being developed through the youth system, from an early teenager?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Rookie said:
Not liking the bloke but think people are reading far too much into this, all he said was his reserves could complete in the championship not really a major statement.

His reserves would be in the top six teams of the Premiership, they'd bloody walk the Championship.

Icy Gull said:
words out of my mouth

Probably inspired by what the Spanish used to do, maybe they still do. I don't remember that whover it was, a Barcelona or Madrid feeder club no doubt, but they couldn't be promoted to the top division, even though they'd won the league, because they were effectively the reserve team of a top division club.

Yeah, Barca, Valencia and reial all have B teams in the Secunda Division.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Mourinho,great guy :clap: I dont have a problem with Chelsea,sure they want to play their players,ok. i say local F/A accept Chelsea's bid for a 2nd team. Let Lamps,etc hit the tackles/hardman.:lolol: :lolol: :albion:

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Stat Brother said:
There's probably a really obvious answer to this, & I just haven't thought of it, but:-

Who was the last Chelsea player to play a substantial amount of a season, after being developed through the youth system, from an early teenager?

Terry? Wasn't he like thirteen when he joined the academy.

Their reserves can have our place when we are removed to the conference or whatever the FA chose to do to us.

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
On a vaguely related note, did anyone else read Eddie Gray saying loans shouldn't be allowed cos they deny youth players a place in the first team? What a knob. Loans are the only way young players do get to play for a first team these days.

Last edited:

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Simon Morgan said:
i f***ing hate him and all those smug pricks at chelsea. all of them. they are poisoning our game and i hope they crash and burn.

you don't think that Chelsea are responsible for bringing to the forefront some of the best English talent we've seen for years ???

I do !!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Stat Brother said:

You could say that about most clubs.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Kinky Gerbils said:
You could say that about most clubs.

Starry, I was thinking Terry, but then convinced myself they picked him up from Barnet or somewhere like that.

Kinks, I don't think you can, Utd obviously well represented. Arsenal is slightly more difficult, now Cole has gone, but at least they have 'developed' youth, albeit foreign talent. Scousers Gerrard etc, and so on.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Stat Brother said:
Starry, I was thinking Terry, but then convinced myself they picked him up from Barnet or somewhere like that.

Kinks, I don't think you can, Utd obviously well represented. Arsenal is slightly more difficult, now Cole has gone, but at least they have 'developed' youth, albeit foreign talent. Scousers Gerrard etc, and so on.

This is true, but Utd and Liverpool have had a History of doing it, I dont think Chelsea have have they?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I am not really sure if i am for aor against this really.

Sending players out on loan is all very well, but I suppose I am one of those of the old school who prefer to see players sign for a club and stick with them. If you take Whing for example.....there is every chance he will return in january, so the format of the team is disrupted and we have to find someone to take his place. Bowditch appears to be one of those unlucky loans whereby the player is injured( like Stokes) and John will probably be gone back in jan.

If Morinho recons that the only way his players get a game is by sending them out on loan that is more a sad inditement of football mega rich clubs who buy everyone up and dont play them...look at Forsell....he was a Chelsea player for years, but played at Palace and Birmingham for most of them.

robbied69

Sep 20, 2005
North London
So what would that mean for the fans? support 2 teams, fork out twice for games?

Mourinho is a prick of the highest order.

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Simster said:
You've got right on your side there MAX.

I'm fed up with that gobby arsehead buying all the good players on 100 grand a week wages and then wheeling them out about 3 times a season.

I think he's a cock knocker.

Is it really him or that smoo faced Russian. Come on WHO HAS REALLY COCKED OUR FOOTBALL UP!!!!

:censored:

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
It's a good idea as loaning players out is crap, loans should be abolished and if you can't afford to buy players or develop your own youths then you shouldn't be in the league.
They should make a stipulation if Chelsea B want to start in League 2 with Man U B etc they must have half the team as ENGLISH players and must be under 23.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here