Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chelsea have 50% sell on clause on Leon!!

Beeneys gloves

Jul 7, 2003
Dont know if this has been mentioned, but saw it on the online argus and whatever we sell Knight for we have to give them half of it. Bit tight I think because it would be loose change for Roman, but means we have to get over £2million (unlikely) if its going to be worth anything to us!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
When you consider how much potential he has and we got him for nothing, I'm not complaining.

Might also mean that we won't let him go cheaply, so he may be here for a while :clap2:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Not a great surprise. We got a quality striker for next to nothing who has scored over 20 goals for us this year.
I agree that it is a bit tight though but we can't expect favours from them just because they've got bucket laods of moolah.

Anyone know what sell on we've negotiated for Iwelumo?

Beeneys gloves

Jul 7, 2003
Didnt we pay £100k for him?

Not complaining too much either, but it means that any offer we get isnt going to be half as attractive as it sounds.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Beeneys gloves said:
Didnt we pay £100k for him?

Not complaining too much either, but it means that any offer we get isnt going to be half as attractive as it sounds.

I thought the 100k was only due if (when!) we get promoted?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Icy Gull said:
I thought the 100k was only due if (when!) we get promoted?

That's right so we have a player who has scored 21 goals so far, not paid a penny for him and we're moaning that we have to pay 50% of his sell on.

If we get promoted then we won't be selling him anyway.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
What is of more concern is that he's out of contract at the end of next season. If Leon did leave I think a tribunal would decide a compensation figure providing we also offered him a contract. We could be screwed if he stays out of contract until his birthday 16/9 as I think this rule only applies to players under 23.

Beeneys gloves

Jul 7, 2003
DTES said:
Actually, I think it will. :dunce:

How would it be, if someone came in for £750,000 then we only get about £375,000.

I know we got him for next to nothing, and any fee we get is a bonus, I just think 50% is a bit steep especially for a club of Chelsea's riches.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I do hope if we have to sell him we can negotiate a sell on for ourselves and NOT have to give half of that to the Russians.

Basically this sell on clause is going to keep his transfer fee artificially high which can only be a good thing. I think if we don't go up this year we will definitely go up next year and I don't think Knight would leave us in the first division.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Beeneys gloves said:
How would it be, if someone came in for £750,000 then we only get about £375,000.

I know we got him for next to nothing, and any fee we get is a bonus, I just think 50% is a bit steep especially for a club of Chelsea's riches.

Basically, unless someone comes in with silly money then we won't sell him. My bet is he'll go as a swap deal that values him at £100k shafting Chelsea like Spurs shafted us.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Beeneys gloves said:

Exactly. It's half. So it does sound half as attractive. :jester:

Nov 3, 2003
makes you sit up and realise what absolute sh1te deal Silent struck for the club over Zamora nd how he gets thruogh a loophole with his Hammers move. Laurel and HArdy another fine mess youve got the club into Silent and great lost opportunitry clearly the difference between professional football club like Chelesea and the Albion an poor contrast, yes of course he was good value at 100k and you can argue weve received some that payback already but it doesnt alter the way the admin at the Albion screwed up the Zamora deala and hearing the Leon del that Chelski struck makes yopiu all the more sick

Jason Speaks

Feb 4, 2004
Portslade
I think its' fair.

If they'd asked us for a fee in the first place it would have been somewhere in the region of 100 to 200 thousand. If we sell him it's not going to be much more than £400,000.

In effect Chelsea get there fee when we are in a financial position to pay it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here