Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Chelsea moaning about PSR

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Lots in the media at the moment from Chelsea/Maresca, and other high spending clubs, where they're moaning about PSR rules and blaming it for why they have to sell academy players to balance the books... Are PSR rules the problem? Or possibly was it that billion pounds Chelsea spent on incoming transfers? They'll get little sympathy I expect...

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Them, the hand choppers, Everton and Villa, will co-ordinate their media moaning campaign about this, you watch.

That said, this is in part to deflect fan criticism, after a few ropey pre season results and a sale of a popular player

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
So the club tell Gallagher that he needs to go to Atleti or he'll be frozen out. Then when he does go, the manager goes, "hey, this wasn't our fault, just another dagger from PSR."

Maybe they shouldn't have bought another keeper this summer without selling Kepa first. Or I don't know, maybe don't sign KDH when you've already got Gallagher, if you want to keep him.

Pathetic club.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
IMG_7977.gif

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
A bit like Newcastle and Villa fans feeling punished for their success after having to offload players before June 30th.

They had a choice of how to use their budget, and both chose to use it getting to the Champions League, and then having to sell assets after achieving it.

Anderson and Minteh won’t be too much of a miss for Newcastle, but Douglas Luiz is leaving a big hole in the Villa midfield that Onana has to fill.

Chelsea are in the same category. They are (or were) on their way up towards the Champions League, but it is extremely difficult without going over PSR restrictions.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Pass the tissues
Tell you what, why don't you instead sell me a box of tissues for £45m, that I'll then sell back to you for £45m – not only does that mop up any tears, it also helps with PSR figures.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
The fact that youth players are seen as 'pure profit' or however its been phrased and so represent a quick way of balancing the books is not what's 'forcing them to sell' Gallagher and creating issues for them. The issues have very obviously arisen from spending over a billion pounds on transfers within a few years, and any deflection from that by people at Chelsea is just laughable... Poor old Chelsea having to sell a player to maintain their over spending.

:tears:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
All of this reminded me of when FBS renamed Withdean to Palookaville for a game. OK, it was in the Championship, but were we pushing PSR a little bit back then.
I'd imagine back in the day FBS paid a minimal amount, but still can we do it again for a bit more money?

chrisg

Apr 9, 2012
They are still buying players on 7 year contracts.

They changed the law to maximum 5 year ones from July 1 2024 I read, so someone enlighten me why 7 year ones are still handed out ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here